This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ladies Only....feminine Problems?

mandigirl1

floridanative Community Regular

This is very interesting to me mandigirl. About three years ago saw my gyno about a rash around my rectum (sorry tmi) and she said it was a yeast infection. Being 39 and luckily never having had one before I thought it was odd that it would happen to me then. Well the yeast cream didn't work so they told me to come back in asap so they could do a skin biopsy. The result was that I had chronic dermatitus something else that starts with an H but I forgot the name. Anyway I got a compound cream rx called Duracream and I have to use it regularly to keep the rash at bay. If I don't use it all the time, the rash flares up. When I started the celiac disease search I called the doc that did the biopsy to make sure they didn't call it DH (the rash that is only for Celiacs) and they said no way and told me the name again - just can't find it now. So my guess is maybe I really have DH. If the diet clears up the rash then I'll have my answer. Anyway, the Duracream is a livesaver. The pharmacist has to mix it - it's not in a tube. Not all phamacies offer this service just in case you want to try it. Your doc should know what it is. Good luck.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

placentamom Newbie

Hi Ladies,

New to the board, but not new to itching! Three things:

1) by clean, I'm assuming that you bathe, which is a good thing. It's possible that you might have an STD. I was diagnosed with Trich a few years ago. No yucky green discharge, just what seemed to be a yeast infection that wouldn't go away. I was faithful, but the guy I was seeing apparently wasn't. I dumped him!

2) If there's no chance that you have an STD because you always, always use condoms, you might have a latex allergy. There are alternatives to latex condoms. (Open Original Shared Link) for the Avanti.

3) Options instead of Always maxis--try the natural thing. (Open Original Shared Link). I use re-usable, washable flannel pads. I do use the disposable kind when I'm going to be away from my home for a few hours, but if I'm just kickin' it, I use flannel. There are many, many options to get you away from yucky chemicals on your privates!

PS Beware the "inactive ingredients" in some yeast infection meds. Sodium Laurel Sulphate is notorous for CAUSING itching. And Benzoyl Peroxide--that's Oxy 10. If it makes your face dry and itchy, image what it could do to your---

• 1 month later...
vawter Newbie

If the itching doesn't go away, you might want to ask your gynecologist about lichen sclerosus. This is an autoimmune condition that causes the symptoms you've described.

This question is for my fellow female Celiacs.....

does anyone know if DH can occur "down there"?

I am not too embarrased to ask this question because having celiac disease can be very complex. You can have symptoms of things and not know if theyre related to celiac disease....

MACE Rookie

Do not know if this will help, but I was going nuts with itching a couple months ago. Went to the doctor and had an exam. Was told that I did have a bad yeast infection that was causing the itching. Was told the infection was up high enough that is why I had not seen any of the normal kind of discharge with most yeast infestions. Was given that awful cream you insert and it cleared it right up.

Rusla Enthusiast

As I am allergic to multiple things, I had to make sure that there is no perfumes in my laundry detergent. Also having latex allergies and other things I have to be careful off. But most of my itching guit below sea level when I went gluten-free.

• 2 months later...
Harplady Newbie

Hello - I was diagnosed with DH on 3/1/06. When I went to the dermatologist I had the rash on my elbows and the genital area. He took a biopsy from one of my elbows and called to tell me that I had DH. I've assumed that the genital rash went along with the DH diagnosis since I've never had that problem before one way or the other. I still have both and am told that it will take a very long time 2 years or more to get rid of the rash because gluten stays in your body a very long time. I've been gluten free since the diagnosis and am still in the throws of "what to eat". I'm getting there though.

I've done lots of research and read in several places that if you have DH, you automatically have celiac disease and that you don't even need a biopsy of the small intestine to know that. Anyone else?

Thanks for being there! Harplady

TCA Contributor

I and most of the women in my family have horrible problems with yeast infections. I had my first at 10, before I even hit puberty. The itching and swelling can be unbearable. This may sound elementary in advice, but sleep without underwear, unless it's your time of the month, of course. I've found that if I sleep with them it's just awful. Just get air to the region as much as you can, wearing loose clothing. I also take acidolphilus supplements. My husband even got a yeast infection. I didn't know guys could, but it was like a rash. My son got one when put on antibiotics too. Both just used a topical cream prescribed by the doc. I also have a latex intolerance and condoms are awful. It took time for me to develop the problem and it got worse quick. It seemed like the allergic reaction to the latex would start the yeast infection. I really know how you feel and hope it gets better soon. It can drive you crazy!!!!! :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ursa Major Collaborator

I just want to say that I am so glad I checked out this thread back a little over a month ago. Somehow I was too rushed then to reply. But I had been having the same problem, with itching so bad, I thought I'd go insane.

Since I've had my second daughter in 1981 by C-section, I've had recurrent bladder infections, and stress incontinence. So, I had been using just regular panty shields for years (and was itching, but not so bad that I thought much of it), but switched to Poise panty shields some time last summer. I never connected the terrible itching to the poise panty shields, until I read this thread. I went and bought cotton pads, and after I started using them, the itching was completely gone within four days! What a relief that was. Even though I find the fabric pads aren't as convenient, not having that awful itching any more is worth it.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

I'VE HAD THIS RECENTLY--USUALLY AFTER A BOUT OF 'D'.

ALSO WHEN I HAVE DAIRY I HAVE SOME INCONTINENT PROBLEMS WITH URINE.

SO USED SOME CHEAP CVS PADS.

ALSO , THE THE 'D' I'D USE SOME CHEAP ACME BABY WIPES..

ALSO WAS USING A SOAP WITH --(Sodium Laurel Sulphate is notorous for CAUSING itching.) CUT THIS FROM A POST ON HERE...IT IS SOOOO DRYING AND I THINK THAT'S WHAT STARTED THE ITCHING.

MY CHIRO HAS A PRODUCT CALLED ..YEAST DEFENSE I THINK IT IS AND I TAKE THAT WHEN I HAVE THE PROBLEM.

SINCE I CHANGED SOAPS, DON'T USE THE INCONTINENT PADS AND CHANGED TO PAMPERS SENSITIVE WIPES I'VE BEEN REALLY GOOD WITH THE ITCHY.

JUDY IN PHILLY

Franceen Explorer

Yes, I have the same thing. I have had it for as long as I've had my terrible "DH-like" rash.

And it got WORSE when I started taking Dapsone.

I now am getting a rash-reaction to the Dapsone and the crotch problem is much worse too.

I have used creams, steroids, anti-fungals, neosporin, yeast creams, all to no avail.

I suspect it is DH and Dapsone.

If you find out, PLEASE let me know.

:unsure::(

Guest Robbin

Hi, I don't know if this helps, but I get terrible itching problems from using Charmin t.p.-I couldn't find any other reason, so I switched to cottonelle ripples w/aloe and it made a difference for me. :)

Robix Apprentice

Hi !

Just wanted to add my two cents in - has terrible recurring and chronic yeast infections for many years, which were symptomless, as in no pastiness, no smell, but just terrible terrible itching - and somehow worse at night.

I found that the cremes and diflucan and all that junk would help for a few days but never really took care of the problem. And they can be damned expensive too.

Since going gluten-free and taking probiotics I have not had one single reoccurance (I take the lactose free yogurt pills for compromised GI tracts which is a superduper megadose after every meal or snack, so three to 6 pills per day) . So either I had major system-wide candida that the probiotics are handling, or maybe it was caused by the gluten.

Hard to tell!!! These days I just "blame it on gluten" all the time!

My lottery ticket was a dud? Blame it on gluten.

I yelled at my boyfriend? Just blame it on gluten!

Got a parking ticket? Damned, the gluten strikes again!

LOL! I think I need to make a t-shirt!

Seriously though - I read through the suggestions on the thread, and sounds like a lot of great advice. I just wanted to throw the probiotics into the pool as an alternative to explore.

Good luck - and you have my empathy, its a terrible feeling to have a constant itch down there.

Hugs

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

I use Scott's t/p and also probiotics and a yeast defence pill when the 'itch' comes lurky.

judy

ravenwoodglass Mentor

It is very possible to have dh sores in this area. Also the mucous membranes react strongly to gluten, in some countries they use a gluten rectal suppositories and then biopsy the rectal mucosa for celiac diagnosis instead of the more invasive endo. Many womens sanitary products are NOT gluten free, I can't tell you which brands are safe, celiac took care of my periods years ago and though my gyno said they may come back it doesn't look like it will happen. Beware especially of the everyday pads most are scented and many contain materials that are processed to make them more absorbent, call your manufacturors to make sure they are safe.

• 2 weeks later...
redwing Newbie
This question is for my fellow female Celiacs.....

does anyone know if DH can occur "down there"?

I am not too embarrased to ask this question because having celiac disease can be very complex. You can have symptoms of things and not know if theyre related to celiac disease....sometimes the doctors arent even sure. So, heres the problem:

I am a healthy, clean 33 year old with celiac disease (who gets her periods every month, and never had children). Ive never had any problems other than the occasional yeast infection. I go for check ups regularly and get a clean bill of health. Lately, Ive been having an invisible "rash" down there and dont have any idea whats causing it. This never happened to me before--ever. I have a horrible itch that never goes away!!! There looks like nothing is wrong, but the itch is so bad sometimes I want to.....well, lets leave that one out-you can imagine....

Last month I had a swelling and it blew up terribly. Had to take those baths and use cream/spray. It went away but not the itch. I've changed soaps, laundry detergents, even the type of underwear I usually wear. I stopped wearing tight jeans, and stopped taking vitamins which I believed may have caused it. I stopped eating sweets like chocolate too. The itch is still only minutes away from starting up. I cant for the life of me figure out why the hell this is happening.....

So, Im wondering, can DH, or just sensitive/allergic skin be the cause of this?

Please, if anyone can shed light on this for me Id be grateful!!!!!

I am going crazy!!!!

Thanks

• 2 months later...
Kristi716 Newbie

For the last 5 years I have had many problems with rashes, bumps and sores in that area. I have seen tons of docs in NJ and NY. This week they have told me that I have Celiac Disease. They told me that once I get my body into the gluten free stage my area was not hurt, itch or burn any more. The way the doc explains it is that, when you have Celiac your vit D drops which effects the mucus membrain in the area below as well as the mouth and lips. This is probably why the cold and vaginal skin breaks down. That is what I was told. I hope this helps you. The other thing the docs give me is a numbing cream. Do you know if Celiac cause yeast infections? I think it does but I am not sure. I know how you feel.

• 1 month later...
Georgina Newbie

<_< Hi there!

I'm new to the forum, but not celiac disease & DH. Mom & I are both celiacs & have been through the gambit of sypmtoms, misdiagnoses, etc, at the hands of weel-meaning, but poorly or mis-informed docs. What do ya expect when they are told, as our GP was that they would NEER encounter this disease in practice so it was merely a theory lesson *sigh*

Anyhow, for those of you who can stand to ook at other people's itches, there are a few really good pics of DH rash on this page. including rash "there"

Open Original Shared Link

And yes, you can so get it on your 'parts', been there, done that. Also used to have concurrent oral herpes on the roof of my mouth when I had a DH our break. Thankfully that has also disappeared along with the DH, 7 years into the gluten-free diet! Yippee!

But just when I thought it would not happen again, here comes an outbreak in between my toes on my left foot - the cause a sauced item I was skeptical of and should have avoided.

Many years ago, I also had a huge full body coating of sores, "there" and the crack included when I ate a lovely New Years dinner of paella 4 months after going gluten-free. The sores were literally ewverywhere, including my ears, throat, eyelids... WHo knew that shrimp & mussles could do that !!! Then I found a reference t IgA residue remaining in the skin for many years after being gluten-free on a British DH site.

Have also had my DH rashes called psoriasis, dishydrotic eczema (translation - really itchy, we don't know the cause, but have some cortisone cream anyhow).

Hopefully in years to come there will be more preakthoughs & better information to help those afflicted & suffering needlessly

Live and learn! Everyday with celiac disease/DH is a lesson!

Georgina :ph34r:

AndreaB Contributor
Many womens sanitary products are NOT gluten free, I can't tell you which brands are safe

Beware especially of the everyday pads most are scented and many contain materials that are processed to make them more absorbent, call your manufacturors to make sure they are safe.

Great, I forget what I use, Always or Stayfree. Haven't had a cycle since I found out about gluten intolerance. Had started having more irregular cycles prior to my last pregnancy (my baby in 9 months old). I thought it was the soy.....maybe soy and gluten. Will have to look into this now.

jenvan Collaborator
Great, I forget what I use, Always or Stayfree. Haven't had a cycle since I found out about gluten intolerance. Had started having more irregular cycles prior to my last pregnancy (my baby in 9 months old). I thought it was the soy.....maybe soy and gluten. Will have to look into this now.

I also recommend, if you can afford the extra $, to buy all-natural, unbleached pads or tampons. Natracare and Seventh Generation have them. Means less chemicals and yuckies getting into the body...

dkjones2 Newbie

I have had one itchy incident after I found out I had Celiac, did everything like you changed soaps, toilet tissue, new white underwear,bath soap, you name it I changed it my Dr was as frustrated as I was We started to eliminate items. Come to find out it was the over the counter birth control inserts and of course condoms are no good for Celiac suffers. No over the counter birth control no itchy!!

cdford Contributor

For those of you who are active, you might want to consider whether your partner has showered since coming into contact wtih gluten. My spouse worked at a pizza place for several years and we finally realized that he had to shower prior to being with me or he shared that wheat dust that had transferred from his clothes or hands got onto my private areas and triggered a round of itching and swelling. Remember that the guys can wash their hands after going to the bathroom, but anything that was on their hands prior to that can now be on their private parts.

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

-

Archived