This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Genetic Testing Explanation

Stringcheese32

Stringcheese32 Explorer

Hi everyone!  I know I told everyone that I tested positive for celiac gene pairs, I was just hoping to get an explanation of what they mean:

DQ Alpha 1 03:01, 05

DQ Beta 1 03:01, 03:02

DQ Serological Equivalent: 7, 8

Thank you!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Stringcheese32 Explorer

Also, I know that the DQ2 is the most common one representing celiac disease.  

I have low IgA-35

and my DGP Igg - 34.8 (medium to strong positive is greater than 30)

All the IgA labs were within range.

I have Hashimoto's as well.

My vitamin D level is 23.

I guess I'm wondering how likely it is that I have celiac disease.  The genes I have are not the worst ones to have, I believe, and while my DGP Igg is high it's not crazy high.  I'm still awaiting a call back from the GI as the PA told me to go gluten free for two weeks and then reintroduce it (this was last week while the GI was out of the office).  I guess I'm wondering what the point of that really is...

Thanks again everyone for your help and advice as I navigate this...

emma6 Enthusiast

i've researched a little about the genes i have you can find out if they are assosciated with other illnesses/autoimmune diseases. but i don't think knowing the details of every gene is going to help diagnose you any futher than just knowing you have the gene becuse either way it just means you have an increased chance.  if you're iga deficient did you have ttg igg as well?

Stringcheese32 Explorer
15 minutes ago, emma6 said:

if you're iga deficient did you have ttg igg as well?

No, they didn't test my ttg igg, which I was surprised about considering the low IgA and positive DGP Igg. (The tests they did were IgA serum, Ttg IgA, DGP Igg and IgA and gene testing) If he ever returns my call, I was going to ask him about that.  He initially wanted to set up a endoscopy, but I told him I had one last year (with my prior GI) and he said he'd take a look at it and we'd go from there, except that was two weeks ago and I haven't heard from him.  My prior GI did take biopsies, I believe to rule out H.Pylori and I was told biopsy results were normal, however, I didn't receive a pathology report or anything like that.

Archived