This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How About Chicago?

debi4956

debi4956 Rookie

Hi..I am the proud Mom of a very newly diagnosed 17 year old with celiac..I have adopted the diet so that Brit doesn't have to worry about what she eats while at home. Our home is all gluten-free. I have researched and researched and feel that we have made great progress. She is even feeling better and that is the best part of it all. I was wondering if there was anyone with a older teen in our area. We live in Lisle in the western suburbs. My concern lies ahead with college next year. I have contacted a few of her choices and I am waiting to see if they offer special food services to our "special" kids..thanks for any advice! DEB

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenvan Collaborator

Deb-

Have you ever looked into local support groups in your area? I can help you track some down if you are interested...

Guest Obedientmuse

Is there a connection to hayfever reaction (runny nose/eyes, itchy throat, respitory issues etc.) to gluten intolerance? If so can someone point me in that direction?

I'm still doing research to see if this is what has gone on with me. I went through the cadida issues, not such a great fit although I lived by the diet for years.

Thanks, Arizona

Zoeysfat Rookie

Deb,

I live in Oak Park, the closest group meeting place I know of is in Arlington Heights. Bit of a hike. I was really surprised to find there wasn't one actually in Chicago, or perhaps I just haven't found it yet. I think we would all love it if there was a support group in our home town, sometimes I just need to talk, I am sure you do too. I don't have kids, so I am afraid I can't be much help on that end, but if you want me to track down the support group in Arlington, just let me know :)

Denice

debi4956 Rookie
Deb-

Have you ever looked into local support groups in your area? I can help you track some down if you are interested...

yes..thanks..I know they have one every third Thursday at Whole Foods..Unfortunetly I haven't been able to make one yet..Although, we just found out last month and this months and next are on days I can't make it...I know it will be great for us when I can get there! :D

Deb,

I live in Oak Park, the closest group meeting place I know of is in Arlington Heights. Bit of a hike. I was really surprised to find there wasn't one actually in Chicago, or perhaps I just haven't found it yet. I think we would all love it if there was a support group in our home town, sometimes I just need to talk, I am sure you do too. I don't have kids, so I am afraid I can't be much help on that end, but if you want me to track down the support group in Arlington, just let me know :)

Denice

Hi Denice,

Yes..Arlington Heights would be ok..Maybe it would be on another day than the one out here at Whole Foods..Arlington Heights is sort of far but, it could give me an excuse to stop at Woodfield on the way..haha! If you have any info on the meeting I'd love it..Thanks!

Zoeysfat Rookie
yes..thanks..I know they have one every third Thursday at Whole Foods..Unfortunetly I haven't been able to make one yet..Although, we just found out last month and this months and next are on days I can't make it...I know it will be great for us when I can get there! :D

Hi Denice,

Yes..Arlington Heights would be ok..Maybe it would be on another day than the one out here at Whole Foods..Arlington Heights is sort of far but, it could give me an excuse to stop at Woodfield on the way..haha! If you have any info on the meeting I'd love it..Thanks!

Which whole foods? What town?

Denice

debi4956 Rookie
Which whole foods? What town?

Denice

Hi Denice,

I live in Lisle and the Whole Foods is in Wheaton..Sorry!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kitkat Newbie

Hello,

I am moving to Lakewood (nr. algonquin) next week, from London, and have just found this site. I was wondering if you knew more about the support group in Arlington Heights? Would love to meet up with some people in the area. I actually haven't been successful on the gluten free diet alone so now I am doing the specific carbohydrate diet.

Thanks!!

KC

Zoeysfat Rookie
Hello,

I am moving to Lakewood (nr. algonquin) next week, from London, and have just found this site. I was wondering if you knew more about the support group in Arlington Heights? Would love to meet up with some people in the area. I actually haven't been successful on the gluten free diet alone so now I am doing the specific carbohydrate diet.

Thanks!!

KC

Thanks for the whole foods info, yeah that is a bit far for me, but it makes me think that if there is a group there, maybe there are others.

KC - not really sure how I found out about the group in AH, I have been to sooooooooo many sites, and when I saw they were in AH I kind of just wrote them off. Try google perhaps, sorry I couldn't be more help

• 1 month later...
princessfuzzball Rookie

I live in River Grove... I'd love to get together and meet with others!

• 3 months later...
Alvina214 Newbie

Hello From Rockford IL, about a hr or so west of Chicago.

Just curious about places you might go...out to eat, that are easier to order from.

I go to Chicago occationally...maybe a group of us could meet somewhere...central...

have lunch/dinner?

Lets start talking about a place we can all find, agree on, and a good date?

I'm still working on getting my profile completed...busy alot currently. I am looking forward to summer and going boating...but what to pack, easy and good tasting...used to have sandwiches and pickles and chips. I guess a meat/cheese rollup, gluten-free cookies and chips will do...oh and good peanutbutter cereal for b-fast.

I'll check in here occationally.

Hope to hear more from others too!

Tracy

• 3 months later...
tanyad Rookie

Hello All,

There is a group in Chicago... its called the MetroCeliacs... We try to meet once a month with a cooking class, a potluck or easy meals, a speaker... and more... and then we also plan a Supper Club outing at Chicago restaurants once a month.

I am one of the two founders of the group. It has been a busy summer for myself as well as the other founder Jen. We are looking to have an event-filled Fall... Feel free to join us.

If you would like to see more about our group, check out our blog

Open Original Shared Link

And if you are interested in knowing more and getting on our evite list, please email Tanya and Jen at

MetroCeliacs@yahoo.com.

Hope you find some one near you! Have a great day!

Tanya

MetroCeliacs

Chicago

• 6 months later...
sandys Newbie
Thanks for the whole foods info, yeah that is a bit far for me, but it makes me think that if there is a group there, maybe there are others.

KC - not really sure how I found out about the group in AH, I have been to sooooooooo many sites, and when I saw they were in AH I kind of just wrote them off. Try google perhaps, sorry I couldn't be more help

Hi I was just looking to see who was near Chicago , I'm from the south suburbs and I was wondering if you have been to"DaLuciano" in River Grove it's listed as a gluten free restaurant. Is there anyone out there from the south? Sandy

prinsessa Contributor

I have been to DaLuciano's in River Grove. They have a really big gluten free menu. I looked around and someone was ordering from the gluten free menu at almost every table. They have a good gluten free cannoli. My DD still talks about it and we went months ago. I live in the west suburbs. It would be fun to meet up with other people with gluten intolerance that live in or around Chicago.

• 2 weeks later...
Sinenox Apprentice

While you're on the topic...

I'm going to be heading back to Glenview (near Northbrook and Northfield) in a few months to live there for a while. Are there any support groups out there?

pugluver31902 Explorer

Im in Lisle too, and I go to the whole foods meetings in Wheaton. Just wanted to say hi!

morningstargirl Rookie

Hi,

I'm Connie and I'm in Naperville. I've heard about the gluten-free meetings at Whole Foods in Wheaton; haven't gotten there myself yet either. :)

alamaz Collaborator

Hi neighbors! I live in Arlington Heights! So far I've connected with this group:

Open Original Shared Link

I've spoken with the woman whose contact email is on the site and she is really nice. She said the meetings are held in a different location each month to help make it easier on people who live in other areas. There is a $15 annual membership but they also provide you with a list of doctors other members recommend and I think maybe a newsletter and a few events through out the year.

Also, I had heard of a store in Buffalo Grove called Gluten Free something but when I went buy it was closed. I was told that the store has changed owners and moved to Northbrook and this is the website I was given: Open Original Shared Link

There is supposedly a store in Arlington Heights at the corner of Golf and Arlington Heights Roads but I haven't had time to look for it yet. I'm going to my first Whole Foods Gluten Free group this month, they have a session at the Palatine store also.

Chicago seems to have a decent selection of gluten-free restaurants also which is good news for us! I'm traveling to South Beach next month and I've found nothing except good ol' Outback which I couldn't stand before having to be gluten-free- oh well!

Amy

• 2 weeks later...
dispater628 Newbie
There is supposedly a store in Arlington Heights at the corner of Golf and Arlington Heights Roads but I haven't had time to look for it yet. I'm going to my first Whole Foods Gluten Free group this month, they have a session at the Palatine store also.

I've been to that store. It's not bad, I get a lot of the Kinnikinnick and Glutino stuff there. The owner is really nice and will talk to you if you give him half a chance. It's small but he packs a fair amount of variety into the store.

As for the Arlington Hgts support group, does anyone have any more information on it? I'd never heard of it before but I'd like to try it. I've only been gluten-free for 3 months now and I'd really like to meet people who know what it's like to be gluten-free. I get insanely irritated with my friends when they tell me that I'm being too paranoid about gluten because I refuse to share a toaster.

alamaz Collaborator

The Palatine, IL Whole Foods is having a Gluten Free Group meeting this Thursday March 29, 2007 from 7-9pm. I believe it's the first time they've tried to form this group. That Whole Foods is located at Rand Road and Dundee Road in Palatine.

The Arlington Heights support group web address is: Open Original Shared Link

Looking at their calendar they have a lot of event in Oak Brook and Oak Park and Chicago.

Amy

pnltbox27 Contributor

hey all , my name is rob im in Beach Park, which is far notheast border a few miles from Wisconsin border. its nice to know there are other celiac/ gluten free peolple out there i was starting to think i was the only one, i cant make it to palatine rd whole foods meeting this week but if some one could post some info on the next meeting that would be great.also if anyone knows of any resturants up north here that too would be great. thanks and good luck to all

dispater628 Newbie
The Palatine, IL Whole Foods is having a Gluten Free Group meeting this Thursday March 29, 2007 from 7-9pm. I believe it's the first time they've tried to form this group. That Whole Foods is located at Rand Road and Dundee Road in Palatine.

The Arlington Heights support group web address is: Open Original Shared Link

Looking at their calendar they have a lot of event in Oak Brook and Oak Park and Chicago.

Amy

Thanks Amy!

pnltbox27, there is a restaurant called Biaggi's in Deerpark. I don't know how close that is to you but it has a glutten free menu which includes gluten-free pasta!!!! (and it tastes pretty good too). I've been to this Biaggi's as well as the Biaggi's in Madison WI several times and I've never gotten sick. Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...
Rusie Newbie

There is a store in Morton Grove called "The Art of Eating Well" (www.artofeatingwell.com)on the northeast corner of Harlem and Dempster. It's small but packs a lot of stuff, including four freezers of frozen goods.

sixtytwo Apprentice

I have eaten at DaLuciano's and it was very good, although pricey. We are all from Wisconsin, but my granddaughter always wants to eat there when their family flies in and out of O'Hare. She is 8. She insisted that I should stop there when I was having a trip to the Chicago area recently. It wasn't easy to find, but it was interesting and the people that own it are a delight. They told me they are going to be starting a mail order operation soon, and operate it out of the upstairs of their store front. I expected it to be a huge restaurant and was suprised to find it quite small and quaint. Several of their children have celiac disease and that is how they got started cooking gluten-free.

Barbara

• 2 months later...
dizzynik242 Newbie

I am a newly diagnosed celiac from Naperville. Just looking for others in this area. I'm 23 years old.

Archived