This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Weight Loss Supplement

Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Okay, I am fed up......

Ever since I was on steriods earlier this year (which made me balloon up to 200 lbs.), I have been unable to shed the excess, even though I have greatly curtailed my calorie intake.....

I now firmly believe that the steriods somehow "shut down" my metabolism or something. I am now to the point where I am willing to try some kind of weight loss supplement that will kickstart my metabolism again. Does anyone know of any gluten free ones?

I need to start to feel myself again. It's bad enough that I have to deal with SAD from November to February, where every day is a struggle from falling into the abyss, but the fact that I don't feel good about myself physically either just compounds the problem. It is extremely frustrating.

Thanks guys!

Karen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rusla Enthusiast

Karen,

Was it Prednisone you were on. It is by far one of the worst steroids going. Every time I have a severe asthma attack or get stung by a wasp they try to feed me that stuff. I gain 60 lbs in a week on that nasty stuff. Then it takes forever to come off.

First they tried me on Budesonide, when that didn't work, they had me on Prednisone for six weeks, which didn't work either. But I had six weeks of gaining weight at breakneck speed and now I can't shake it.....

Karen

jenvan Collaborator

Karen-the current issue of natural health has an article on natural metabolism boosters. it was interesting. you can't get the article online, but i have it and could send it to you. its referenced here: Open Original Shared Link

Rusla Enthusiast

Karen,

Prednisone is by far one of the worst. You gain weight the fastest on it and lose weight exceedingly slow. Not only that but it can cause other problems with prolonged use. When they give it to me to take if it is only one little pill for 3 days, I will take it, if it is 10 pills a day...now way. My last big episode with it took over a year to lose what it put on.

debbiewil Rookie

Just to prove everyone's different - I lost weight on prednisone when I was on it last year. The doctor only gave me enough for twelve days, but I lost 4 pounds during those 12 days. Since I am, and always have been overweight, I thought it was great. :) But I have had completely indiosyncratic reactions to medicines before - stimulants can put me right to sleep, for instance.

Debbie

Guest kim07
Okay, I am fed up......

Ever since I was on steriods earlier this year (which made me balloon up to 200 lbs.), I have been unable to shed the excess, even though I have greatly curtailed my calorie intake.....

I now firmly believe that the steriods somehow "shut down" my metabolism or something. I am now to the point where I am willing to try some kind of weight loss supplement that will kickstart my metabolism again. Does anyone know of any gluten free ones?

I need to start to feel myself again. It's bad enough that I have to deal with SAD from November to February, where every day is a struggle from falling into the abyss, but the fact that I don't feel good about myself physically either just compounds the problem. It is extremely frustrating.

Thanks guys!

Karen

Hey Karen,

I broke out in hives over a bad reaction to medication 3 weeks ago, and the doctors had to put me on Prednisone. One Prednisone wasn't enough, so they put me on 3, which was too much, and I could barely stay awake. Finally my allergist told me to cut it back to 2 a day. I was on that dose for about 2 1/2 weeks before the Hives ended. I never broke out in Hives or any skin condition before and was told it could last from 2-4 or 6-8 weeks, and didn't want to stay on the Prednisone that long. Mainly, because the drug made me so darn tired, I was miserable, and in bed constantly. I was taking 2 anti-histamines with it, so that didn't help with the drowsines either.

Everytime I would visit the doctor and get weighed, one day I would put on 4 lbs it seemed.

It really helped me, I was absolutely miserable with my hives, couldn't sleep, itching constantly. But I can understand how frustrated you must feel to have to keep taking it!

Why do you have to take such a large dose, do you mind telling me? I was curious. What is SAD?

I guess my only advice, I could give you, would be to be very diligent and watchful, and careful, about the products for weight loss out on the market? (They kind of scare me). But at the same time, I can totally understand your predictament, and I would probably do the same, just make sure it's safe! But I'm sure you already know that!

I hope the time comes soon when you don't have to take Prednisone every day! It's a good, effective drug, but it's a pain in the ass when it comes to weight gain.

New to the board-

Kim

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Hi Kim!

Actually, I haven't been on it for months now but still have not been able to lose the weight that I gained when I was on it.

I was on prednisone for 6 weeks. It was a regiment of 6 pills a day for a week, next week 5 pills a day, next week 4 pills a day, gradually getting down to 0. It totally threw my system for a loop. I was put on it for treatment for collagenous colitis. I am one of the few that didn't respond to the treatment though.....

Here is a link about collagenous colitis to help you understand (1 in 150,000 people get this.......):

Open Original Shared Link

Karen

Jnkmnky Collaborator

You can't just cut back on calories. I hope you're lifting some weights. Get little 3-5 lb handweights and little strap on ankle weights. Nothing expensive, nothing heavy... you're not training to be a body builder! But you have to work your muscles in order to lose the weight. Your body will burn extra calories "repairing" the muscles while you sleep. Do it for a mere 15 minutes a day to start. The next week lay on the floor during your favorite show and do it for an entire half hour. You will be helping yourself way more than cutting calories. (I, for one, hate cutting calories. I eat what I want and do a few extra leg lifts!)

Nantzie Collaborator

Oh My Gosh! I never knew that prednisone could make you gain weight!!!

That must have been what happened to me. I had slowly gained some weight in my late 20's. But then about three weeks before my wedding I broke out in really bad hives. They were all over, even on my face. The doctor put me on a course of prednisone. I gained at least 5 pounds that last few weeks, then another 20 the first few months I was married. I wrote it off as stress. And ever since then, trying to lose weight was (to make a long story short) impossible. At one point, I went and had my metabolism checked and they said that I was only burning 1100 calories a day. :huh: At that point I had been walking at least 5 miles a day 3-4 times a week for months. My body shape was changing and I'd gone down a size, but the scale wasn't moving. If it had only been a few weeks that I'd been exercising, I would have written that off as muscle gain, but it had been months.

I did have HUGE success on The Six Week Body Makeover (yes, the informercial). www.provida.com has a message board that is open to anybody. They don't allow people to post specifics on what the diet is, but if you go do your free body profile that tells you what body type you are, you can go to the type-specific boards and by reading the past posts you can extrapolate a little bit and get an idea of what your body type needs. The basics are - no sugar, no salt, no wheat, no dairy and no oil. Then it's food combining, eating certain things only at certain times of day, and portion control.

It worked really great for me. I was 185 when I started. I lost 7 pounds the first week, but I looked like I had lost 15. I looked completely different. I hadn't realized how much of how I looked was because I was bloated. The first six weeks I lost 20 pounds. The weight was just falling off. Every couple of days I was down a pound or so. (Gotta love digital scales...) My friends started calling me the incredible shrinking woman :D . Then I took a break for a few months because of a lot of stress in my family. I didn't gain weight during that time. I fluctuated a few pounds up and down, but it was like my body was at a new "set point". Then I did it again because I wanted to lose another 10 pounds, and did that just as easily and kept it off just as easily. But then we had a death in the family and I pretty much dove headfirst into comfort food.

I'm back up to 180 now, and I'm planning on going back sometime early next year. Once I found out about celiac, I started wondering if that was one of the reasons that diet worked for me. I'm still going to get my biopsy done, so I have to wait until all that is done before I go on it. I'm planning on being bathing-suit ready by summer.

But anyway, PREDNISONE. That makes so much sense. I was always one of those people who never really had a problem with weight. Of course, being a woman in today's society, I always THOUGHT I was fat. Sometimes I just want to go back and shake some sense into myself. All 125 pounds of me. <_<

Nancy

My body shape was changing and I'd gone down a size, but the scale wasn't moving. If it had only been a few weeks that I'd been exercising, I would have written that off as muscle gain, but it had been months.

Nancy, that's EXACTLY what is happening to me.

When I first went on the prednisone, I exploded up to 200 lbs. in record time. But I looked 200 lbs also. I was puffy, fat, bloated, etc....... After the prednisone was finished, my body shape changed drastically and I thought for sure I was losing the weight, but lo and behold, I step on the scale and it hadn't moved an inch. Even my friend across the street kept on commenting "Karen, you're losing the weight now, aren't you....." and I had to keep on telling her "Nope, nary a pound......" Even she couldn't believe it. So here I am, almost a year later, and if someone asked me how much I weighed and I told them 200 lbs., they would never believe me because I don't look it. Where did the prednisone hide it? (although I have to admit half of it has gone on to my chest!!!!! I went up 2 cup sizes) But I desperately want to get back to me "pre steriod" look.

I looked up on the internet and decided to try Swiss Natural Sources Apple Cider Vinegar with Chromium. Apparently, it is supposed to kickstart your metabolism. Here is a link:

Open Original Shared Link

I looked in their product manual, and it is gluten free......

I hope this works......

Hugs.

Karen

mommida Enthusiast

I was looking into milled flax seed, to add more fiber into our diets. It was about the time when the big buzz about Hilary Swank and the movie Million Dollar Baby was in full swing. The trainer said the big "secret" for her training was flax. That her body built muscle more efficiently and it was hard to keep her from losing weight. Made me too nervous to try it, considering I'm feeding young kids. I would try something that could help your body naturally before trying some type of pill.

Laura

Nantzie Collaborator

Karen - my boobs got bigger too!!! Hmm... Makes you wonder. Bigger boobs was the very LAST thing I wanted though, because mine were always big to begin with. Now people who don't know me assume I've got implants. <_< Not fun.

Nancy

eugenelowcarb Newbie

All of the Atkins vitamins are free of artificial colors, flavors, hydrogenated oils, corn, wheat, salt, sugar, starch and gluten!

There are 2 options that might be worth looking into...

Dieter's Advantage, a stimulant-free appetite control.

It contains: B6, calcium, phosphorus, kelp (iodine), magenesium, chromium, potassium, garcinia cambogia fruit extract, parsley leaf, spirulina algae, l-carnitine, pantethine, guggul extract, bladderwrack kelp, l-tyrosine, pineapple enzymes, gentian root, orange peel, and black pepper extract.

Accel, a thermogenic formula that enhances fat loss & supports normal thyroid function.

It contains: niacin, chromium, green tea leaf extract, yerba mate leaf extract, brazilian guarana seed extract, theobroma cacau seed extract, guggul extract, bladderwrack kelp & l-tyrosine.

You should be able to find these at any health food store, or order online.

Good luck!

brynn

tarnalberry Community Regular
Okay, I am fed up......

Thanks guys!

Karen

I would encourage you to get a lightbox to help with the SAD, and consider replacing your regular light bulbs with full spectrum compact flourescents. (Ok, the compact flourescents is an environmental consideration, as you can get incandescent full spectrums.) The science on full spectrums for SAD is... not complete, but I think it helps. The science behind light boxes definitely supports it, however (it's been shown to be important to have sufficient intensity (you'd want to be about a meter away from about 20 60W incandescents for the right 'dose' of light), but the spectrum of light hasn't really been studies).

Exercise is also helpful for SAD, particularly frequent, moderate intensity, moderate duration exercise to stimulate endorphin production. (As a bonus, that's the very type of exercise best for boosting metabolism and loose weight.)

eeyor-fan Contributor
Okay, I am fed up......

Thanks guys!

Karen

Please stay away from weight loss supplements...they are a danger and you should consentrate more on eating 6 healthy, small meals a day and exercise ( try not to eat after 6 pm). I was on a supliment (ok trim spa) in the spring and it shot my cholesterol up from being low (I had my cholesterol checked first only a week before I went on the pills) to dangerously high in just a couple months (this was before I was gluten-free, during the late spring of this year), and when my doctor saw I resorted to pills he almost cried because NONE of those pills are recommended and in the long run do more harm than good. While I lost 10 pounds, it almost cost my life and I was only 144 pounds when I started the pills. I threw the pills away as soon as I saw my doctors face. It takes time but now I'm 128 and I'm not depending on pills, the dietition showed me how to eat 6 small meals a day to speed up matabolism naturally, I go to Curves as well as walking/hiking on my own (in winter do "Sweating to the Oldies 2" on my VCR) and I know I'm healthier in the long run because I'm doing it on my own. The constipation doesn't help, but it is one day at a time, and I eat the gluten-free Rice Bran Crackers/Bread and drink tonz of water.

Hugs

Bridget

Archived