This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Does Anyone Else Get Unnaturally Excited...

Lauren M

Lauren M Explorer

Today I was shopping in (of all places) TJ Maxx's home section when something caught my eye: Jelly Belly candy corn - which I had heard was the only gluten-free candy corn, but I had never been able to find it. You would have thought I won the lottery. I was snatching it up like no tomorrow, nevermind the fact that it was probably leftover from Halloween. I get so excited when there is food that I can actually eat.

I thought other Celiacs would appreciate this. Everyone else at the store probably thought I was crazy though...

- Lauren

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Viola
:lol::lol: You should have seen me when I found Black Licorice Bears with Gluten Free right on the Box. :lol: I think I embarrased my hubby.
Guest nini

When I found candy canes at Whole Foods that said gluten free right on the box, I actually jumped up and down right in the aisle!

kabowman Explorer

Every time I go the local health food store and he has expanded his allergic to all foods section (which includes gluten), I just go crazy and then call my husband on my way out to tell him my finds!!!!! It is soooo exciting...other people just don't get it.

elonwy Enthusiast

I turned to a complete stranger in a grocery store aisle once and exclaimed "I can eat this!" She scurried away like I was going to beat her with it. I think it was Nestle Hot Cocoa ( Which says 100% gluten-free right on the box).

I have also been known to dance and sing in the grocery store. Hey as long am I'm happy and no one is getting hurt.

Elonwy

CaliGirl Newbie

I went to a health food store before before Thanksgiving, and I was hunting around, trying to find some gluten free desert I could eat while everyone else ate their "wheaty goodness" as my husband says. I asked a clerk, and she pointed me to the front of the store. Since it was before Thanksgiving, there were all kinds of samples and displays out, but of course I ignored all the food. It turns out....

...there was an entire table full of fresh-baked gluten free products!!! Just ready to be snacked on!!! I couldn't believe it. I kept asking the baker, is this REALLY gluten free? all of it? no wheat? It was wonderful. I bought all kinds of stuff, just out of the sheer joy of it.

I'm still happy, just thinking about it!

Rusla Enthusiast

I am glad I am not the only one who acts like a nut when I find gluten-free things. I get all excited and jump up and down.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

I certainly get excited, but I refuse to call it unnaturally. :-P :-D

hehehe... :-)

traveljunkie Rookie

Rusla,

That was my reaction when you posted the farmers market that has 2 booths that sell gluten-free bakery. I can't wait to go this weekend! :D I always call my hubby after I found a new goodie that is safe for my son and I to eat. Thankfully he's very supportive and is always on the lookout for "safe" foods!!

Nantzie Collaborator

Well, I just got my first ever box of Kinnikinnick stuff, and one of my friends stopped by when I was doing my taste test. I was so happy and was trying everything. She tried a couple things and agreed that they were pretty good, but my exhuberance and experience was a little beyond her.

The cinnamon rolls are really good. And this comes from a cinnamon roll snob. My grandma used to make cinnamon rolls completely from scratch (made her own dough all the way from flour), and THOSE are the cinnamon rolls I like. Cinnabon just doesn't cut it in my book.

And then there was my Tinkyada rave from a few days ago.

So, unnaturally excited?

Damn straight.

B)

Nancy

Guhlia Rising Star

I am so glad that other people do this... When I read the label for Grandma Utz potato chips and saw gluten free right on it I almost jumped out of my skin.

pokerprincess Newbie
Today I was shopping in (of all places) TJ Maxx's home section when something caught my eye: Jelly Belly candy corn - which I had heard was the only gluten-free candy corn, but I had never been able to find it. You would have thought I won the lottery. I was snatching it up like no tomorrow, nevermind the fact that it was probably leftover from Halloween. I get so excited when there is food that I can actually eat.

I thought other Celiacs would appreciate this. Everyone else at the store probably thought I was crazy though...

- Lauren

Yea for chestnuts!!! They taste like sugar cookies to me!

Canadian Karen Community Regular

I also do the happy dance when I find something new that I can eat.

We better watch out though, people are going to start to think (with raised eyebrow) "Man, those celiacs are psycho!"!!! :lol:

Hugs.

Karen

mightymorg Rookie

I was very excited yesterday when I went grocery shopping and got some Mi-del Ginger snaps! I've been using chocolate lately to curb my sweet cravings, but I'm getting burnt out on it! Those little cookies aren't bad and are a great change of pace!

jenvan Collaborator

rachel--"wheaty goodness" that makes me laugh! :D

i think i almost cried once when i found tinkyada unexpectedly at my regular grocery store. i called my mom and got a little verklempt :)

jerseyangel Proficient

About a month ago, I found that the small, older Acme that is close to my house had started to carry The Gluten Free Pantry mixes and a few other gluten free items. I saw them, stopped short to look, and my husband had made his way up the isle. I called to him from an isle away and said "look what I found!". I mean, for cripe sake, it was a brownie mix--I was so excited.

Lauren M Explorer

Hehe, you guys are funny, thanks for sharing :lol:

- Lauren

LAUSTIN Newbie

I'M NEW TO THIS FORUM BUT I HAVE FOUND THAT MANY GROCERY STORES CARRY A SMALL GLUTEN FREE SECTION. THEY HAVE BREAD, BROWNIE, CORN BREAD MIXES. THEY ALSO HAVE PASTAS (YUM). I ALSO HAVE EMAILED OR CALLED MANY COMPANIES SUCH AS CAMPBELLS AND ASKED ABOUT THEIR GLUTEN FREE PRODUCTS. MOST ARE HAPPY TO SEND A LIST OF PRODUCTS THAT ARE GLUTEN FREE. ONLY A FEW COMPANIES ACTED LIKE I WAS A WALKING DISEASE. THOUGHT I'D SHARE THIS.

LINDA

hlm34 Apprentice

along the same lines - I was sitting at Flat Top grill yesterday when the lady at the table next to me told the waiter she had Celiacs and asked if he had wheat free options. I overheard her and said "HEEEEEY!!! Me too!!" and then I introduced myself and we chatted about our problems! I think the people we were with thought we were a little nuts, but i was so happy to be sitting next to someone who understood me!!! It definitely made my dinner a little happier - but i thought to myself - in what other situation would i have done that??? "Hey! You have a cold?!? MEEEE TOOO! Lets talk about our symptoms!!!" I mean - that would never happen!! But with Celiacs....suddenly we were new best friends! :)

angel-jd1 Community Regular

- Lauren

I have caught myself doing this often. I find something that is gluten free, then purchase it no matter if I need it or not!! I just WANT it cause it says "gluten free" it may taste like crap, but hey it's GLUTEN FREE!! ha

A couple of weeks ago at my Wal-Mart I finally started to see their new labeling taking effect. I was throwing all kinds of things into the cart just because they said "gluten free". I'm sure I looked like an idiot, picking up a can, reading it, smiling, then throwing it into the cart!!

At another local grocery store, I was going down the isle where the bob's red mill flour is. Right beside it was a box of muffin mix....it was gluten free AND on sale. I just about passed out right there!!! Double whammy!! I am a girl who cant' pass up a sale!! :P

I'm glad to know I am not the only crazy gluten free chick out there!!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

LAUSTIN Newbie
I have caught myself doing this often. I find something that is gluten free, then purchase it no matter if I need it or not!! I just WANT it cause it says "gluten free" it may taste like crap, but hey it's GLUTEN FREE!! ha

A couple of weeks ago at my Wal-Mart I finally started to see their new labeling taking effect. I was throwing all kinds of things into the cart just because they said "gluten free". I'm sure I looked like an idiot, picking up a can, reading it, smiling, then throwing it into the cart!!

At another local grocery store, I was going down the isle where the bob's red mill flour is. Right beside it was a box of muffin mix....it was gluten free AND on sale. I just about passed out right there!!! Double whammy!! I am a girl who cant' pass up a sale!! :P

I'm glad to know I am not the only crazy gluten free chick out there!!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

I DIDN'T KNOW WALMART WAS STARTING A NEW LABELING SYSTEM. SOUNDS GREAT!! IT'S ABOUT TIME STORES AND PRODUCTS START MAKING THOSE LABELS READABLE.

:lol:

jen3899 Apprentice

I know I would be making new friends if I met someone else with celiac disease! I have only met 1 other and she did not follow her diet, so that was no fun! I think it would be great to be sitting in a restarunt bugging a waiter and then hear someone else doing the same thing, it helps you feel like less of a pain in the butt.

jcgirl Apprentice

The most excited that I have gotten was one day after reading about Philly Swirls here on the wonderful forum, I run up to the Mom and Pop grocery in my town to pick up some bread (NO NOT FOR ME OF COURSE). Anyway, as I pass the rather small frozen food cooler, out of the side of my eye I see none other than Philly Swirls. I literally yelled out "No way, I don't believe it" I bought up the four boxes they had, keep in mind I had never tried them, and proceeded home to become addicted. I jumped back into my car, drove up to the mom and pop store and asked to speak to the owner. The poor cashier must have thought she did something wrong. I explained my gluten issues to John (he went to school with hubby) and asked that he keep them in stock. Four days later I run up to the store again and the cooler is jammed packed with Philly Swirls.

On a sad note, John put them on sale one time and all those people that can eat whatever they want bought them up. As a side note, John keeps an extra box in the back cooler just for me.

Talk about getting excited :P:lol::D

Next step, get some good gluten-free bread products in my little store.

princessfuzzball Rookie

:ph34r:

I get excited as well, and I went to such lengths to ask the grocery guy at my store to order me some brown rice torillas. When they came in, he saw me shopping and came back with them and put it right in my care! I was so excited I hugged him and almost knocked him over. I'm a small petite, and he;s a taller well fed mad!)

Thanks for your stories!

i canary Rookie

I really don't think it is "unnaturally" to be so excited to see food we can eat. I was passing thru a town in East Tennessee (Morristown) got turned around found myself in front of a small health food store. On a whim I decided to stop in and see what they had. It was amazing. It looked like a small house had been converted into a store. This small place had gluten free items crammed everywhere. Brand names I had never heard of and food items I thought I would never get to eat again had a gluten free version on the shelf. I got so excited that I had to stop and take deep breaths to keep from crying. It was amazing. My mother was with me and she ended laughing with me because I was so happy. :D Nothing unnatural about it!

Regina

Archived