This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help With A Grocery List Please

patricia

patricia Newbie

hello.

i'm so happy to have found this resource!

i am eliminating gluten and dairy from my life,

and would love to hear what you are existing on!

what is a typical day's menu for you?

thanks very much.

patricia in pittsburgh

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rusla Enthusiast

Well I am a big salad person, so lots of times I have salad and fruit. I also make pesto lasagne with rice noodles. I am big on chicken or shrimp stir frys with either white or wild rice. I love chili and make vegetable or chicken chili. I also make tacos and enchiladas with the corn tortillas, refried beans and my own enchilada sauce. If I want a sandwich I have gluten-free bread in the freezer and I make a sandwich. I also make gluten-free pizza etc. So, really there is lots to eat. I also have numerous gluten-free and vegetarian cook books as I am not that big of a meat person. I love tofu and it is great in stir frys, lasagne or smoothies.

Because of my casein and dairy thing I use goat cheese and goat feta..just love the stuff.

I also make soups.

dlp252 Apprentice

I make meats, vegetables and fruit the mainstay of my diet right now, then add in some extras. I plan to eliminate dairy from my diet as well, but haven't as of yet. My allergist thought I should eliminate one thing at a time to see how each affects my allergies/sinuses.

I found a brand of rice (only ingredient is 100% stone ground brown rice) pasta that I really love called Tinkyada(sp??). Penne is my favorite of the types, so sometimes I'll have that with a little homemade meat sauce.

Potatoes, Yams, rice, vegetables, fruits are all really great.

My menus lately haven't been very typical because I've gone absolutely crazy for some of the gluten-free bakery items from my local Whole Foods. I've been on a low carb diet for a while, so these foods taste REALLY good to me right now, lol. But, for instance, this morning I had a gluten-free blueberry muffin, and a gluten-free chocolate chip cookie (I know, I know) with some hot tea. For lunch I'll have some ground beef with a vegetable. My employer is ordering lunch for us today, so they ordered me a ceasar salad to which I'll add my own meat. Dinner is meat, vegetables and some brown rice. For a snack after that I'll have an apple with some hazelnut butter.

I eat different things on different days, but it basically follows the meat, veggie, fruit base.

jenvan Collaborator

Hi there! In case you don't have these safe/forbidden ingredients lists they are a big help when shopping: https://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid=12

Let's see--what I eat on a typical day:

Breakfast: gluten-free cereal with rice milk

Snack: apple with natural peanut butter or natural honey

Lunch: salad with lots of veggies, smoked ham, sometimes beans

Snack: gluten-free cookie or natural fruit leather, gluten-free tortillas (lundberg chips)

Dinner: piece of meat, steamed veggies, fruit salad or seasoned rice; frittata w/natural sausage, cheese, veggies; gluten-free spaghetti w/sauce, sauteed veggies; homemade soup w/gluten-free breadsticks (chebe)

Dessert: cookie, sorbet, something like that...

hope that helps :) i know its a bit vague.

patricia Newbie

thank you VERY much!

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Open Original Shared Link

sandwiches -any you can think of-bread from Kinnikinnick

donuts-from kinnikinnick

pizza-with crusts from kinnikinnick

tacos-old el paso taco sauce in a jar is my favorite

tinkyada pastas-best brand out there... stuffed shells are fab.

steak-any and stews

chicken-any and soups

tuna-all canned

french fries-ore-ida

Oscar mayer hotdogs-bush's baked beans are gluten-free

chips-tons of varieties

popcorn

eggs-prepare however

meat-whatever you can think of

salad-unlimited varieties

fruit-unlimited

Post fruity and cocoa pebbles are gluten free

Classico Alfredo sauces-gluten-free

Nuts

Lays stax chips

corn chips

cheese doodles

chili

Pamela's pancake mix

Chebe is gluten and dairy free

www.chebe.com

StrongerToday Enthusiast

I do lots of stir fry... (do you have a rice cooker? Best $20 I've spent!). Check out Bette Hagman cookbooks - love the Cashew Ginger Salmon and Wild Rice salad. One of my favorite/fast dinner side items are McCain Smiley Fries... so tasty and fun. Just found some great Rice Snaps - a sweet/salty lo-cal rice cracker/cookie. I usually have toasted rice bread with almond butter for breakfast - but other than that I've not had a lot of sandwiches. I roast a lot of chicken and turkey and make chicken or turkey salad - just w/ mayo, celery, maybe some dried cranberries - it's good to throw cashews in right before you eat it too!

Rusla - does the goats milk products do better by you? I'm also trying to work around lactose/casein - not sure which and I *so* miss dairy :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mightymorg Rookie

Right now gluten free cereal, bananas, baked potatoes and steamed veggies are the staple of my diet! Easy, cheap, good for you...except I have a problem with carrots, as I notice they go through (like many things) undigested. So lots of squash for me!

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Because of my casein and dairy thing I use goat cheese and goat feta..just love the stuff.

Is goat cheese casein free?

Rusla Enthusiast
I do lots of stir fry... (do you have a rice cooker? Best $20 I've spent!). Check out Bette Hagman cookbooks - love the Cashew Ginger Salmon and Wild Rice salad. One of my favorite/fast dinner side items are McCain Smiley Fries... so tasty and fun. Just found some great Rice Snaps - a sweet/salty lo-cal rice cracker/cookie. I usually have toasted rice bread with almond butter for breakfast - but other than that I've not had a lot of sandwiches. I roast a lot of chicken and turkey and make chicken or turkey salad - just w/ mayo, celery, maybe some dried cranberries - it's good to throw cashews in right before you eat it too!

Rusla - does the goats milk products do better by you? I'm also trying to work around lactose/casein - not sure which and I *so* miss dairy :(

I do not go through the famous "cheese bowels of pain" what I call it with goat cheese. Now make sure when buying goat cheest that it has no whey, milk products or casein in them. Some goat feta and soft goat cheeses do. I prefer the goat cheddar, sheep cheese isn't bad either. I do not suffer at all with goat or sheep cheese but I sure do if there is casein and dairy in anything. Sometimes I can find flavoured goat cheeses like herb and garlic but not for a long time.

You have to ask or read the ingredients some are and some aren't the soft ones in tubes and some goat feta's aren't.

tarnalberry Community Regular
hello.

i'm so happy to have found this resource!

i am eliminating gluten and dairy from my life,

and would love to hear what you are existing on!

what is a typical day's menu for you?

thanks very much.

patricia in pittsburgh

depends on the season. at the moment, it's:

breakfast: eggs or rice cakes with peanut butter or gluten-free cereal with soy milk or pancakes with fruit jam

lunch: leftovers from dinner or bean salad or tuna tacos and fruit and raw veggies

dinner: chicken/shrimp/pork stir fries or chili (vegetarian or w/ turkey) or roast chicken and vegetables or grilled steak and vegetables or beef stew or shrimp fried rice or chicken-rice soup or carrot and sweet potato soup or sauteed veggies or sweet potato fries or salad or raw veggies with dip or buckwheat pilaf

snacks/dessert: fruit or nuts or hot coco or homemade ice cream or baked apples or frozen chocolate pie

No, goat cheese is not casein free. Mammalian dairy (the only kind) always has casein - it is one of the things that makes it milk. There are different types of casein however (small molecular differences), and goat's milk contains a different proportion of the casein proteins that some people find does not bother them as much as cow's milk.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Here is a list of some of my favorite recipes :) Enjoy!

Blueberry Smoothie

1 1/4 cup frozen blueberries

1 ½ cups Vanilla So Good Soy milk

2 tablespoons honey

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Tuna/Chicken/Turkey Salad Sandwiches

Italian white Kinnikinick bread (I get this at Sobeys), toasted OR Old El Paso corn tacos

2-3 tablespoons mayonnaise (Kraft with clearly indicate gluten in their ingredient lists)

1 can tuna or chicken/turkey equivalent

2-3 celery sticks, diced

4-5 green onions, diced

1 red pepper, diced

If you use corn tacos, they taste really good after they’ve been made and then put in the fridge for awhile and then heated.

Spaghetti

Tinkyada pasta (Sobeys or Super Store)

1 bottle Ragu Spaghetti sauce (all are safe, but I recommend herbed tomato and wine)

Hamburger

1 Green and Red pepper, diced

1 Onion, diced

4-5 Mushrooms, diced

1 clove garlic, minced

Cook pasta as directed, cook meat/onions and garlic together until done, slowly add other veggies and mushrooms, then add the sauce.

Pizza

Kinnikinick Pizza crusts (Sobeys)

Hamburger, cooked

Ragu Spaghetti sauce or check the Kraft pizza sauces (Kraft will always indicate gluten)

your choice of toppings

Bake in oven at about 400 for 10-15 minutes. I recommend putting some oil on the pan to avoid sticking.

Stuffing

* 4 shallots, minced

* 2 onions, diced

* 5 celery ribs, diced

* 5 carrots, diced

* 2-3 TB butter (I use soybean butter)

* 2 tbl dry sage

* 2 tbl dry thyme

* 2 tbl dry summer savory

* dash of pepper

* 1 cup white wine

* 1 loaf gluten-free bread, cubed (I use Kinnikinnick Italian white tapioca, thawed)

* 1 cup gluten-free chicken stock (I use 1 cup of Imagine chicken broth, or 2

cubes of McCormick chicken bouillon and 1 cup of water).

Sauté the vegetables in the butter until they are soft, and the onions begin to carmelize. Add the seasonings and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add the white wine, and continue cooking over medium heat until the liquid is reduced by half. In a large bowl, mix the sautéed vegetables with the bread cubes, chicken stock, and parsley. Transfer to a baking dish and bake for 20 minutes at 325̊ F.

Variations:

Add finely diced sausage or bacon bits to the sauté, or toss in diced chestnuts, apples, or raisins. For cornbread stuffing, try adding dried cranberries or toasted pecans.

Pad Thai Stir Fry

Original Pad Thai Stir Fry Rice Noodle meal Kit (I get this Kit at Sobeys and just modify the instruction for cooking) I use green onions red pepper, bean sprouts, and eggs.

Regular Stir fry

Use the same sauce as the chinese stir fry below and half the ingredients (omit the wine)

1 bag green giant frozen veggies

rice

Cook the veggies, add sauce to the veggies while cooking, serve over rice

Chinese Stirfry

2-3 tablespoons olive oil

2-3 cups of white rice

You can add cooked bite size chicken or beef to this if you're feeling adventurous

Veggies:

1 medium Nappa cabbage, cut up into bite size pieces

1 large red pepper (or 2 small), cut up into very small portions

5-7 green onions (depending on how much you like them), sliced thin

2 cups Chinese bean sprouts

1 small can water chestnuts

Sauce: (you can half the ingredients if you don't like lots of sauce)

2 cups water (depending on how much sauce you like)

2 McCormick all-vegetable Bouillon (vegetable, chicken, or beef)

2 tablespoons of VH soy sauce

2 tablespoons of corn starch (add more if you want it thicker)

2 tablespoons white sugar

2 tablespoons white wine (optional, just adds flavour)

You will need a large stir fry pan, skillet, or pot.

- Cook rice while preparing stirfry

- Place olive oil in pot and cook red pepper for about 5 minutes over medium heat.

- Place nappa in with oil and pepper and cook 5 minutes over medium heat. Be careful it doesn't burn.

- Add the rest of veggies and all the ingredients for the sauce, add the liquids first and then the dry ingredients.

- cover and cook on low heat for about 15 minutes or until all veggies are done. stir often to avoid burning.

Serve Over Rice and Enjoy!

Chili

2 cans Heinz beans in tomato sauce

2 cans Heinz Chili style Kidney beans

1 can Hunts-Wesson tomato sauce

1 can tomatoes

1 small Imagine Tomato soup (if you can’t find this, just add extra tomato sauce)

Extra lean hamburger

your choice of veggies (green/red pepper, green/yellow onion, corn)

Chili powder, McCormick or Club house (add as much as you want)

Cook hamburger and veggies until done. Add everything in a big pot and heat.

Tacos

Old El Paso Corn Tacos

Old El Paso Salsa

Old El Paso Taco seasoning

Your choice of veggies (lettuce, tomatoes, onions, peppers)

Hamburger

Cook hamburger and seasoning according to package directions. Then make the tacos! These also taste great the next day.

Pepper Steak Open Original Shared Link

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 pound sirloin tips, cut in serving-size pieces

* 2 tablespoons oil

* 1/4 cup chopped onion

* 1 clove garlic, halved

* 1 teaspoon salt

* dash pepper

* 1 cup beef broth

* 1 can (14.5 ounces) stewed tomatoes

* 1 large green bell pepper, sliced in rings

* 2 tablespoons cornstarch

* 1/4 cup cold water

* 2 tablespoons soy sauce

PREPARATION:

Directions for pepper steak.

Heat oil in a skillet over medium low heat. Brown meat for about 15 minutes; add onion and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Add beef broth to the meat. Cover and simmer over low heat until meat is tender, about 25 minutes.

Add tomatoes and green pepper; cook 10 minutes longer. Combine remaining ingredients; stir into the meat mixture. Bring to a boil; cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes longer. Remove garlic. Serve with hot cooked noodles or rice.

Pepper steak recipe serves 4.

patricia Newbie

wow!

great ideas and recipes!

thank you so very much!

Archived