4 replies to this topic

#1 LLRD

LLRD

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 05:57 PM

Does anyone here suffer mainly from constipation. Not to go into great detail, but soft stools that move slow through the gi tract. Along with of course the bloating.

If I have been on the diet a few months should these symptoms started to improve or could it take longer. And does being gluten free even really help much with constipation?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Rae

Rae

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 04:57 PM

Does anyone here suffer mainly from constipation. Not to go into great detail, but soft stools that move slow through the gi tract. Along with of course the bloating.

If I have been on the diet a few months should these symptoms started to improve or could it take longer. And does being gluten free even really help much with constipation?

I suffered from constipation for a year now. First I was diagnosed with IBS-C and given Zelnorm to relieve my constipation. I been gluten-free for 3 months now and my bm patterns are still the same. I will go for a few weeks "normal" then the next few weeks I'll have episodes where I will be constipated and wont go for 3-4 days at a time. The one thing that sometimes help is drinking coffe in the morning- but I am now lactose intolerant so it might have been the milk helping me go. Everyone is different, so going gluten-free might help you more than it helped me. Sorry couldnt give you a clear answer.

#3 mightymorg

mightymorg

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 05:16 PM

I'm also dealing with chronic constipation, the same as you. Tons of bloating...no fun. I also was diagnosed at first as IBS-C and given Zelnorm. It worked wonders (no C, no bloating, no gas) for a week and a half, and then it just flat out stopped working. So, my GI took me off of that and prescribed me Glycolax (Miralax). I have to take it 3 times a day for it to work, but it works for the most part. I know that sometimes a cup of coffee while sitting at the computer helps get things going.
Nonetheless, the pattern of my bm's have improved, but I don't know if any of that is from also being gluten-free...I'm too scared to stop taking the Glycolax! :unsure:

My GI did say the only thing he noticed during my colonoscopy was that I have an unusually long colon, which could also play a part in things. :huh:
Possible celiac in Austin, TX

#4 skbird

skbird

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 06:06 PM

I tried a sample Zelnorm a couple of weeks back and bloated up like I couldn't believe! It was horrible, and I felt like I was going to have the runs at any second for about 16 hours after I took it, then I finally went and it wasn't runs but cleaned out likely every crevice in my body. Then two days later I had the worst migraine and stomach upset for 24 hours without eating anything suspect. So I don't know, but coupled with the cost, I'm not going to fill the script. I do have 7 more samples, so I might give it a try again if nothing else works.

I don't ever go more than one day without going, but I do feel constipated from time to time. My best remedy is magnesium supplements, take 1000 mg at night and usually by lunch I will be going pretty well. :)

Funny what we talk about...

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#5 LLRD

LLRD

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 08:04 PM

What brand of magnesium do you take? And what kind? Is it just plain magnesium?

Zelnorm is the pits in my opinion.

Edited by LLRD, 08 December 2005 - 08:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: