#1 JasonJayhawk

JasonJayhawk

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 01:31 PM

:blink:

I've been a lurker for the past couple weeks, but now that we have test results, here's the question:

Does anyone know what it could mean if the anti-tissue transglutaminase autobody test (tTG) is below normal? (Reference range is 4 to 6, her result is 2.0).

My 26Y wife has been having severe abdominal pain for over a year, but it has been increasing with severe intensity. A biopsy has confirmed inflammation -- but the villi (where the biopsy was taken, at least) are intact. A barium swallow has indicated nothing out of the ordinary.

I'm guessing that if the autoantibody test is below normal, perhaps she doesn't produce IgA, and therefore it shows a below-normal range? Does this sound right?

She doesn't see the doctor until January. Would a gluten-free diet be suggested?

Any ideas or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by JasonJayhawk, 05 December 2005 - 03:03 PM.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 chaddwell

chaddwell

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 02:06 PM

Welcome! I am fairly new myself.

I'll give my input but hopefully some others with more knowledge will chime in.

I am going to agree with what you said about the possibility of her being IgA deficient. Did she also have a total serum IgA done with the other tests? That will measure whether or not she has a normal amount of antibodies. She should ask her doctor about this.

Did she have other tests done at the time?

If the doctor plans on doing more testing she should probably stay on her regular diet. But others will tell you that the best way to know if going gluten-free will help is to do it. Just not before more diagnostic testing, otherwise the results won't be accurate.

As I said, you'll probably get more info from others here. Good luck to both of you! It's great that you are here trying to get info to help her.

Channon

#3 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 02:18 PM

:blink:

I've been a lurker for the past couple weeks, but now that we have test results, here's the question:

Does anyone know what it could mean if the anti-tissue transglutaminase autobody test (tTG) is below normal? (Reference range is 4 to 6, her result is 2.0).

My 26Y wife has been having severe abdominal pain for over a year, but it has been increasing with severe intensity. A biospy has confirmed inflammation -- but the villi (where the biopsy was taken, at least) are intact. A barium swallow has indicated nothing out of the ordinary.

I'm guessing that if the autoantibody test is below normal, perhaps she doesn't produce IgA, and therefore it shows a below-normal range? Does this sound right?

She doesn't see the doctor until January. Would a gluten-free diet be suggested?

Any ideas or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Its possible she could have an IgA deficiency. She should be tested for that. If you are looking for a definate diagnosis you should not start the diet until all testing is complete otherwise you may be left with unanswered questions. The response to the diet will definately give you some kind of answer but January is not that far away. If she is not too ill she can just enjoy the holidays eating normally and get the tests completed in January. If the tests are inconclusive or negative I'd still try the diet since there is inflamation and the tests arent always accurate.
Rachel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: