This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Aaahhhhh ? Problems With Dairy

Bonnie

Bonnie Explorer

Hi guys,

I have noticed the last week every time I have milk or yoghurt I feel really nauseous but even more strange - my heartbeat goes crazy - really fast. The nausea is bad especially after quite a lot of milk e.g. in cereal.

I have been tested for dairy before and it came back negative. Are these normal symptoms of dairy intolerance or could it be something else?

I can manage without gluten but dairy? OMG - not so sure ..... :P

Yvonne

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenvan Collaborator

Yvonne-

How are things are your side of the world??

First off, which type of test did you have done? Was it for a true milk allergy (IgE) or for a dairy intolerance (IgG)? You could have an intolerance and therefore it does not show up in a "true" allergy test. That is what I have.

Second, could the heart beat be a result of the naseau? It can be common to get anxious or 'worked up' internally when you are feeling sick or anticipating throwing up perhaps. Just an idea...

Also-are you sure the yogurt is gluten-free?

jcgirl Apprentice

Yvonne,

My son has the same symptoms along with actual vomitting. He had a Hydrogen Breath Test done for lactose intolerance which came back positive. This test can also detect bacterial overgrowth. It takes about 2 hours, other than that it is an easy test, you just blow into this tube every 30 minutes. Good luck and I hope you find the source of your symptoms. I know how frustrating it can be.

Guest BERNESES

Yvonne- maybe this story will make you feel bettter. Than again, maybe not. OK- this is not for the faint of heart, but I have a very adolescent sense of humor. Consider yourself warned. Last Thursday, my sister went into labor with her second baby so I, 'Auntie Bev" took over care of her 2 year old, Olivia. Now granted, my sister tries but there was NOTHING gluten-free to eat in the house, I was exhausted, stressed, etc. So after two days of watching my niece, I was pretty hungry.

So, I'm driving to take her to see the reindeer at this Christmas tree farm to keep her entertained and I haven't had any breakfast. All the gluten-free stuff was gone so I figured, I'll get a small shake at McDonald's- they're gluten-free right? I've been better with lactose lately so I took my obligatory Lactaid pills and drank my shake.

Half an hour later I'm driving and I thought, "Uh oh, I'm going to vomit." So I leaned forward to grab a cup from my trash (I'm on I 95 here!) but it couldn't wait. I ended up projectile vomiting all over my dashboard! And I mean PROJECTILE. I pulled up at the Christmas tree farm and all my in-laws were there and I rolled down the window and said, 'You guys, I need help" My father-in-law comes over and sees the vomit all over the place and says, "Uh oh, Olivia, did you have an accident?" My 2 year old niece looks at him and sayd "No, my Bev sick." I burst out laughing.

So, uhmmm.... maybe I'm not doing so good with lactose either :rolleyes:

I had the allergy test and i am not allergic to dairy but I've noticed that my lactose tolerance waxes and wanes. If I've been glutened in the recent past, I don't tolerate it well at all. I usually cut it out for awhile and then try again.

I find that going without dairy is much harder than going without glute. You can have my bread, but leave me my cheese please!

jenvan Collaborator

Berneses-

Oh my gosh! Here's to hoping you can take your car to get detailed! :blink:

tarnalberry Community Regular

It could well be milk. I also wonder what type of testing you had. I can't have milk myself, and have read that exacerbation of heart burn can happen with milk.

Bonnie Explorer

Thanks everyone for your responses. You guys are so good on this forum - don't know what I'd do without it!

I haven't actually had any allergy testing. I had intolerance testing for specific food on the BEST system. This system was what picked up my gluten orginally. It also picked up intolerances to rice, seeds, chocolate, peanuts, sucrose etc. etc. but the dairy was fine every time. Went back every 6 months over a period of a year.

However I think I may have developed a bit of an intolerance to dairy because I'm stuffing my face with it :D

At the moment I don't have ordinary coffee in the morning - I have a latte! I eat plain yoghurt till its coming out my ears. Jenvan, yes I am sure the yoghurt is gluten free and I stick to plain yoghurt, don't eat the flavoured ones. P.S. My side of the world is really hot! 32°C here today + about 10° for the humidity.

Berneses - had quite a laugh at the way you told your story although its not funny! Hope your car smells ok now! :lol:

I will try and stay away from dairy for a while because its actually making me feel pretty rotten. I have got quite good at narrowing down whats bothering my gut. We get lots of practice don't we? Although the though of living with extra mature cheddar cheese .........

