18 replies to this topic

#1 kerri124

kerri124

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 02:40 PM

My favorite salad dressing has hydrolyzed soy protein in it and I am not sure if the is gluten-free or not. I know that hydrolyzed vegetable protein and hydrolyzed plant protein are NOT gluten-free but I can't seem to find out anything about the soy protein.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lauradawn

lauradawn

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 11:20 AM

As far as I know the soy is fine.

#3 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 09:17 PM

I have always been told to avoid hydrolyzed soy, so I do.

#4 kejohe

kejohe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 08:46 AM

I have always been steered away from all the Hydrolyzed rpotiens because I was told they were not gluten-free.

Just curious... what is the dressing? I only ask because the soy protien is generally used as an emulsifyer, to hold the oil and liquid together. If that's the case with your dressing, I can probably help you come up with a "make it yourself" dressing that's very similar, using other emulsifyers. If its already a dressing you make at home, you can substitute the soy protien with dijon mustard, also egg yolk or whole egg (the vinegar in dressing cooks the egg so don't worry about it being raw) and also mayonaise, or lecithin (comes granulated and is egg protien).

Hope this helps a little. :D
Kathleen
Son has been gluten-free since December 2001

#5 jen-schall

jen-schall

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 06:15 PM

Hydrolyzed soy protein is supposed to be fine; it's when it's hydrolyzed vegetable protein that there is gluten. if there is a 1-800 number on the bottle, call the company and ask. good luck!
xo Jen

when I look around, I think this,
this is good enough
and I try to laugh at whatever life brings
because when I look down,
I just miss all the good stuff
and when I look up,
I just trip over things

#6 kejohe

kejohe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 09:05 PM

Just FYI, I was looking at soup bases today, and I picked up a product that specifically stated in the ingredients Hydrolyzed soy protien (wheat gluten) and was listed as the same ingredient. I don't know if this is all the time... but if it's in one product, its probably in others.
Kathleen

#7 kerri124

kerri124

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 09:30 AM

Thanks guys for all the replies. I guess I will stay away from it then. I am looking for a good Italian dressing. Does anyone know any that are gluten-free or Kathleen you got any good recipes?? I really appreciate the help!

#8 kejohe

kejohe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 10:48 AM

Here is a good and universal vinaigrette recipe. You can change the flavor by adding other ingredients or changing the type of vinigar you use or the flavor of the oil. Use roasted garlic or shallots rather than fresh, add purees like roasted red pepper or artichoke, use lemon juicein place of all the vinegar, or orange or lime juice. Add other spices as well, such as chipotle, ground bay leaf, thyme, oregano, etc.

For vinaigrette:
shallot, grated
1 2 cloves garlic, grated
1 tsp dried herbs of your choice OR
1 tbs fresh herbs of your choice
(tarragon, basil, chives, lemon dill, or an Italian mixture are all good choices)
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tbs good quality red or white wine vinegar
1 tsp lemon juice
3 4 tbs olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste

Whisk together all ingredients except olive oil in a small bowl. While whisking constantly, drizzle in olive oil until combined. Taste for seasoning.

Hope this helps a bit.
Kathleen

#9 kerri124

kerri124

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 12:12 PM

Thanks Kathleen. It sounds great. Can't wait to try it out!!

#10 Guest_JEN_*

Guest_JEN_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2004 - 05:18 AM

Hydorilyzed soy protein is in a lot of the "authorized/safe foods" list? I am so confused.

#11 Thomas

Thomas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 08:24 AM

If your looking for Italian dressing, and don't have the time/or want to make your own another option is Kraft Also, a few of Paul Newman's products are gluten-free. You could email him, or go on his website to find out. Good luck.

#12 lauradawn

lauradawn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 07:28 PM

Kathleen,
Just curious....what product did you find that had the listing? Everything I Have ever found shows that it is a safe food. Now Im really confused. I wonder if it's just one of those things that will always have to be verified from the manufacturer.

#13 kejohe

kejohe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 09:03 AM

The product is called Minor's, its a stock/broth concentrate in the form of a paste. It's used a lot in the restaurant industry, so up here it's difficult to find in small quantities, but recently I found it in a one pound tub, and I checked the ingredients... sure enough it lists the hydrolyzed soy protien together with wheat gluten in parenthesese.

Again I'm not saying all product with soy protien are also going to have wheat gluten, I'm just saying be careful. It's never a bad idea to double check with a manufacturer, if only for peace of mind. And like I mentioned above... if it's in one product, it may be in others. At least this product clearly stated the gluten on the label.
Kathleen

#14 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 02:17 PM

Was a bit curious about this and a quick search found a page that shows which Minor's products ARE gluten-free.
(i get the feeling this info was added recently)

http://www.allserv.com/nutritio.htm

A few lines down it says:
NOTE: Gluten Free items in the table below are on a light green background.
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#15 ms_sillyak_screwed

ms_sillyak_screwed

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 05:54 PM

SOY IS POISON < this link will explain why.

Yesterday a doc (I trust) confirmed it for me. But read this and judge for yourself. I wish someone told me this 5 years ago before this happened to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: