9 replies to this topic

#1 carriecraig

carriecraig

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 02:11 PM

For those who were positively diagnosed with celiac disease through endoscopy: I'm just wondering how many of you had a follow-up endoscopy to see how well you were doing/healing with being gluten-free? Is it really needed?
Carrie
Blood test May 25, 2005
Positive diagnosis through Endoscopy June 13, 2005
gluten-free since then...

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 skoki_mom

skoki_mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 03:54 PM

For those who were positively diagnosed with celiac disease through endoscopy: I'm just wondering how many of you had a follow-up endoscopy to see how well you were doing/healing with being gluten-free? Is it really needed?

Mine isn't booked yet, but I will be getting a follow up scope. I need one because I am asymptomatic. I am making every effort to be gluten-free, but without reactive symptoms, I really don't know it is going for me. I actaullyam really looking forward to this scope because I am hoping to see some positive changes!
LORI

Dx celiac disease Aug 25/05, ate KFC that night and gluten-free ever since

#3 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 06:42 AM

The standard advice these days is to repeat blood tests and if they're negative, there's no need for a follow-up endoscopy. I am not, however, a celiac expert or a doctor, and I would always suggest you listen to your caregiver (well, most of the time anyway).

richard

#4 mytummyhurts

mytummyhurts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 12:53 PM

I just got a notice in the mail to set up for a year follow up endoscopy. But I just got done paying $600 for last year's. If it cost me less or no money then I probably would do it just out of curiousity.

#5 Rikki Tikki

Rikki Tikki

Tavi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 01:43 PM

Lori:
Don't get frustrated. It took me about 3 years to really feel good again, and for about 2 1/2 years of that I didn't cheat. It was after the doctor put me on steriods for something else that I really noticed an improvement. I don't know if there is a connection or not.
Don't give up or give in, I am here to tell you it will get better!
Nostaglia is a file that removes the rough edges from the good old days!!!!

" 15 years of it's stress!"
"blood work show's a disease called celiac,
but it can't be that because it's rare!"
Diagnosed via blood and biopsy 2003

Not a medical professional just a silly celiac
offering support, my
experience and advice

#6 nikki-uk

nikki-uk

Out running.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 01:59 PM

Lori:
Don't get frustrated. It took me about 3 years to really feel good again, and for about 2 1/2 years of that I didn't cheat. It was after the doctor put me on steriods for something else that I really noticed an improvement. I don't know if there is a connection or not.
Don't give up or give in, I am here to tell you it will get better!

My husbands had 2 biopsies since diagnosis a year ago.
He first repeat biopsy showed limited improvement after 6months-(he never cheated)so doc put him on steroids.These seem to have improved things greatly.
Hubbies nearly off the steroids now-and has a far better appetite than he's had in years,and we're waiting for results of 2nd biopsy.I'd bet it shows improvement.
BTW,his bloods were negative,-so repeat bloods wouldn't have been any indicator of how well he was healing.
It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

Posted Image

#7 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2005 - 04:02 PM

if you are asymptomatic, then a follow up biopsy would be a good way to determine if the villi are healing, but my personal opinion is that as long as your health is continuing to improve then the follow up biopsy is unneccessary. My Dr. even told me that the initial biopsy wasn't called for because my bloodwork was VERY positive. And the only reason for me to have the biopsy would be if my health did not improve on the gluten-free diet. My health did improve dramatically, so at my follow up appt. he said that confirmed the dx and I did not need the biopsy.

#8 Guest_Mari_*

Guest_Mari_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2005 - 11:24 AM

I am also asymptomatic, and was told by my nutritionist that I would just need to get my ttg blood test every year, and that was a good indication of whether or not I was gluten free.

As an aside, it's nice to be asymptomatic, because we don't have to deal with all the sickness and pain, but it is really frustrating because we don't know whether we are really gluten-free or not!

#9 Moongirl

Moongirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 08:08 AM

my GI told me that a follow up endoscopy really wasnt neccessary as long as i follow the diet and saw improvements, such as weight gain, then he said he didnt really have the need to do it again.
But blood tests may be an alternative route. Best advice he said is that everyones body is different and you cant put a time on when u will "feel better" As long as u see some sort of improvement that was his main concern. So dont worry about 6 months from now, take everyday as it comes. :)

Edited by Moongirl, 15 December 2005 - 08:09 AM.

Dx & gluten-free since 12/09/05

Positive blood and endo test
Boston, MA

What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger

#10 par18

par18

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 06:58 PM

I recovered nicely in 7 months and don't feel any symptoms on gluten-free diet. I don't think a scope will show me any more than what my body is telling me and that is I feel great and have gained back all lost weight and then some. Maybe a once a year blood test for other things. Each person is different but I would rather spend the money on the diet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: