This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten/sulfite Free Alcohol

danikali

danikali Enthusiast

:P Hi everyone!

Well, tonight I have 2 work Christmas parites! :D

And I'm just wondering..........I read that rum and tequilla are okay for Celiacs because they contain no gluten grains at all. I'm also very intolerant to the sulfites in wine. So, do you guys know if this is true about rum and tequilla? Could it possibly be safe for me?

I'm kind of scared because I know that last time I went out I had vodka (absolute) with cranberry and woke up at night with THE WORSE BACK PAINS (like in my kidney area) and sometimes when I drink, that happens, but sometimes, I'm completely fine. I also, of course, KNOW, beer bothers me. If I have one sip I'm in tears for hours, but that's obviously the barley in it. Anyway, I guess I'm just asking if anyone has had any good experiences with certain alcohol. Not that I'm going to go nuts, but I would like to have one drink to celebrate the holidays! :P

But of course, if I can't, I can't and it's not worth killing myself over it and being sick for another week! But the thing is, I never ever have tequilla or rum when I go out, it's usually vodka or wine (well not anymore of course, I'm done with that like I'm done with gluten!) So maybe those won't bother me? But I'm just wondering what your opinions are. Thanks!!! :D

-Danielle

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

I don't know of a tequila or rum that has gluten. Bacardi is definitely gluten-free. Smirnoff vodka is corn-based. I won't get into the whole distilling thing.

richard

danikali Enthusiast

Okay, good, thanks!

Also, would anyone know if any other alcohol besides wine has sulfite in it? :huh:

Thanks!

jenvan Collaborator

Danielle-

Below is a great articles on sulfites/wines and a list of wines that are sulfite-free...in case you want to get back to that!

Open Original Shared Link

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Hmmm,

That's a tough one...I have never heard of Vodkas containing sulfites. I thought the sulfites were placed in the wine as perservatives for the naturally acidic/sugary grape base....

Here is an article on wine sulfites..

I do know that Rain vodka is organic and made without pesticides or chemical perservatives...

Hope this helps..

danikali Enthusiast

Okay, I just didn't know for sure. Hopefully though it's just the gluten or sulfite in these drinks that bothers me. Could it be anything else? I hope not!

And is that Rain vodka gluten free as well?

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Alcohol and caffeine are two very strong irritants to the gut. I would definately avoid alcohol with all the problems you've been having....its not going to help with healing whether its got gluten in it or not. Thats just my 2 cents. :)

If you have leaky gut the alcohol will make you feel worse so if you do end up drinking and feel bad because of it...it doesnt necessarily mean you were glutened.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Without getting into an in-depth scientific discussion, all distilled alcohols are gluten-free -- some people react to the grain based ones, but it has been proven that the gluten protein is not able to make it through the distillation process (due to its size)...

Having said that, I drink Ketel One all the time. I like Rain as well...

This is another one of those trial and error things for folks...

tarnalberry Community Regular

BTW, others I have known with sulfite problems report that they can drink organic wine without any trouble. This may be a "your mileage may vary" bit of advice, however.

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I mainly drink Ketel One with 7 Up (Sprite) and lemon now. I used to drink Stoli & 7 or beer but I'm not sure if Stoli is safe for us and obviously beer is not.

• 5 years later...
truebutterfly61 Newbie

I don't know of vodka that contains sulfites, but I know that it is the mixers that you have to watch out for. I have a sulfite allergy too, this has been helpful:

:P Hi everyone!

Well, tonight I have 2 work Christmas parites! :D

And I'm just wondering..........I read that rum and tequilla are okay for Celiacs because they contain no gluten grains at all. I'm also very intolerant to the sulfites in wine. So, do you guys know if this is true about rum and tequilla? Could it possibly be safe for me?

I'm kind of scared because I know that last time I went out I had vodka (absolute) with cranberry and woke up at night with THE WORSE BACK PAINS (like in my kidney area) and sometimes when I drink, that happens, but sometimes, I'm completely fine. I also, of course, KNOW, beer bothers me. If I have one sip I'm in tears for hours, but that's obviously the barley in it. Anyway, I guess I'm just asking if anyone has had any good experiences with certain alcohol. Not that I'm going to go nuts, but I would like to have one drink to celebrate the holidays! :P

But of course, if I can't, I can't and it's not worth killing myself over it and being sick for another week! But the thing is, I never ever have tequilla or rum when I go out, it's usually vodka or wine (well not anymore of course, I'm done with that like I'm done with gluten!) So maybe those won't bother me? But I'm just wondering what your opinions are. Thanks!!! :D

-Danielle

psawyer Proficient

This discussion is five years old. Please check for current information about any product mentioned here.

Archived