This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tinkyada

Nantzie

Nantzie Collaborator

Okay, I have to admit that I was a little leary about trying Tinkyada pasta. Everyone here says that it's great pasta, but I figured that there would have to be a pretty significant taste and/or texture difference between pasta made from wheat and pasta made from rice. I figured that with a tomato sauce or any heavy sauce you really don't taste the pasta anyway and it's more of a texture than a flavor. So I was assuming that with any delicate sauce you'd really be able to tell the difference. At best, I thought it would be slightly odd tasting, slightly gooey, stringy stuff. But, I have to say that I fell for that Atkins diet "spaghetti squash is a great substitute for pasta" BS at one point. I mean, spaghetti squash with tomato sauce is pretty good, but if you're looking for pasta and expecting that pasta feel or taste when you take that first bite, it's not even close.

So anyway... I made some Tinkyada and just a jar of spaghetti sauce. I've always eaten the pieces of pasta that you pull out to check the doneness, so I was doing that and noticed that not only the texture, but the flavor was almost exactly the same. I think if I were to try to describe it, I would say that wheat pasta has a slightly nutty flavor that tinkyada doesn't have, but other than that, I don't really see a difference. In fact, what it reminds me of is less expensive wheat pasta rather than something completely different. I usually buy the boxes of De Cecco pasta. One time I went to Costco and bought the BIG pkg of pasta, which was like 6 one pound bags. It kind of reminds me of that pasta.

So we had spaghetti for dinner, and my husband had two helpings. YAY!!!

But what made me really, REALLY happy is that I just went and got some plain pasta and just put some olive oil and parmesan cheese on it.

Delicious. Perfect.

So if anyone is leary about trying it, don't be. It's not only fine... It's great.

After finding out about celiac and gluten sensitivity, I kind of was bummed out about cooking and stopped watching my favorite Food Network Show - Everyday Italian. Well, now I feel like I can make just about anything she makes. Now all I need to do is experiment with what breads I like (just put my order in with Kinnikinnick yesterday) and make some breadcrumbs, and I'm good to go.

I'm SO excited!!! I just had to share.

:D

Nancy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Noelle126 Apprentice

I love the Tinkyada pasta....it makes me feel more "normal" like I can eat "regular" food...at least it tastes more normal than some of the substitutes!!

RiceGuy Collaborator

Glad you found Tinkyada as nice as so many others have.

Even when I was unknowingly damaging my insides with gluten, I didn't like the cheap pastas. I have always been quite picky about the quality of the foods I eat, and that goes for pasta too. I was using high quality durham semolina pastas. I ate a pound of it almost every day, which of course was really really bad for my gut!

Anyway, I too was sceptical at first about Tinkyada, and was pleasantly surprized to find the claims on the package hold up nicely. One thing that is really nice is the fact that it doesn't disintegrate too fast either. You do have enough time to work with whatever dish you're making before it get overdone. Obviously don't leave it boiling, but staying hot doesn't ruin it too fast to enjoy. From my experience, it will get too soft before falling apart, as opposed to wheat pasta which gets mushy and pasty as it falls apart.

Guest nini

I've even had really good luck with Tinkyada's Lasagna noodles... that was one dish I was very worried that I wouldn't be able to have again, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Tinkyada pasta tasted just as good as regular wheat containing pasta. My hubby even eats it all up... The other night I made fettucini alfredo to go with our pork chops and I was hoping for leftovers to be able to freeze. There weren't any leftovers... it was THAT good.

jerseyangel Proficient

We love Tinkyada, too. I make it once a week, or so. I never used to rinse wheat pastas, but I found it's necessary with the Tinkyada. My favorite is the spaghetti--even reheated, its fantastic. :)

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I love Tinkyada pasta :) I know someone who is not on the gluten free diet that actually perfers this pasta over gluten pasta.

Jnkmnky Collaborator

We used their shells for "stuffed shells" ... They were so good we made them two nights in a row. My celiac kid has never had them. It was great.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Claire Collaborator

I am a Tinkyada fan also.

Anyone else find that it needs a bit more cooking than regular pasta? But, like regular pasta, cooking time depends on how much you are cooking at once. I like it tender but not too soft.

I notice also that for some reason it doesn't hold heat as long as regular - cools down very quickly. Anyone notice that? Claire

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I notice also that for some reason it doesn't hold heat as long as regular - cools down very quickly. Anyone notice that?
I've noticed that too. I find that the pasta cools down really quickly.
happygirl Collaborator

Yes, I've noticed that also. Good to know its not just me.

And yet, I don't care (I'm sure no one else really does either!).....I owe Tinkyada a huge thank you for making my life so much easier!

Felidae Enthusiast
I am a Tinkyada fan also.

Anyone else find that it needs a bit more cooking than regular pasta? But, like regular pasta, cooking time depends on how much you are cooking at once. I like it tender but not too soft.

I notice also that for some reason it doesn't hold heat as long as regular - cools down very quickly. Anyone notice that? Claire

I noticed both those things. I just made a modified lasagna tonight with Tinkyada noodles and ground turkey. Yummy.

Becky6 Enthusiast

I just finally found this for my daughter today and I hope she loves it just as much! And after my blood tests on wednesday I will most likely be going gluten-free! Can't wait to try them!

Rusla Enthusiast

Rice pasta usually requires a bit more cooking than regular pasta but I have found other rice pastas are more touchier on cooking than the Tinkyada.

Idahogirl Apprentice

The first gluten-free pasta I had was a box meal, with some kind of dark noodles (rice noodles I think) and it was rubbery and had a really weird aftertaste. So when I tried Tinkyada I was very skeptical. But it was sooo good! I overcooked it, but I didn't care! I would rather have overcooked normal pasta than perfectly cooked nasty stuff! It is so great when you find something that is just like the real thing. There is so much out there that just doesn't compare, but it sure does give you hope when you find something that does! I made pizza twice this week-I didn't think I'd ever have pizza again, but it was just like old times! I think celiac makes you appreciate the thinkgs you took for granted before. :)

Lisa

kevsmom Contributor

I agree agout the Tinkyada pasta. My 17 year old, non celiac son enjoyed eating dinner with me for the first time in I don't know how long.

I made the 14 oz. package and had dinner for the two of us. I packed the leftovers in individual bowels, and had lunch all week! I did have to keep adding more sauce because the pasta absorbed a lot of it. Quick and easy :).

It does have so much of a better consistancy than the other rice or corn pastas that I have tried.

Cindy

RiceGuy Collaborator
It does have so much of a better consistancy than the other rice or corn pastas that I have tried.

That's one thing I've been wondering about. I love corn, and I recently found some corn pasta, but I would have to order it. I haven't seen much available so I'm thinking maybe corn doesn't work too well for pasta. Can you describe the general differences in tastes and consistancy? I know it varies from brand to brand, but anything you can tell me will be useful. I usually have a bunch of veggies and stuff with it instead of sauce, so it may not matter so much if it doesn't taste like pasta. I just don't want mushy/pasty junk.

jerseyangel Proficient

I bought some Boles Corn Pasta, but since I bought it, I read that some here didn't like the texture. So every time I make pasta, I go for the Tinkyada--I'm kind of afraid to make it and be stuck with a lousy dinner!! One of these days, though, I'm gonna try it :)

kevsmom Contributor
I bought some Boles Corn Pasta, but since I bought it, I read that some here didn't like the texture. So every time I make pasta, I go for the Tinkyada--I'm kind of afraid to make it and be stuck with a lousy dinner!! One of these days, though, I'm gonna try it :)

The Boles falls into the category that I wrote about earlier. If you are careful about the length of cooking time and rinse the starch off well. It's not bad...But not as good as the Tinkyada.

Cindy

jerseyangel Proficient

Thanks--I guess I'll try it and heed your suggestion :)

tony Newbie

FYI... I suspect that Trader Joe's gluten free pasta is re-branded Tinkyadas.

It looks, tastes, and cooks exactly the same but the Trader Joe's brand is $1.99 for 16oz and the packaged Tinkyada I find in the grocery stores is $3.69 for 12oz.

• 6 years later...
Learner01 Newbie

We cooked our first Tinkyada spaghetti dinner last night. I used the spinach/rice combo. It was amazingly great! Cooked in 15 min, as packaged suggested. Unlike our experiences with other gluten-free pasta wherein the gummy factor always appears just when it's edible, Tinkyada held up perfectly. Yum, Yum Yum! I'll have to go to their website and post my glowing review. By the way, for any Atlanta residents, you'll find Tinkyada products in the 'health' section of Publix supermarkets.

kareng Grand Master

Please note that this thread is 6 years old. Any info about products in these threads could be really out- dated. Check the product for the current info.

Archived