danikali

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 11:45 AM

:P Hi everyone!

Well, tonight I have 2 work Christmas parites! :D

And I'm just wondering..........I read that rum and tequilla are okay for Celiacs because they contain no gluten grains at all. I'm also very intolerant to the sulfites in wine. So, do you guys know if this is true about rum and tequilla? Could it possibly be safe for me?

I'm kind of scared because I know that last time I went out I had vodka (absolute) with cranberry and woke up at night with THE WORSE BACK PAINS (like in my kidney area) and sometimes when I drink, that happens, but sometimes, I'm completely fine. I also, of course, KNOW, beer bothers me. If I have one sip I'm in tears for hours, but that's obviously the barley in it. Anyway, I guess I'm just asking if anyone has had any good experiences with certain alcohol. Not that I'm going to go nuts, but I would like to have one drink to celebrate the holidays! :P

But of course, if I can't, I can't and it's not worth killing myself over it and being sick for another week! But the thing is, I never ever have tequilla or rum when I go out, it's usually vodka or wine (well not anymore of course, I'm done with that like I'm done with gluten!) So maybe those won't bother me? But I'm just wondering what your opinions are. Thanks!!! :D

-Danielle
Danielle (Dani)

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease by Dr. Green (gene HLA DQ8) 1/05/06
Diagnosed: Gluten Sensitive through enterolab 11/17/05
Diagnosed: Casein Sensitive through enterolab 3/7/06

Diagnosed: Interstitial Cystitis (IC) 07/26/06

I finally put my picture on because it doesn't look like I'll be eating ANY cake on my Wedding day..........I'm the one in the middle.

Intolerant to: (besides gluten)

Casein
Peanuts (can handle very small amounts)
Any kind of additives or preservatives

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 12:12 PM

I don't know of a tequila or rum that has gluten. Bacardi is definitely gluten-free. Smirnoff vodka is corn-based. I won't get into the whole distilling thing.

richard

#3 danikali

danikali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 12:36 PM

Okay, good, thanks!

Also, would anyone know if any other alcohol besides wine has sulfite in it? :huh:

Thanks!
Danielle (Dani)

I finally put my picture on because it doesn't look like I'll be eating ANY cake on my Wedding day..........I'm the one in the middle.

Casein

#4 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 12:49 PM

Danielle-

Below is a great articles on sulfites/wines and a list of wines that are sulfite-free...in case you want to get back to that!
http://www.livingwit...ite_allergy.htm
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#5 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 01:18 PM

Hmmm,

That's a tough one...I have never heard of Vodkas containing sulfites. I thought the sulfites were placed in the wine as perservatives for the naturally acidic/sugary grape base....

Here is an article on wine sulfites..

http://waterhouse.uc...inecomp/so2.htm

I do know that Rain vodka is organic and made without pesticides or chemical perservatives...

Hope this helps..

Edited by broncobux, 02 December 2005 - 01:21 PM.

#6 danikali

danikali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 01:25 PM

Okay, I just didn't know for sure. Hopefully though it's just the gluten or sulfite in these drinks that bothers me. Could it be anything else? I hope not!

And is that Rain vodka gluten free as well?
Danielle (Dani)

Casein

#7 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 02:06 PM

Alcohol and caffeine are two very strong irritants to the gut. I would definately avoid alcohol with all the problems you've been having....its not going to help with healing whether its got gluten in it or not. Thats just my 2 cents. :)
If you have leaky gut the alcohol will make you feel worse so if you do end up drinking and feel bad because of it...it doesnt necessarily mean you were glutened.
Rachel

#8 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 03:14 PM

Without getting into an in-depth scientific discussion, all distilled alcohols are gluten-free -- some people react to the grain based ones, but it has been proven that the gluten protein is not able to make it through the distillation process (due to its size)...

Having said that, I drink Ketel One all the time. I like Rain as well...

This is another one of those trial and error things for folks...

#9 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 03:40 PM

BTW, others I have known with sulfite problems report that they can drink organic wine without any trouble. This may be a "your mileage may vary" bit of advice, however.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#10 jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 07:50 AM

I mainly drink Ketel One with 7 Up (Sprite) and lemon now. I used to drink Stoli & 7 or beer but I'm not sure if Stoli is safe for us and obviously beer is not.
Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy
Inflamed stomach lining
Gluten free since July 6, 2005
Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

#11 truebutterfly61

truebutterfly61

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:38 PM

I don't know of vodka that contains sulfites, but I know that it is the mixers that you have to watch out for. I have a sulfite allergy too, this has been helpful:

http://extoxnet.orst...ve/sulf_tbl.htm

:P Hi everyone!

Well, tonight I have 2 work Christmas parites! :D

And I'm just wondering..........I read that rum and tequilla are okay for Celiacs because they contain no gluten grains at all. I'm also very intolerant to the sulfites in wine. So, do you guys know if this is true about rum and tequilla? Could it possibly be safe for me?

I'm kind of scared because I know that last time I went out I had vodka (absolute) with cranberry and woke up at night with THE WORSE BACK PAINS (like in my kidney area) and sometimes when I drink, that happens, but sometimes, I'm completely fine. I also, of course, KNOW, beer bothers me. If I have one sip I'm in tears for hours, but that's obviously the barley in it. Anyway, I guess I'm just asking if anyone has had any good experiences with certain alcohol. Not that I'm going to go nuts, but I would like to have one drink to celebrate the holidays! :P

But of course, if I can't, I can't and it's not worth killing myself over it and being sick for another week! But the thing is, I never ever have tequilla or rum when I go out, it's usually vodka or wine (well not anymore of course, I'm done with that like I'm done with gluten!) So maybe those won't bother me? But I'm just wondering what your opinions are. Thanks!!! :D

-Danielle

#12 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:09 PM

This discussion is five years old. Please check for current information about any product mentioned here.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: