#1 Rae

Rae

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 07:49 PM

Hey guys,

I need advice. I know splenda is a gluten free product, but could it be contributing to my symptoms. I been gluten-free for three months now, but still feeling kind of sick. My mom suggested that I should eliminate any artificial sweetners from my diet. Has anyone had reactions to Splenda??? Come to think about it, I use Splenda everyday- in my coffe and 10 cups of tea a day, plus any products like diet soda that I drink. Any comments or experiences would be appreciated. Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bluelotus

bluelotus

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 08:17 PM

Yes, Splenda and articifical sweeteners make me gassy and give me D (gluten issues aside). I used to get this taffy with fake sugar and I could clear a room :( It was horrible. Then there were these Baskin Robins hard candy with fake sugar and that did me in too. I gave up the stuff before I even knew about gluten, celiac disease, etc., but I still have the occasional (1x every few months) diet sprite (old habits don't die so easily).

I'd say there's no harm in giving up the stuff for a few days to see if you feel better. It definitely helped me.
The temple bell stops
but the sound keeps coming
out of the flowers
-Zen Haiku Master Basho

#3 chaddwell

chaddwell

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:23 PM

I for one don't use artificial sweeteners but I have heard, celiac aside, that it has bothered people in different ways. Could be an allergy or sensitivity??

Have you tried Stevia? I don't know if that would make a difference but I've heard good things about it.

#4 elonwy

elonwy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:35 PM

When I was first "diagnosed" with IBS, I was told to avoid artificial sweeteners, especially splenda, as they agravate gastro symptoms. I avoid them.
Elonwy
Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05
Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05
gluten-free since 7/23/05
Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

#5 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 07 December 2005 - 10:16 PM

I swear by Stevia. It is all natural, gluten free and great taste.

I would highly recommend you try it.

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#6 nettiebeads

nettiebeads

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 03:57 AM

Hey guys,

I need advice. I know splenda is a gluten free product, but could it be contributing to my symptoms. I been gluten-free for three months now, but still feeling kind of sick. My mom suggested that I should eliminate any artificial sweetners from my diet. Has anyone had reactions to Splenda??? Come to think about it, I use Splenda everyday- in my coffe and 10 cups of tea a day, plus any products like diet soda that I drink. Any comments or experiences would be appreciated. Thanks!

There are posts on the web from people who cannot tolerate Splenda. Even though it is made from sugar, the source of the sugar is the problem - methyl alcohol I believe, or commonly known as wood alcohol. Anyhow, it's hard on the liver supposedly. I would highly recommend trying going w/o and see what happens. Couldn't hurt.
gluten-free since Oct 1996

#7 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 05:27 AM

Any of the sugars, "real" or not, are not good for you, and all can cause different ppl different problems.

I have no problems with Splenda, and most ppl can tolerate it just fine. HOWEVER many (I do not have any hard numbers) ppl can not. For those ppl it causes the typical GI symptons. If your one of those ppl I would suggest you aviod splenda,.

ALot of ppl swear by Stevia, and it sounds great on paper, but at ABOUT TRIPPLE the price of splenda (per same "serving") at my local stores, I can not afford to get hooked on it so have not tried it yet LOL.

- Vincent -

#8 Rae

Rae

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 03:50 PM

I swear by Stevia. It is all natural, gluten free and great taste.

I would highly recommend you try it.

Karen

Thanks everyone for your replies- I am going to stop using splenda. Where can I find Stevia? Is it FDA approved? Thanks

#9 chaddwell

chaddwell

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 03:58 PM

Checkout Stevia

You can purchase through that site and there is info about the FDA as well in the FAQ section.

Others may know if it's available in stores or through other sites.

#10 Rachel--24

Rachel--24

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,323 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 05:18 PM

I see stevia at pretty much all the health food stores and even some regular grocery stores have it in the healthy section. It comes in liquid form too.
Rachel

#11 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 07:00 PM

Up here in Canada I buy it at a mainstream drug store we have here "Shoppers Drug Mart" in their health/vitamin section......

Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#12 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 07:37 PM

Kroger and Whole Foods carry it here, and probably else where, but way to expensive.

They carry the "sweet leaf" brand dunno anything about htat brand, but been watching the price. If it gets to about same price as Splenda I will definitly try it... or even cclcose. :)

- Vincent -

#13 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 07:43 PM

Splenda, or any other artificial sugar, can cause problems in people who are sensitive to it. The only way to find out is to get rid of it for a bit, and try again. You don't even really need to replace it, if you're willing to give yourself some time to adjust to less sweet tastes. You can use things like agave (lower glycemic index and a bit sweeter than sugar, so you don't have to use as much), and simply use less of it. Or you can use natural fruits (particularly dates). But as you adjust your taste preferences, you'll find that you don't need, or want, as much sugar, if all sugars are a problem and you have to reduce them.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#14 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

Will NOT let this disease diminish me!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 12:05 AM

Splenda made me REALLY sick. I checked the ingredients -- maltodextrin is one of them -- but it is supposed to be safe if it is made in the US. At any rate, once I stopped using it, and switched to Turbinado sugar (raw sugar -- it seems I don't need to use nearly as much as processed), I got MUCH better.
Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

#15 jumpingjack71

jumpingjack71

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:29 PM

It could be the Soda you are drinking every now and then.  I have read that although Soda is manufactured Gluten Free, some of the ingredients might not be totally gluten free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: