This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Have Problems With Rice Malt?

traveljunkie

traveljunkie Rookie

I bought some Mrs. Mays almond crunch that states "wheat free" from costco the other day. I was thrilled I found what I though was a safe snack, but after eating a few handfuls, I started getting a itchy rash and had bad diarrhea. The same reaction I have after eating gluten. After researching online, I learned that rice malt can contain barley. I was shocked and angry. This product is also sold on a gluten-free site that I frequently order from! :huh: I' so confused! Anyone else react to rice malt?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

chaddwell Apprentice

Hi,

My two year old is allergic to barley and I have to be careful with things that say rice milk, rice malt, or just malt because it can contain barley, especially something that just says malt.

Most malt is from barley. So be careful with anything that says malt, malt flavoring, rice malt, and even rice milk! I saw a brand of rice milk with barley in it.

Channon

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I bought some Mrs. Mays almond crunch that states "wheat free" from costco the other day.

Beware of anything that states "wheat free". You want it to say gluten-free...wheat free just means no wheat.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Can you post the ingredients? We may be able to help figure out what caused the problem.

traveljunkie Rookie

Almonds, rice malt, organic evaporated cane juice, and sea salt.

Rice malt is the only suspect in my opinion! :D

lovegrov Collaborator

Rice malt is made from rice. It should not have barley.

richard

chaddwell Apprentice

Since barley has a high enzyme content it makes it commonly used and it (barley enzymes) could have been added to the "crunch" because malted rice does not convert it's own starch (into sugars) as fully as barley does. From my experience Rice Dream Rice Milk contains a very small amount of barley enzymes and it lists that in the ingredients. It is not gluten free.

That's why I said be careful of anything that says malt because usually barley enzymes are lingering around! Anything that says malt, regardless of type, I avoid giving to my daughter.

Did you call the company and ask about it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast
Almonds, rice malt, organic evaporated cane juice, and sea salt.
The ingredients look fine to me. Does it say anywhere on the package about being processed in a facility with wheat? The product could be contaminated. I would contact the company.
jenvan Collaborator

traveljunkie-

ah! that company drives me crazy. their ingredients look okay...but i tried calling them FOUR times to be sure and each time they said they'd call me back and never did :(

if you are looking for a similar product, ck out the may's nut snacks on gfpantry--they are the same kind of thing--really good! go here and scroll down to ck out mrs. may's snacks. Open Original Shared Link

traveljunkie Rookie

jenvan, thanks for the link but last time I checked they don't ship to Canada :( . I'll check again!!

carrie, that's the problem. The ingredients seem safe but I had an immediate reaction(within minutes) to consuming! Go figure :P Somethings wierd about it and I don't trust anything with rice malt in the ingredients. I googled rice malt and I did find articles about barley. So, I'll just stay away from it. I loved the almond crunch...oh well! :(

Carriefaith Enthusiast
carrie, that's the problem. The ingredients seem safe but I had an immediate reaction(within minutes) to consuming! Go figure tongue.gif Somethings wierd about it and I don't trust anything with rice malt in the ingredients. I googled rice malt and I did find articles about barley. So, I'll just stay away from it. I loved the almond crunch...oh well! sad.gif
yeah, that's the best idea, just don't eat them again.
jenvan Collaborator

travel junkie--oops on canada :( have you ever trading the gluten-free trading post to see if they ship to canada? they have HUGE selection of gluten-free food and are based in milwaukee: Open Original Shared Link

traveljunkie Rookie

jen...thanks for the link...but it appears they have no shipping outside the U.S. I do shop at Kinnikinnick and gluten free.com and most stores here sell gluten-free foods..so no worries. Thanks a bunch...hugs to you :)

bluelotus Contributor

I think that there might be a problem for me. There is one product that seemed to bother me, I stopped using it, started again this week to see and it seems that I might have been glutened (that or I am getting the flu with a stomach ache). I want to verify that this product have rice malt in it before I post what it is, I would hate to say that it has it without checking. The ingrediants are only listed on the packaging, which I no longer have, so I will check at the store this weekend.

Good luck, and for your sake, I hope it was the malt. That way, you know the culprit and can quit eating it.

Felidae Enthusiast

Mrs. May's wabsite says their products are indeed gluten free.

jenvan Collaborator

Ah...just realized I got confused a bit. What I had purchased at Costco, the company that annoyed me with no return responses was call Aunty Nuts wheat free almond crunch...different than Mrs. Mays. Mrs. Mays is the one I purchased online and love--def gluten-free. Sorry if I confused someone!!

traveljunkie Rookie

Maybe I'm confused as well...I no longer have the bag...it could have been Auntie Nuts . I did purchase them from Costco. All I know is I won't at anything with rice malt for awhile.

• 2 years later...
Manny Newbie

I wish I had read the blogs on rice malt. I ate the Amy candy...with rice malt and got really sick. I just wanted people to know that it is possible to have a reaction.

• 2 weeks later...
loraleena Contributor

If something says only wheat free, that usually does not mean gluten free. I could very well have barley or rye. Make sure it says gluten free.

loraleena Contributor

If something says only wheat free, that usually does not mean gluten free. I could very well have barley or rye. Make sure it says gluten free.

elonwy Enthusiast

I am glad you posted this, as I would have assumed Rice Malt was fine. I did some digging, and it appears that the "malted" part of rice malt is indeed made by adding barley to it. The ingredients I found for Rice Malt are rice water and barley, across the board. Since its a sub-ingredient and barley isn't one of the main allergens, it appears you indeed got a wheat free but not gluten free product. I am sorry you got sick from it.

susan j Newbie
I am glad you posted this, as I would have assumed Rice Malt was fine. I did some digging, and it appears that the "malted" part of rice malt is indeed made by adding barley to it. The ingredients I found for Rice Malt are rice water and barley, across the board. Since its a sub-ingredient and barley isn't one of the main allergens, it appears you indeed got a wheat free but not gluten free product. I am sorry you got sick from it.
susan j Newbie

Is rice syrup the same as rice malt? Yesterday I ate an Erewhon creal that was "gluten free". It had rice syrup in it. I was sick this morning. Dont' know if it was the cereal.

msmini14 Enthusiast

So, I sent an e-mail enquiry to Mrs. May

Archived