This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Brownie recipe-leaves me feeling 'glutened'

Karenshine

Karenshine Newbie

I have a brownie recipe I have modified to make gluten free, and every time I eat it, I end up feeling 'glutened'-severe heartburn, gas, bloating, the works. I use my own gluten-free flour mixture, toll house cocoa, baking powder, salt, butter, eggs, and vanilla. All are labeled without glutinous ingredients. Eaten separately, I don't react to any of the ingredients. Any ideas what might be going on?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

What did you sub for real gluten?  Gluten makes baked goods "stretch and bind".  Bakers often add more gluten (a separate ingredient) in bread.  Did your flour mixture contain any gums?  I personally can not tolerate Xanthan Gum yet it does not bother my hubby.  Too bad for me, I can not eat most commercially produced gluten-free bread products (still after three years!)   So, I use other gums like guar gum.  Pamela makes a decent gluten-free mixture that does not contain xanthan gum.  

Ennis-TX Grand Master

I had a very similar initial reaction when I remade my black bean fudge brownies.....I find the cocoa butter seems to bother me. End us using more of a blend of cocoa powder and coconut oil instead of chocolate chips. This might be it for you or it might be a synergistic effect with something and the dairy making it harder on your digestive system IE the breakdown of the milk and cocoa fats and proteins in combination.

GFinDC Veteran

Most chocolate has dairy in it and also soy.  So if you are reacting either of those they could be the issue.  Enjoy Life makes dairy free, soy-free chocolate chips.  Baker's Secret plain unsweetened chocolate bars have no soy or dairy also.

If it's not the chocolate the next most likely problem ingredient would be the flour mixture.  One of the ingredients might be contaminated with gluten.

Archived