This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Who's From Michigan?

StrongerToday

tudurhen Newbie
Hello, I am from Big Rapids Michigan. Diagnosed 2 years ago this Feb 19. I am 40 years old and work for a title insurance company. I recently seperated from my husband of 7 years. I am looking for freinds. I have been alone since I was diagnosed, there are no close support groups for me, or anyone around me with celiac disease. I was also diagnosed with Microscopic Colitis. You can email me or I have yahoo messenger. My messenger Id is: lilith_of_malroy@yahoo.com

Hello, I am from Big Rapids Michigan. Diagnosed 2 years ago this Feb 19. I am 40 years old and work for a title insurance company. I recently seperated from my husband of 7 years. I am looking for freinds. I have been alone since I was diagnosed, there are no close support groups for me, or anyone around me with celiac disease. I was also diagnosed with Microscopic Colitis. You can email me or I have yahoo messenger. My messenger Id is: lilith_of_malroy@yahoo.com

[/quo

I am self diagnosed. I live in Paris and do all my shopping in Big Rapids

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Girl Ninja Newbie

I'm from Algonac. It's northeast of Detroit at the base of the thumb.

mmccliment Newbie

Any fellow Michigan-ders out there? Brrr.... it's too cold already isn't it?

I'm in Lansing now. Last summer was hot enough for me, so I'm enjoying this cool start!

• 2 weeks later...
acousticmom Explorer

I'm from Ortonville (between Flint & Pontiac). My son was dx'd in December '05; I've been gluten-free since Jan. and will probably challenge it next month.

My celiac son (and non-celiac daughter) will be spending a week at a camp near Traverse City. Hubby and I will probably camp nearby to be available if needed--it's such a great area for a getaway without kids!

I'm working with the camp's kitchen manager to see if there is anything he can safely eat. While they're very willing to help, it still seems like a big risk. We'll probably end up bringing most of his food for the week, but that seems like a lot to pack. It might be nice to be able to buy some of it while we're up there.

Does anybody know who carries gluten-free foods in the Traverse City area, or if there are any restaurants with gluten-free menus?

Carol

• 2 weeks later...
sharikay Rookie
B) I am in southwest Michigan, Berrien County. Any celiacs near me to communicated with? Am contemplating a gluten-free bakery for this area. :huh: Any comments or commentaries appreciated. :rolleyes:
steveindenver Contributor

I'm headed to Troy/Madison Heights this coming weekend for work. Staying Friday - Monday. Any recommendations on where to eat? I'll have a car. Staying in a hotel. Breakfast always seems hard, so any suggestions on where to dine would be appreciated. I lived in A2/Ypsi for 2.5 years, and I'm sure there'd be options there, but I'd rather not drive the 45 minutes from Troy to A2 just to eat. If you want to email me directly, please do so at denverguy67@hotmail.com

Thanks.

mommida Enthusiast

You are going to be right by Bel Cibo, on 14 Mile and Main in Clawson. It is a gluten free store and small eatery. You can order a gluten free pizza and eat it right there.

On 16 Mile road in Troy there is Maggiono's Italian. They will prepare anything for you gluten free, they even have gluten free pasta.

You will be close to PF Chang's at the Somerset Mall also on 16 Mile (which is called Metro Parkway in that area).

You can PM me if want more information.

L.

Go to Bel Cibo's and buy some of the Celiac Specialty donuts. Not too healthy but you will think you are eating a "normal" donut. I think Chef Andrew will be more than helpful for getting any food you want.

L.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StrongerToday Enthusiast

You could actually go to Celiac Specialites bakery... I've never been but I hear it's the proverbial "kid in a gluten-free candy store" :P I have also ate at Giulios, it was very very good - almost any item on their menu can be made gluten-free and they have breadsticks :rolleyes: www.giulios.us

mommida Enthusiast

Bel Cibo carries some of the Celiac Specialty baked goods. Save yourself the drive, and call Bel Cibos and see if you can put an order in for some baked goods you want.

I think the drive out to Chesterfield might be too far (especially during rush hour).

L.

Celiac Specialities is closed until Monday (I leave Monday night). So I am planning on making the trip out there during the day on Monday. But, my question is, is it worth it? It's roughly 30 minutes or so from where I'll be in Madison Heights (14 Mile/John R). Is it worth the drive for their bakery yummies? We have a place here in Denver that some people rave about and it is HIGHLY overrated. Dry muffins. Blech.

wozzy Apprentice

I go to U of M, so I'm in Ann Arbor.

mommida Enthusiast
Celiac Specialities is closed until Monday (I leave Monday night). So I am planning on making the trip out there during the day on Monday. But, my question is, is it worth it? It's roughly 30 minutes or so from where I'll be in Madison Heights (14 Mile/John R). Is it worth the drive for their bakery yummies? We have a place here in Denver that some people rave about and it is HIGHLY overrated. Dry muffins. Blech.

Depending on what time of day you are going to attempt the drive makes a HUGE difference. If you like glazed donuts, it's worth the drive.

L.

I found their donuts at Hiller's Markets and YUM! They taste like regular donuts. And Bel Cibo's was great. I had this fantastic quinoa greek salad there. I will definitely go back there when I am in town. And I also had dinner in Livonia at Giuli's (I think that's the name of the Italian place). Fantastic gluten-free pasta and breadsticks.

mommida Enthusiast

I'm glad to hear you had a great experience! I told you those donuts were good!

L.

StrongerToday Enthusiast

I just read in the Detroit Free Press yesterday that Giulio's Cucina Italiana in Livonia is having a totally gluten free night featuring a 5 course meal for $23 on August 7. Not sure if it's on their web site or not. I have ate there and it was very good, I will be going back for sure!

Their website is www.giulios.us

mommida Enthusiast

I read that too. Are you planning on going?

L.

StrongerToday Enthusiast

I'd like to, but probably not. Wish they did it on a weekend!!

I ate there last weekend when I was in town and it was fantastic. The best gluten-free bread and pasta I've had yet! The manager came over and talked with me (I forget his name now, but have his card at my office and even sent him a thank you note). You should talk with him and see if they'll be doing this again another night. I wish we had a restaurant like that here in Denver.

• 2 weeks later...
mumseyh Rookie
I'm from Ortonville (between Flint & Pontiac). My son was dx'd in December '05; I've been gluten-free since Jan. and will probably challenge it next month.

My celiac son (and non-celiac daughter) will be spending a week at a camp near Traverse City. Hubby and I will probably camp nearby to be available if needed--it's such a great area for a getaway without kids!

I'm working with the camp's kitchen manager to see if there is anything he can safely eat. While they're very willing to help, it still seems like a big risk. We'll probably end up bringing most of his food for the week, but that seems like a lot to pack. It might be nice to be able to buy some of it while we're up there.

Does anybody know who carries gluten-free foods in the Traverse City area, or if there are any restaurants with gluten-free menus?

Carol

Hi, I'm originally from Allen Park. I taught school in Ortonville in 1977. Have been in Wisconsin for 20 years. I am waiting for biopsy results from skeptical GI doc. Have positive blood test results. Good luck with your son. It must be a lot for him to deal with.

BBadgero Newbie

Hello all from Michigan. Checking in from East Lansing here. I just went gluten-free recently, but don't have my follow-up with the GI until September. She left it up to me, but I chose gluten-free (but keep tagging myself - a term I use for "totally ate gluten!")... darn it!

• 1 month later...
Pythagorea Newbie

Hi, I'm new to this board and new to a gluten-free lifestyle. I'm from Allen Park. Happy to see there are other people in Michigan who have this disease. I'm definitely still learning.

• 2 months later...
mumseyh Rookie
Hi, I'm new to this board and new to a gluten-free lifestyle. I'm from Allen Park. Happy to see there are other people in Michigan who have this disease. I'm definitely still learning.

Hi,

I'm also from Allen Park, but I have lived in Wisconsin for 20 years. I am also new to gluten-free since last summer. Good luck, and hope you find good places to shop. This is a good place to start. Several people have mentioned places in Ann Arbor. I will want to check them out next time I visit.

Nancy

mommida Enthusiast

I just read an article about Amici's adding a gluten free pizza to their menu. Amici's and the Living Room are located at 3249 W. 12 Mile in Berkley.

The Natural Food Patch at 221 W. Nine mile road in Ferndale have added more gluten free items for sale.

Chef Andrew was interviewed about Bel Cibo in the article. He listed how far some people have traveled to visit and Denver was mentioned. Steve in Denver, you are a bragging rights customer! :D

L.

• 1 month later...
Chef Andrew was interviewed about Bel Cibo in the article. He listed how far some people have traveled to visit and Denver was mentioned. Steve in Denver, you are a bragging rights customer! :D

L.

Now if he would just send me the quinoa greek salad recipe! I've emailed him numerous times and am just giving up at this point. It was so good!!!

mommida Enthusiast
Now if he would just send me the quinoa greek salad recipe! I've emailed him numerous times and am just giving up at this point. It was so good!!!

He was looking a bit tired the last time I visited in October. He mentioned not working weekends til the new year. Next time I go, I will try and get the recipe for you.

Laura

How are you doing out there with all that snow?

Archived