This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Avocados?

Fbmb

Fbmb Rising Star

So I'm almost a month into my diet, and my stomach is up and down. Last week it was actually pretty great. I was so excited. This week, not so much. I'm not having any pain, but my bowels seem to be all over the place. 

Yesterday for lunch I had avocado on some gluten-free toast. I had an entire avocado. Ate the whole thing. I had an apple with it. I felt fine after eating it, but noticed a little gurgling. This morning my stools were loose and I noticed (sorry for the TMI but I don't know who else to ask) that I had what looked like little bits of undigested avocado in my stool. Like the harder, lighter colored parts didn't digest well.

i eat a lot of fat and don't usually have this issue, so I don't think it's malabsorption. I'm wondering if I overdid it with the avocado? Or if anyone else has this kind of issue with them? I googled and couldn't find anything. It seems like avocado should be easy to digest and I wouldn't expect to see it undigested....but I wanted to ask you guys.

thanks for your support. You really are getting me through this.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master
4 hours ago, Fbmb said:

So I'm almost a month into my diet, and my stomach is up and down. Last week it was actually pretty great. I was so excited. This week, not so much. I'm not having any pain, but my bowels seem to be all over the place. 

Yesterday for lunch I had avocado on some gluten-free toast. I had an entire avocado. Ate the whole thing. I had an apple with it. I felt fine after eating it, but noticed a little gurgling. This morning my stools were loose and I noticed (sorry for the TMI but I don't know who else to ask) that I had what looked like little bits of undigested avocado in my stool. Like the harder, lighter colored parts didn't digest well.

i eat a lot of fat and don't usually have this issue, so I don't think it's malabsorption. I'm wondering if I overdid it with the avocado? Or if anyone else has this kind of issue with them? I googled and couldn't find anything. It seems like avocado should be easy to digest and I wouldn't expect to see it undigested....but I wanted to ask you guys.

The gluten-free diet has a steep learning curve.  Besides avoiding gluten, you must figure your own particular set of food intolerances that may resolve or may not.  Remember the small intestine is damaged.  First, I would recommend a whole foods diet until you feel well.  That means not eating processed bread which contains a variety of ingredients that you might not tolerate.  For me, I still can not consume Xanthan Gum.  I bake using other gums.  I also can not eat garlic or onions even after being gluten-free for three years.  Second, consider a histamine intolerance.  This occurs with me after a glutening.  Google the foods to avoid.  Avocados are on that list.  You might be able to eat small amounts, but for now, an entire avocado does not seem to agree with you.   Once healed,  many of your intolerances will be eliminated.  Just be patient.  

Fbmb Rising Star
5 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

The gluten-free diet has a steep learning curve.  Besides avoiding gluten, you must figure your own particular set of food intolerances that may resolve or may not.  Remember the small intestine is damaged.  First, I would recommend a whole foods diet until you feel well.  That means not eating processed bread which contains a variety of ingredients that you might not tolerate.  For me, I still can not consume Xanthan Gum.  I bake using other gums.  I also can not eat garlic or onions even after being gluten-free for three years.  Second, consider a histamine intolerance.  This occurs with me after a glutening.  Google the foods to avoid.  Avocados are on that list.  You might be able to eat small amounts, but for now, an entire avocado does not seem to agree with you.   Once healed,  many of your intolerances will be eliminated.  Just be patient.  

Oh wow. I didn't know about the histamine thing. So as long as I'm being diligent about gluten then anything else isn't causing damage, right? The histamine foods or processed foods aren't damaging my intestines and they're healing since I'm being so diligent about gluten? I think that more than anything I worry that my poor intestines aren't healing - but I'm sure they are since I'm being so careful. 

cyclinglady Grand Master

No, to my knowledge there is no serious damage from intolerances.  You might get bloated, experience inflammation, etc., but you will not trigger an autoimmune reaction.  Only gluten can do that to a celiac.  

The histamine intolerance may or may not apply to you.  The problem is that everyone has different levels of damage.  it is trial and error.   The most common intolerance is lactose.   Best to keep a food journal for a while. 

kenlove Rising Star
On 12/2/2016 at 2:13 AM, Fbmb said:

avocados  have  high  oil  content, especially when freshly harvested  this  time of year. That will push things through faster than the body can digest them-- system is  messe 

Spencer88 Apprentice

I just stumbled upon this thread after eating some avocado myself. I had some pan seared chicken this evening. I used olive oil, paprika, garlic powder, pink salt, chopped onion, and some chopped garlic. I threw in some fresh broccoli with this as well. I heated the broccoli in the pan with the chicken after the chicken cooked through some. I had some brown rice and a half of an avocado. I had just a little bit of avocado the other day and it went down well. This made me think I could probably do at least a half today. About an hour and a half after eating this I felt super bloated, gassy, belching a lot. The bloat and gas has been painful. I don't know if I ate too much chicken in one sitting or too much broccoli and the half of avocado was just over kill on my system? I'm not sure but I'll try to reduce how much I eat per meal. I usually don't eat a lot in one sitting but this meal I did eat more then usual. Just something to consider. 

I also started a gluten-free pro biotic two days ago. Not sure if that's kicking in causing some of this (like the storm before the calm). And I too eat apples at least one apple a day and have been doing great with that. 

You should consider tracking what you eat daily. I use this app called mySymptoms its on Apple I don't know about android. Great app lets me see if there is any patterns as to what I'm eating vs symptoms I feel. Might help you pin point patterns and foods that could be causing issues. Also I would also say goodbye to anything pre made in bags that says gluten-free especially bread. At least for the next 6 months to a year. Everything that I'm researching is saying to eat super natural and clean for at least that long until you can reintroduce some of those pre made things again.

I've been doing this diet for almost 8 weeks. So I'm new to this like you. I've had some good days but the bad days will still pop up. 

Keep me posted on what you find out about avocados and how you do with them. 

-Spencer 

cyclinglady Grand Master
33 minutes ago, Spencer88 said:

I just stumbled upon this thread after eating some avocado myself. I had some pan seared chicken this evening. I used olive oil, paprika, garlic powder, pink salt, chopped onion, and some chopped garlic. I threw in some fresh broccoli with this as well. I heated the broccoli in the pan with the chicken after the chicken cooked through some. I had some brown rice and a half of an avocado. I had just a little bit of avocado the other day and it went down well. This made me think I could probably do at least a half today. About an hour and a half after eating this I felt super bloated, gassy, belching a lot. The bloat and gas has been painful. I don't know if I ate too much chicken in one sitting or too much broccoli and the half of avocado was just over kill on my system? I'm not sure but I'll try to reduce how much I eat per meal. I usually don't eat a lot in one sitting but this meal I did eat more then usual. Just something to consider. 

I also started a gluten-free pro biotic two days ago. Not sure if that's kicking in causing some of this (like the storm before the calm). And I too eat apples at least one apple a day and have been doing great with that. 

You should consider tracking what you eat daily. I use this app called mySymptoms its on Apple I don't know about android. Great app lets me see if there is any patterns as to what I'm eating vs symptoms I feel. Might help you pin point patterns and foods that could be causing issues. Also I would also say goodbye to anything pre made in bags that says gluten-free especially bread. At least for the next 6 months to a year. Everything that I'm researching is saying to eat super natural and clean for at least that long until you can reintroduce some of those pre made things again.

I've been doing this diet for almost 8 weeks. So I'm new to this like you. I've had some good days but the bad days will still pop up. 

Keep me posted on what you find out about avocados and how you do with them. 

-Spencer 

Are you sure it is the avocado?  What about the garlic or onions?  Are the spices gluten free?  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Spencer88 Apprentice

From my understanding spices have to label everything that is inside them if they have anything other then let's say garlic or paprika. All my spices are from McCormik. They should be gluten free. I've been using them for a while now with no issues. Garlic is actually supposed to reduce gas and bloat. Onion I'm not sure about onion. I've been using it a lot to cook/season with. I haven't noticed a trend with bad days and onions. 

Like I said before I did introduce a pro biotic that is gluten-free. I'm not sure if that's causing some of the issues. Or if I just ate too much chicken, broccoli, and the half of the avocado was just to much on top of all that. 

Archived