This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is There A Safe Rice Cerial Like Rice Krispies?

nobeer4me

nobeer4me Apprentice

I'm pretty sure rice krispies are forbidden. But is there another safe brand that is ok?

If there is, rice krispie treats could return to the snack menu.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular
I'm pretty sure rice krispies are forbidden. But is there another safe brand that is ok?

If there is, rice krispie treats could return to the snack menu.

Erewon makes Crispy Rice that is a good substitute. Can be hard to find, but it's just as tasty.

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Envirokidz are in lots of regular stores now, but you can find them for sure, in WholeFoods and the like. They have a flavor called, "koala Crunch" that is chocolate rice krispies. There are lots of good, cold, gluten free cereals in the health food stores. In a regular store, Post Fruity and Cocoa Pebbles are gluten free... shocker, I know! Enjoy.

RiceGuy Collaborator

Before I stopped having milk, I liked the plain puffed rice and corn cereals. Nothing on them either, except the milk. Anyway, I haven't looked into the gluten status of either of them, but they are supposed to be just the puffed rice/corn. Though the puffed rice isn't crispy, it might work...sorta...maybe you can toast them first? As they are it would be kinda gooy I guess. There are things you might add to get a crunch though.

I'd also suggest inventing some new treats. The puffed corn isn't as soft, and it seems like they would go well with marshmallow stuff on them. There's also amaranth cereal which has a similar texture to rice crispies. The ones I had where even a similar color, and from what I recall of the flavor, it would pass for a good alternative. It would taste great IMHO, though sugar is off limits to me anyway. Quinoa might work too from what I've read about it, though I have yet to try it. Puffed millet may work too. Toasted sesame seeds would have plenty of crunch, and I think they would taste even better than rice crispy treats, but that's just my opinion. I'd be inclined to try sesame for added crunch and flavor with any of the above mentioned alternatives.

lonewolf Collaborator

I use Barbara's Brown Rice Crisps. According to their website they are gluten-free.

My family likes this alternative to Rice Crispy treats.

Crispy Clusters

1 C +3 Tbs. Almond Butter

1/2 C Honey

1/2 tsp Vanilla

1/2 tsp Cinnamon

Stir together well. I sometimes float the mixing bowl in a larger bowl of warm water to soften the honey and almond butter. When well mixed, stir in:

4 C Brown Rice Crisps

Stir cereal in with spoon at first and then by hand. Form into 1" balls or press into 8 x 8 greased pan. Chill before cutting and serving. I usually double this.

Liz

Guest nini

I use the Erewhon Rice Krisps... the ones that are safe are labeled Gluten Free

cdford Contributor

I have tried several different brands but without the barley malt (and some of them do not even have salt!), they have no flavor. If someone finds one with real flavor, let me know.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Dixie Gal Newbie

WalMart sells a puffed brown rice, no other ingredients for about 78 cents a bag. Same stuff (but organic) is $2. something at my health food store. I like it with frozen raspberries (nuked 30 seconds), stevia, and rice milk ($1.88 at WM) or almond milk!

mightymorg Rookie

Health Valley makes a cereal called Rice Crunch-Ums...they're not puffed, but more like Chex. They're REALLY good. The only other cereal type of thing I tried that's gluten-free are the snack bars by Envirokidz. It's a light bar of puffed rice that comes in different flavors and is somewhat similar to a rice krispies treat, though not as sticky.

Claire Collaborator
Erewon makes Crispy Rice that is a good substitute. Can be hard to find, but it's just as tasty.

In addition to the plain one I just found the same one but with fruits added. A change is as good as a rest! I haven't tried it yet.

nobeer4me Apprentice

Thanks everyone! I will definetley look into some of these products. This is very encouraging! :D

Idahogirl Apprentice

I've noticed that my Wal-Mart still has some of the old Malt-o-Meal Cocoa Dyno-bites (chocolate rice krispies). They added wheat this summer to their ingredients, but take a peek when you're at the store and see if you can still find some. Cheaper than Cocoa Pebbles and the same thing. The old bags are a darker brown. Check ingredients, not just lists-the Corn Bursts are on a mainstream list, but they added wheat to their ingredients recently. I found out one cereal bowl too late!

Lisa

nobeer4me Apprentice

Wheat seems to be in everything! :angry: What about us non wheat folks?

Guest nini
Wheat seems to be in everything! :angry: What about us non wheat folks?

well, I think it's up to us to constantly bombard these companies with phone calls letters and e-mails and keep after them about the need for gluten free products and that gluten is an unneccessary additive and when companies use it, it shows me that they are CHEAP and using it as a filler! (I've actually told a few customer service reps this!) We need to show these companies that we are a significant portion of their potential MARKET and therefore it would behoove them to appease us! LOL!

Archived