This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Five Guys?

Fbmb

Fbmb Rising Star

We will be in Denver today and I don't know what to eat. I'm newly diagnosed and have been eating at home. My aunt and uncle have celiac and said that five guys is safe because they don't put anything into their fryers except for fries and my uncle has never had a problem with a burger without a bun.

what do you guys think? We love Chick-fil-A but I bet their kitchen is a cross contamination nightmare.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Darissa Contributor
49 minutes ago, Fbmb said:

We will be in Denver today and I don't know what to eat. I'm newly diagnosed and have been eating at home. My aunt and uncle have celiac and said that five guys is safe because they don't put anything into their fryers except for fries and my uncle has never had a problem with a burger without a bun.

what do you guys think? We love Chick-fil-A but I bet their kitchen is a cross contamination nightmare.

I love chick Fila. They are trained from management down.  Tell  them it's severe and they'll change their gloves and cook separately.  fries.  grilled chicken.  salad.  Ice,cream.  check their website for gluten-free options.  also I know that some gluten-free bloggers where in Denver recently.  lots of options.  might check celiac & the beast website.  I think she blogged about Denver .  also Jules gluten-free might of.  

kareng Grand Master
1 hour ago, Fbmb said:

Lark burger!  Open Original Shared Link

Five Guys can be good - Best to go when not busy and sort of "supervise".  I always order mine separate from my gluten eaters - to avoid confusion and keep them from all touching.

Denver is a big area - try "findme gluten free. com" and the area you will be in.  There are some mostly or completely gluten-free places. 

I loved the steak salad at the MOd Market in Longmont - I know there are other locations Open Original Shared Link

Snooze  Open Original Shared Link

kareng Grand Master

I keep adding to my post.  I  know there is at least 1 gluten-free bakery that may also sell lunches.  Google gluten free bakery Denver

kareng Grand Master

Where did you end up? Did you like it?

I probably should have posted that sometimes I bring along a little Go Picnic box or a bar or bag of nuts or something.  Sometimes its just easier.  And if you get  somewhere which has always been good - but feel something isn't right, you aren't stuck with nothing or hunting down a grocery for an apple and a yogurt (also another good choice sometimes).

cyclinglady Grand Master

Karen has great advice.   I always have non-perishable food in my purse.  Often I carry a small cooler and throw in veggies, nuts, yogurt, meat, or fruit to keep in my car while running errands or meeting up with friends.  I have nicer tote coolers that looks more presentable (nothing sends out geeky signals when carrying an Igloo cooler).  Still use the heavy-duty coolers as I live in in sunny California and I do not want food spoilage and i can transfer food to a prettier version.  

I used my pretty coolers to conceal my favorite soymilk when I went to Starbucks (preferred my brand over theirs) when hanging with the girls.    Now i can consume milk products, so no need to do that.  

When we vacation, we mostly eat at grocery stores.  It is a fall-back option for us.  Our coolers travel even internationally with us!  And my favorite restaurant where i feel the safest?  Our recreational vehicle.  If we can not find a restaurant, we can always pull over and eat a hot meal.  Heaven!  

kareng Grand Master
9 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

Karen has great advice.  

that is why they pay me the big bucks!  :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

larnotlars Newbie

I don't know if you are already gone, but my most common restaurants are...

For breakfast: Maddie's Restaurant on South Downing Open Original Shared Link, The Urban Egg Just off of Broadway (south of 470) Open Original Shared Link (gluten free but not guarentee of Celiac frendly- still very helpful)

For other meals:  Lucha Cantina on West Bowles Lucha Cantina.com, Tokyo Joe's, The Blue Bonnet on Broadway Open Original Shared Link

Zest Cafe on Wadsworth is also a good change of pace. Open Original Shared Link

Some Chipotle restaurants are pretty good about dealing with Celiac, but the one on Wadsworth between Hampden and Yale is NOT!

I also eat at HuHot mongolian Grill alot, there are noodles near the meat on the line, so sometimes I have to ask one of the employees to get meat from the back because there is a noodle in the fish... If you tell them that you have Celiac they are happy to scrub the grill and set up boundries to protect your food. www.huhot.com

I hope that this helps

Lar

Archived