17 replies to this topic

#16 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 12:51 PM

I must say I disagree about the show being a bad place to discuss Celiac disease. It's not all about aliens and monsters. They are quite well respected, and the topics get a full three hours of honest and in-depth discussion. I listen nightly, and while they do look at paranormal stuff too, it's with real science, physics and logical points of view. They don't attack subjects and laugh it off. Some people listen for entertainment, but most like myself are listening to get informed, and those are the people who will be listening to such a topic. I found out a lot about casein from the show just the other night. I've learned a lot about health subjects from this show. Many doctors and nurses listen to get the information they can't get from medical journals, which really just push drugs. Those who listen for kicks will likely turn it off anyway.

Having real doctors and scientists on the show is something they always do. They don't ever bring on "wackos". The Celiac disease experts I named are good candidates, with real credentials. They don't allow people without credentials on the show at all, not even "just for laughs".

Anyway, it's not a "station". It's a really highly respected show with hundreds of affiliate stations all over the country. They frequently direct so much traffic to the website of a guest that the servers are overwhelmed! This site would get a ton of people looking at it, and I'm sure there would be a huge amount of new members who really need help with their health. While it's not "the six o'clock news", Celiac won't get there from where it is now. Change of this magnitude takes time, just as healing from Celiac takes time.

Don't underestimate the power of this show to get positive results. They are frequently way ahead of the mainstream press on many stories and topics.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Nevadan

Nevadan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 09:34 PM

One radio program I enjoy is NPR's "Talk of the Nation Science Friday" - runs from 11:00a-1:00p on my local PBS station - also available via the web. They cover a wide range of subjects. Their format is usually to have 2 or 3 "recognized authorities" give a brief overview followed by questions from listeners. I emailed them Friday's WSJ celiac article suggesting they use it as a basis for a segment - looks like a good fit.

George

#18 nogluten!

nogluten!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 09:49 PM

The last two radio shows discussed sound interesting. I didn't realize radio had such fun stuff on it. I'll have to check them out.
Every day is a blessing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: