This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Mcdonald's Fries

Idahogirl

Idahogirl Apprentice

I have been going to McDonald's lately, and I noticed they have a dedicated fryer. It doesn't seem like cross-contamination would be much of an issue since the workers' hands never actually touch the fries. I haven't had a reaction yet. Has anyone had a problem with McDonald's?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

I just had McDonald's fries today and so far so good... I've been pretty lucky and had no reactions. I know some of the restaurants are franchises and therefore may not be as vigilant as the corporate owned ones about the "dedicated" fryers... but I personally have not had a problem with the fries. Now, on the other hand, one time my boss got me a hashbrown and I got really sick from that, but I am thinking that because it was in the bag with his biscuit that it got contaminated in there.

cdford Contributor

I don't usually have a problem at McD's, but this week was the exception. I don't know why, but we reacted. Hope it is the exception to the rule!

VydorScope Proficient

They state that thier fries are gluten-free and by thier rules they sposed to be in dedicated friers.

HOWEVER many ppl, including my son, have had alot fo seris problems from thier fries. Personaly I do not trust deep fried food anywhere anymore, to mmany times cross containimation becomes a problem. I assume that what is happening at McDonalds is they get in a rush and make honest mistake of frying gluten items in the french frier.

happygirl Collaborator

9 times out of 10, I would get sick after eating fast food fries.......So I have pretty much cut them out.

key Contributor

My son also got sick after eating McDonalds Fries. Is their ketchup gluten-free? THat is the only thing I could think of that he had eaten different that day.

Monica

VydorScope Proficient
My son also got sick after eating McDonalds Fries. Is their ketchup gluten-free? THat is the only thing I could think of that he had eaten different that day.

Monica

I believe, but not 100% sure, that thier ketchup is made by hienz, and is gluten-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I know that McDonalds have dedicated fryers, they only do the fries and hashbrowns in those fryers and the other things in the other fryers. Sometimes its just the fact you are eating fried foods. I have gotten away from fried foods and I know fries would bother me now, just for that fact. Deb

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I have been going to McDonald's lately, and I noticed they have a dedicated fryer. It doesn't seem like cross-contamination would be much of an issue since the workers' hands never actually touch the fries. I haven't had a reaction yet. Has anyone had a problem with McDonald's?
I have problems with their fries but it is because they have dairy in them (I am intolerant to dairy as well). I personally don't eat fries at any fast food restaurants because the risk of cross contamination is so high. Even though there is a dedicated fryer, mistakes can happen and someone may accidently drop a chicken nugget or something in the oil and you would never know. Also, someone may use the same utensiles for handling fries and breaded foods. Plus, one of the last things on the workers minds is taking the time to prevent cross contamination for celiacs. They would be more concerned about fast service and getting you out of there as fast as possible (trust me, I used to work in a fast food restaurant and we were praised for quick fast service). The best thing to do if you want their fries is to go inside (not drive through) when it is not busy, tell them your concerns, and watch them get your food.
jknnej Collaborator

I've never had a problem with their fries. I do think that some people may get sick simply /c it is fried food and not healthy at all!

That being said, I only eat there when we're travelling and there's nothing else....I don't need those wasted calories or another shot at being glutened.

celiac3270 Collaborator

No problems--ever. I'm much more likely to have issues at a more formal restaurant, actually.

happygirl Collaborator

I am jealous! :D The only time I want McDonalds fries is when we are on the road, traveling.....and those are mainly the times that I've gotten sick from eating it and have to find a restroom ASAP! I don't know if its the fryers or the cross-contamination but its definitely a gluten reaction. It's not every time that I eat it, but the risk was too high for-especially getting sick while travelling. I'm happy to know that many restaurants do follow "safe" procedures!!!!

I think that I need to take a road trip to your safe McDonalds..... :D

VydorScope Proficient
No problems--ever. I'm much more likely to have issues at a more formal restaurant, actually.

Actully as much as I say negatives about Fast Food Joints, I would say you are probably more liky to find cross containmation in the fryers in a "formal" resturant. They almost never have dedicated fryers. I was a short order cook for a while, and we only had 2 fryers which we cooked everything in. And in talking to staff at places I have tired to eat at since this celiac disease stuff started, that appears to be the norm... hence why I just flat out recomend NO DEEP FRYED FOODS to anyone with celiac disease, unless, like me, they cook it themsleves at home.

Becky6 Enthusiast

Did you see some where that the fries had dairy? I do not see it listed in their ingredients and I have checked since my daughter can't have dairy. Just making sure I have not missed anything! I didn;t see it on the ingredients or allergens list.

VydorScope Proficient
Did you see some where that the fries had dairy? I do not see it listed in their ingredients and I have checked since my daughter can't have dairy. Just making sure I have not missed anything! I didn;t see it on the ingredients or allergens list.

Carriefaith stated that they do, I have never had a reason to check either way on it since dairy is not a concern here. :)

Becky6 Enthusiast

I know she stated that they do that is why I am concerned. My daughter has had issues with dairy since before we went gluten-free so that is why I chceked on it and saw nothing. I was just curious where she saw it so I don't give my daughter dairy. Thanks!

ryebaby0 Enthusiast

My son and husband have McD french fries, burgers,and McFlurries fairly often ( probably once a month) and have never had a problem. We've had this meal from many different McD's , no problem. We are careful, though, not to eat at peak lunch, and if it's a turnpike stop I usually go in and eyeball the process. That being said, I've never met a manager who didn't know all about cross-contam issues, and at least twice the manager has gone and made up the meals himself.

joanna

darlindeb25 Collaborator

To my knowledge, McDonalds have always aimed to please---you know, "have your way--h a v e it your way!" Remember, "You get money back from your dollar!" I was never glutened at Wendy's either. I used to order a baked potato there and a frosty--I understand the frosty's have gluten now. I dont live close to one anymore, so I dont frequent there. Deb

VydorScope Proficient
My son and husband have McD french fries, burgers,and McFlurries fairly often ( probably once a month) and have never had a problem. We've had this meal from many different McD's , no problem. We are careful, though, not to eat at peak lunch, and if it's a turnpike stop I usually go in and eyeball the process. That being said, I've never met a manager who didn't know all about cross-contam issues, and at least twice the manager has gone and made up the meals himself.

joanna

I have had the opisit experence, and just dont go anymore. Not worth it, IMO.

Guest gfinnebraska
To my knowledge, McDonalds have always aimed to please---you know, "have your way--h a v e it your way!"

Isn't that Burger King's slogan?? "Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce, special orders won't upset us... all we ask is that you let us serve it your way... have it your way..." Yes, I watched too much TV as a child! :)

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I have no idea--I thought it was McDonalds--doesnt matter--I know that in Michigan anyways, they always try to do it your way--here on Long Island, the service people are completely different--had I acted as they do when I worked in Michigan, I would have been unemployed. Deb

VydorScope Proficient
I have no idea--I thought it was McDonalds--doesnt matter--I know that in Michigan anyways, they always try to do it your way--here on Long Island, the service people are completely different--had I acted as they do when I worked in Michigan, I would have been unemployed. Deb

Thats the big problem with these kinds of places, they are VERY local senstive due to the fact they are franchizes. Thats why we have widly diffferent expernces at them.

Guest gfinnebraska

I have eaten at a LOT of McD's because my husband worked there while attending college and grew to prefer McD's to any other fast food. So, I have eaten at one in almost every state including Hawaii, and also in a lot of other countries including Switzerland, Sweden, and Germany (yes, we travel a lot!)... and have never had a bad experience. I can not say the same for Burger King or Wendy's. McD's is always my restaurant of choice... I am sorry that that is not everyone's experience. :( IMHO they have the best fries and meat.

VydorScope Proficient
I have eaten at a LOT of McD's because my husband worked there while attending college and grew to prefer McD's to any other fast food. So, I have eaten at one in almost every state including Hawaii, and also in a lot of other countries including Switzerland, Sweden, and Germany (yes, we travel a lot!)... and have never had a bad experience. I can not say the same for Burger King or Wendy's. McD's is always my restaurant of choice... I am sorry that that is not everyone's experience. :( IMHO they have the best fries and meat.

There are enough MickyD's out ther taht you and I both could have eaten at like 20 in each state and never eaten at the same place. :lol:

With the very high turn over these kinds of places happen to have you can not even count on seeing the same results between trips.

I strongly urge MUCH caution with ANY fried foods away form home. Personaly I aviod them, but each person needs to make that call themselvs.

As for the meat, Backyard burgers here is FAR FAR better. :D IMO :D

Guest gfinnebraska

Is Backyard Burgers gluten aware??? Do you have a problem there at all?? There is a new one within my "regular" shopping area, so I will try it if it is okay. Let me know!! :)

Archived