Yvonne

I haven't actually had any allergy testing. I had intolerance testing for specific food on the BEST system. This system was what picked up my gluten orginally. It also picked up intolerances to rice, seeds, chocolate, peanuts, sucrose etc. etc. but the dairy was fine every time. Went back every 6 months over a period of a year.

Yvonne

Oops made a mistake. Went back every 6 WEEKS over a year period!

Yvonne

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Bonnie Explorer

Sorry, just thought of something else.

Sure its been asked many times but what is the difference between casein intolerance, dairy or lactose intolerance? I'm very confused. I bought some lactose reduced milk yesterday but I'm still feeling yucky today. Not ill ill, just a bit nauseous all the time, stomach rumbly and a bit achy. So how would I avoid casein for a while to see if its that?

I've been constipated my whole life and thought it would get better being gluten-free but it's not (gluten-free for 8 months now). I have to take stuff every single day to have a single bowel movement, so perhaps its the dairy or casein that's contributing to it?

Yvonne

jenvan Collaborator

Yvonne-

After being reminded of you C issue, I DEFINITELY recommend losing the dairy. Frankly, from what I've read this past year, dairy isn't as great as all the advertisements tell us! And, although the dairy industry pushes the "necessity" of consuming milk for health, its not hard to go without. However, I know you are in a bit of different situation where you are. I do rec. a calcium supplement vs milk...

Difference--basically, lactose intolerance means your body has trouble digesting lactose, which is the form of sugar present in milk. That goes for most of the population once they reach a certain age, and especially for Celiacs, b/c as we lose our villi, we lose the part of our intestines that secretes the lactase enzyme to break down lactose. A dairy/casein intolerance is an intolerance to casein, the protein in milk, similar to how gluten in the protein in meat and your body's immune symptom reacts to it. Usually, but not always, lactose intolerance presents itself in GI type symptoms--gas, bloating etc, and casein intolerance can present GI symptoms as well as other symptoms like respiratory problems, itchy etc. So, if someone has a casein intolerance, drinking a lactose free milk will still give them problems.

I am def. casein intolerant, and did have an intolerance test done. However, I could 'get away' with consuming dairy. I choose not too b/c my biggest issue with constipation. It definitely has that effect on me. I wasn't sure, so I kept a food journal and confirmed it that way. I'd say its worth a try in your case!

This list is long--but it is a helpful list of word dairy can hide under in a food label:

ammonium caseinate

artificial butter flavor

butter

butter fat

butter solids/fat

butter oil

buttermilk

calcium caseinate

caramel color

caramel flavoring

casein

caseinate

cheese

condensed milk

cottage cheese

cream

cream curds

custard

delactosed whey

demineralized whey

dry milk

dry milk solids

evaporated milk

flavoring (this may contain milk products, so make sure it is dairy free)

ghee

goat's milk

half-and-half

high protein flour

hydrolysates

hydrolyzed casein

hydrolyzed milk protein

iron caseinate

lactalbumin

lactalbumin phosphate

lactate

lactic acid

lactoferrin

lactoglobulin

lactose

lactulose

low-fat milk

magnesium caseinate

malted milk

margarine (this may contain milk products so make sure it is dairy free)

milk

milk derivative

milk fat

milk powder

milk protein

milk solids

natural flavoring

nonfat milk

nougat

opta

potassium caseinate

powdered milk

protein (this ingredient could be milk protein so check to be sure)

rennet casein

Simplesse

skimmed milk

sodium caseinate

sour cream

sour cream solids

sour milk solids

whey

whey powder

whey protein concentrate

whey protein hydrolysate

whole milk

yogurt

zinc caseinate

Bonnie Explorer

Jen, you are an absolute star.

I have always had a little niggle in the back of the my mind that my constipation may improve if I stay off dairy but I've conveniently ignored it! I think staying of dairy is a hell of a lot more difficult than staying off gluten which I managed relatively easily.

But you can used to anything I reckon. So starting today - no more dairy. Even drinking Rooibos tea with lemon instead of coffee right now! :) Rooibos is a herbal tea we make here in South Africa.

Thanks for the list, I will print it out and keep it with me for now.

I also have never done a food diary - pure laziness on my part. But I will start one. Now that I know how good I can feel by simply changing my diet - its definitely worth it!

Thanks for your help, have a great day!

Yvonne

Guest BERNESES

Wow Jen- thank you for that list! B

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Yeah...thanks for that list Jen! :D

What about ghee though? I have some and it says on the jar that its lactose and casein free. Can it really be casein free? :huh:

jenvan Collaborator

Rachel--go here to see a good explanation--I guess "technicall" it is cf and lactose free. Open Original Shared Link I am betting that ghee is on the list b/c it is an ingredient we should question to make sure, similar to 'natural flavors' :)

Yvonne- woo hoo! who needs dairy anyway!? i will say my pref is rice milk. soy gives me issues. i think it is good on cereal and you can use it as a sub in cooking too. i like sorbet instead of ice cream. i use olive oil instead of butter when cooking meats, veggies. the only thing i really miss in a cf diet is cheese. you can do it--can't wait to hear the results!

traveljunkie Rookie

I second that...who needs dairy!!! It's not great for us...just the big food industry companies trying to brain wash us into thinking what's good for us. It's all about the $ and not about the health of the people. Like my son always says" we're not calves trying to weigh 500 lbs in 6 mos." He's totally right and everytime I see the dairy commercial about how dairy can help you loose weight...yeah right! :P

My whole family hasn't had milk since Feb. and the amazing thing is none of us are getting colds, etc. like we usually do!! Something to think about!!

I don't need dairy, and I can't have dairy, but there is no great substitute for some of the tasty dairy products, like cheese and yogurt (if you're not doing soy). (Nope, still haven't gotten starter to make my own almond yogurt or rice yogurt.) But the holy grail of cheese... oh, how I miss mozerrella!

Bonnie Explorer

Jen, I tried soya milk this morning - not bad on my cereal but totally DISGUSTING in coffee :angry:

I've tasted rice milk before and I really like it so that's obviously the way to go rather than soya.

BUT what about chocolate? Surely there is no such thing as dairy-free chocolate?

Actually I think CF is really daunting, more so than gluten-free.

I think I can live without cheese and yoghurt, I quite like soya yoghurt (not sure if there is casein in it though, will have to check).

I already don't eat bread because I can't find any gluten-free one here that I can swallow but I do eat the Glutano cracker bread quite a lot but what on earth would I put on it - I usually have cottage cheese or egg or tuna and mayo.

I'm very willing to try this dairy free but I'm a bit stuck on what to eat now. :huh:

I'm not very inventive or imaginative I'm afraid. One of those people that can't cook without a specific recipe!

Sooooooo - I'm being a pain but can someone give me an example of a typical day's diet. Sorry!

Thanks guys. So happy it's Friday!!!

Yvonne

CMCM Rising Star

I think I remember reading somewhere that humans are the only living beings that drink milk past infancy. Interesting to think about.

I don't need dairy, and I can't have dairy, but there is no great substitute for some of the tasty dairy products, like cheese and yogurt (if you're not doing soy). (Nope, still haven't gotten starter to make my own almond yogurt or rice yogurt.) But the holy grail of cheese... oh, how I miss mozerrella!
jenvan Collaborator

Yvonne--

There is some dairy free chocolate out there. Not sure about what's available where you are...But to I know are enjoylife chip choc chips and Tropical Source--all gluten-free/cf chocolate chips and bars in different flavors :)Open Original Shared Link

Typical day for me:

Breakfast: cereal with rice milk

Snack: apple with natural peanut butter or honey

Lunch: salad w/ lots of fresh veggies (tomato, peppers, carrot, celery, cucumber, brocolli, etc.), meat such as chicken left over from dinner, smoked ham deli meat, sometimes beans like pinto or black beans, salad dressing--dairy free (I use Annie's) or you could make some of your own w/ oil, vinegar, spices, sugar or honey, mustard.

Snack: cookie such as enjoylife or nana banana; lundberg rice chips (or tortilla) and salsa; fruit snack like Fruit Leather or Nature Valley fruit bars; nuts

Dinner: meat like chicken, pork chop, hamburger cooked with seasonings, always a vegetable like steamed brocolli, seasoned/sauteed carrots, stirfried veggies (peppers, mushrooms, carrots, water chestnuts, peas, etc), sometimes rice or quinoa or baked sweet potato or baked sweet potato fries-yum!; breakfast for dinner, eggs with sausage and veggies, salt/pepper; lots of homemade soups with homemade tortillas; beans and rice w/chicken sausage; pasta w/homemade sauce, veggies and/or ground beef/sausage; gluten-free meatloaf; burgers w/fries; taco salad; tacos-ckn or beef with sauteed onions, peppers etc and tortillas

Dessert: cookie, popsicle, fruit salad with honey

I know this was vague ideas but if you want more specifics, let me know, I can give you recipes, and websites etc. You can do it girl! :D

Felidae Enthusiast

There is dairy-free chocolate, it is called cocoa and you can add sugar and almond or rice milk to homemade chocolate. The Silk brand of soymilk is the only one that I like in my coffee. Silk also makes a chocolate soymilk which is tasty. You can also get 85% cocoa dark chocolate bars which don't have any dairy in them.

I thought going cf was hard for a few weeks but it does get easier. I think dairy is addictive, so once I got past that point of thinking about it all the time, things were easier. I've found that I have replaced cheese (my favorite food) with homemade hummus, salsa or guacamole.

Fleischmann's makes a Gluten-free Casein-free margarine. Peanut butter is good on bread.

The only thing is, I don't know what to do about pizza. I love homemade pizza with mozza or swiss or gouda and parmesan.

Jen, I tried soya milk this morning - not bad on my cereal but totally DISGUSTING in coffee :angry:

BUT what about chocolate? Surely there is no such thing as dairy-free chocolate?

Actually I think CF is really daunting, more so than gluten-free.

I think I can live without cheese and yoghurt, I quite like soya yoghurt (not sure if there is casein in it though, will have to check).

I already don't eat bread because I can't find any gluten-free one here that I can swallow but I do eat the Glutano cracker bread quite a lot but what on earth would I put on it - I usually have cottage cheese or egg or tuna and mayo.

You might also try almond milk, which I prefer in hot beverages to rice milk.

Trader Joe's has a rice-milk based milk chocolate that's not bad, but other than that, it's pretty much all dark chocolate. It can be an aquired taste if you don't like it already, but dark chocolate is dairy-free (and usually gluten-free, but you'll want to check both, of course).

Most soy yogurts don't have casein (haven't found one that does), but soy cheese certainly does. :-( (Two brands don't appear to - I've heard the Follow Your Heart is fairly good, but I haven't tried it yet.)

I think eliminating dairy was harder than gluten (I don't miss bread nearly as much I miss cheese), but you work around it. Eggs are dairy free, of course, so you don't have to give those up. Mayo is usually Gluten-free Casein-free as well (it's oil and eggs), so you can still have tuna and mayo. (If you can't stand mayo, like me, you can use mashed avocado too. With salsa even. Tasty!) Tofutti and a couple other companies (like Trader Joe's) make a soy-based, CF sour cream and cream cheese, but it's an aquired taste as well. You can even find "raw" ranch dip/dressing recipes if you google the term. (Made with raw cashews, water, salt and spices.) I also find that bean dips (black bean dip, hummus, etc.) is a reasonable substitute for cheese on my crackers, being hearty and filling. Other than that, for me, it's sticking with natural Gluten-free Casein-free things like meat/vegetables/fruit/gluten-free grains/nuts/beans.

Unfortunately, CF does eliminate a few more prepackaged foods (like Nut Thins, and many others), so do make sure to review the list of other terms for dairy ingredients.

Matilda Enthusiast

eeyor-fan Contributor
Hi guys,

I have noticed the last week every time I have milk or yoghurt I feel really nauseous but even more strange - my heartbeat goes crazy - really fast. The nausea is bad especially after quite a lot of milk e.g. in cereal.

I have been tested for dairy before and it came back negative. Are these normal symptoms of dairy intolerance or could it be something else?

I can manage without gluten but dairy? OMG - not so sure ..... :P

Yvonne

I'm talking to my GI about the same problems on Monday when I see him. Did not think I had a problem with Dairy until I went gluten-free. Now everytime I have dairy I get the worse stomach aches and even a body cream with Milk in it gave me a rash. This is so unfair! I love cheese, milk, cream! AHHHHHHHHHHH.

Hugs

Bridget

Bonnie Explorer

Thanks everyone for the advice! Jen, thanks for taking the time to type all that! Very helpful.

Tiffany I can't get Trader Joes here but thanks for all the info.

I never thought of dark chocolate - will need to do some serious investigating! I am so stupid - I thought mayo had dairy in it! :blink:

Bridget, please let me know what your GI says - I would be very interested!

Hummus is a good idea - I quite like that. I do find that beans and legumes bloat me terribly which is a pity because I love them, especially lentils.

It seems very daunting but you get used to anything I suppose. Just need to put some thought into it.

Hopefully this dairy problem is just temporary! Well a person's got to have hope! :P

Thanks again guys.

Yvonne

key Contributor

I don't eat meat, so giving up dairy seems pretty depressing. Along with the gluten that is. Anyway, I am curious as to if dairy could cause bone pain. My legs ache alot. Of course alot of it seems to be fatigue. Just wondering. I don't get GI symptoms from eating dairy.

Thanks,

Monica

jenvan Collaborator

Yvonne-

Most mustards are dairy free too. ie. French's

Archived