Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Weight Gain After Becoming Gf

13 posts in this topic

Greetings All,

I lost 42# before being diagnosed this past January w/celiac. I feel great on the gluten-free diet, but I've gained 10# and seem to be on a steady increase. I was pretty heavy into rice products up until the last 2 wks when I put together my hypoglycemic events and the high glycemic index of rice (especially instant), but have still managed to inch upward on the scale.

Is this type of weight gain common after becoming gluten-free? I expected a few pounds to return but I do not want to balloon up. My abdomen is quite bloated and distended (poisoned by the restaurant's "baked" fish last week) but that doesn't neccessarily equate to a weight increase.

Yes, I've begun exercising (for the first time in years) and am slowly coming to the realization I need to stop buying tortilla chips, but in general, is this the way it's going to be? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tammy

Ads by Google:

Hey Tammy,

Good news. The gluten free diet is one of the healthiest diets out there. If you are eating a well rounded diet, lots of fresh veggies, fruit, meat, eggs (lots of eggs!) ect. you should be a bombshell in no time. I am a health nut and typically work out 3-4 times a week. You might want to try some light weight training (consult a personal trainer when first getting started). When you use weights your body burns calories 24 hours a day, even when you sleep. Also, it is good to throw in a little cardiovascular if possible. An arobics machine, fast walk, or jog will work. The key to losing weight is consistency. You will never dump weight (aside form gluten reactions "these are bad") in a couple weeks. It will take a steady program for at least 4-6 months. I find that the biggest problem with people that want to lose weight is consistency and determination. Working out and losing weight is all about being consistent and establishing a repetitve program. You don't have to kill yourself! Even light cardio for 30-45 minutes 4-5x a week will produce results. (consistency) :D

Have a good one,

Terence

Take a lesson from me. Before going gluten-free I ate everything in sight and never gained. In fact, I was on the lower end of the ideal weight range for me. When I got really sick I quickly lost 20. After going gluten-free I kept eating large amounts and not exercising. I gained back the 20 and another 50!! I now watch portions, do weights 2-3 times a week and fast walking mixed with slow running almost every day. I've lost 28 pounds in three months and am aiming to lose 12 more.

good luck

Tammy,

I am suffering from the same thing!! I am gaining weight like crazy!! I was always underweight before diagnosis and I can't stop eating thus gaining like crazy!! I also find my abdomen is always quite swollen even if I haven't cheated!! I feel like I'm losing control!!! <_<

;):blink::rolleyes: Hi Smith, I know this post is over a month old and maybe you already found your answer, but I was thinking dairy might do it. I know I have to avoid dairy at all costs. Are you lactose intolerant? Just a thought. Cybergran10

So glad I found this forum. I had lost down to 93 lbs. by the time I received my final diagnosis of celiac. I am 5'3" and 67 years old, so that wasn't good. I, too, used to eat large amounts of food and not gain. Now I've been gluten-free a month and I seem to want to eat all the time, especially rice cakes (used to eat lots of bread & bagels before). I've gain 4 lbs in this one month period. So as mentioned ina previous reply, I'm going to stick to meat, fish, eggs, fruit & veggies & occasionally ice cream. Oh, I do eat cheese and yougert.

Helen

Nashville TN

I do not know if this is true, but I've heard that alot of the gluten-free cake/bread products can cause you to gain weight faster then "normal" carbohydrates do, and at least in my case that was true. Back at home we were always getting Rice bread, or making other gluten-free breads/treats and I was not gaining healthily. I'd be interested to hear what others have to say on that, because like I said, I'm not sure if I'm getting that straight. I've just come to the conclusion that I'll enjoy those gluten-free pastas and cakes on occasion, but for the most part I'm just going to stick to meats, vegetables and fruits. Oh, just a quick sidenote: I work out almost daily for an hour and play flag football, so it wasn't as if the food was being taken in and I wasn't exercising at all. I've found that exercise not only helps me stay in shape but it makes me feel soooo much better when combined with a gluten-free diet :)

I'm relieved to hear that others have had problems with weight gain. It is hard to go from eating everything in sight and not gaining weight to reducing your intake and still gaining. I'll try all of your suggestions.

It is also comforting to me that others have had problems with weight gain on the gluten-free diet. I guess the diarrhea was helping keep my weight down. Now that I eat gluten-free, I have put on 20 lbs the past 2 years. My clothes are uncomfortable, etc. I do exercise at least 3 times per week (walking, weights, aerobics). I guess I eat too much of what I CAN have, but it is so difficult to be strong and do without gluten foods, that I'm not sure I have the willpower to also cut out gluten-free foods. ;)

I have put weight on also, but after going gluten-free I find I'm hungry all the time! I don't remember ever feeling this way before. The hunger pains are too hard to ignore, so I eat more often. I try to eat healthy, but I think I may need to exercise more often. I thought that I was the only one who put the pounds on after going gluten-free. I have read about so many people who were losing weight. I'm just not feeling motivated to lose yet. The doctor actually said I shouldn't begin to diet yet, he said I was on my way to getting healthy.

chuot

Hi all,

I know this post is old, but I was glad to see that I am not the only one gaining like mad. I was diagnosed and went gluten-free 2 1/2 months ago and am gaining weight like mad (20 lbs since then) I have tried to cut down, but like you said I am hungry all the time all I want is Tostedos LOL. I try to eat a lot of fruit and salads, but the weight keeps coming on and my belly is really bloated. Oh well, guess I will have to exercise more too and try to cut down. Thanks all you made me feel better and not alone.

Sheryl

fruits and veggies (particularly salad veggies) can sometimes cause gas - which could make you bloated. you might want to see if watching your consumption levels (or changing the particular foods you're having) helps that.