10 replies to this topic

#1 oreyes

oreyes

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 01:02 PM

Recently I heard a discussion on television about eating a gluten free, wheat free diet and this individual said she ate Ezekiel bread. After finding it at the health food store, I noticed the two principle ingredients are "sprouted" wheat and barley. Are these ingredients gluten free and can they be eaten by someone that has celiac? (I've not found anything on the internet about either.) The bread that's available is terrible and I'd love a sandwich or hamburger-- that I've done without for the past three years. If anyone knows about sprouted wheat or barley, I would certainly appreciate a reply. Thank you so much............Judy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 01:59 PM

Judy,

Have a look at the second question in this column. The same would apply to barley, as well. I haven't tried Ezekiel bread in a while, but I remember that I used to have some problems with it. I hope this information is useful!
Sarah
gluten-free since November 1, 2003

#3 oreyes

oreyes

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 04:47 PM

Sarah :D

Thanks so much for your reply and the information on that site. I've not seen that one and found it quite interesting. Having been diagnosed three years ago, I've really not investigated things as I should. With this new forum I think I'll be on the computer much more and find more answers. Thanks again..........Judy

#4 seeking_wholeness

seeking_wholeness

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 08:00 PM

You're welcome, Judy! And if you're like me, you'll never get off the computer.... I just found out I have celiac disease not too long ago (self-diagnosed), and now that I've discovered that I'm not alone I'm craving community interaction! I'm sure I'll settle down to a *reasonable* amount of daily time online sometime...soon...maybe! Good luck to you!
Sarah
gluten-free since November 1, 2003

#5 Guest_shar4_*

Guest_shar4_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2004 - 04:32 PM

HA HA HA HEE HEE HEE I have to laugh because I too, have become a computer junkie, checking here as often as I can to see what new anyone has posted. I have become depeendent on the info that you have to offer.

As always. thanks a bunch for the support.

Sharon :D

#6 wclemens

wclemens

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 11:51 PM

Hi, I tried Ezekiel Bread, and I had a horrible Asthma attack after eating it. My Celiac symptoms usually present as wheezing, choking, and gasping for breath, and believe me, I did all those after eating sprouted wheat. I would say that the results were just the same as ingesting wheat or another grain. Welda

#7 emaegf

emaegf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:15 PM

Ezekiel bread is NOT gluten free. Sprouting the grains does NOT get rid of the gluten in the grains. As to date there has been no way found to totally remove the gluten form the offending grains. Be cautious when you hear someone say things like "this process makes the grain gluten free or changes it to a form Celiacs can eat" etc. Most of these people are not informed properly about our diets.

#8 behealthy

behealthy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:45 AM

Recently I heard a discussion on television about eating a gluten free, wheat free diet and this individual said she ate Ezekiel bread. After finding it at the health food store, I noticed the two principle ingredients are "sprouted" wheat and barley. Are these ingredients gluten free and can they be eaten by someone that has celiac? (I've not found anything on the internet about either.) The bread that's available is terrible and I'd love a sandwich or hamburger-- that I've done without for the past three years. If anyone knows about sprouted wheat or barley, I would certainly appreciate a reply. Thank you so much............Judy

I too wondered this when first going gluten free as I heard similar comments. My uncle is very sensitive to gluten, as well as other foods, yet he can eat Ezekiel bread with no symptoms. I had some early on after I went gluten free and had no ill effects. As we know, some people don't have symptoms yet have celiac. So just because you don't have the symptoms doesn't mean it's not creating havoc to your small intestine. I stay away from it now.

Good question. I think most people wonder that as we get so desperate for a good piece of bread... :unsure:

Good luck.

#9 lebong

lebong

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:42 AM

I'm new to the gluten-free world. My question regarding Ezekiel bread is how much gluten does it have compared to typical bread made with wheat flour? Is there a difference in the amount of gluten? Thanks in advance.

#10 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,540 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:52 AM

I'm new to the gluten-free world. My question regarding Ezekiel bread is how much gluten does it have compared to typical bread made with wheat flour? Is there a difference in the amount of gluten? Thanks in advance.

THis thread is several years old so product info may have changed.

I don't think there are any Ezekiel breads that claim to be gluten free. I haven't heard of them anyway. For Celiac, it really doesn't matter if the bread has less gluten then another bread. We can't have any gluten.

You could try to write to the company to find out if they know that info.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

#11 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,336 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

Are these ingredients gluten free and can they be eaten by someone that has celiac?

No. Absolutely not. Wheat, barley--sprouted or otherwise. Nope.
Tastes like cardboard anyway. blech. :P

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: