Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Is Splenda Making You Sick?

16 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I need advice. I know splenda is a gluten free product, but could it be contributing to my symptoms. I been gluten-free for three months now, but still feeling kind of sick. My mom suggested that I should eliminate any artificial sweetners from my diet. Has anyone had reactions to Splenda??? Come to think about it, I use Splenda everyday- in my coffe and 10 cups of tea a day, plus any products like diet soda that I drink. Any comments or experiences would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ads by Google:

Yes, Splenda and articifical sweeteners make me gassy and give me D (gluten issues aside). I used to get this taffy with fake sugar and I could clear a room :( It was horrible. Then there were these Baskin Robins hard candy with fake sugar and that did me in too. I gave up the stuff before I even knew about gluten, celiac disease, etc., but I still have the occasional (1x every few months) diet sprite (old habits don't die so easily).

I'd say there's no harm in giving up the stuff for a few days to see if you feel better. It definitely helped me.

I for one don't use artificial sweeteners but I have heard, celiac aside, that it has bothered people in different ways. Could be an allergy or sensitivity??

Have you tried Stevia? I don't know if that would make a difference but I've heard good things about it.

When I was first "diagnosed" with IBS, I was told to avoid artificial sweeteners, especially splenda, as they agravate gastro symptoms. I avoid them.

Elonwy

I swear by Stevia. It is all natural, gluten free and great taste.

I would highly recommend you try it.

Karen

Hey guys,

I need advice. I know splenda is a gluten free product, but could it be contributing to my symptoms. I been gluten-free for three months now, but still feeling kind of sick. My mom suggested that I should eliminate any artificial sweetners from my diet. Has anyone had reactions to Splenda??? Come to think about it, I use Splenda everyday- in my coffe and 10 cups of tea a day, plus any products like diet soda that I drink. Any comments or experiences would be appreciated. Thanks!

There are posts on the web from people who cannot tolerate Splenda. Even though it is made from sugar, the source of the sugar is the problem - methyl alcohol I believe, or commonly known as wood alcohol. Anyhow, it's hard on the liver supposedly. I would highly recommend trying going w/o and see what happens. Couldn't hurt.

Any of the sugars, "real" or not, are not good for you, and all can cause different ppl different problems.

I have no problems with Splenda, and most ppl can tolerate it just fine. HOWEVER many (I do not have any hard numbers) ppl can not. For those ppl it causes the typical GI symptons. If your one of those ppl I would suggest you aviod splenda,.

ALot of ppl swear by Stevia, and it sounds great on paper, but at ABOUT TRIPPLE the price of splenda (per same "serving") at my local stores, I can not afford to get hooked on it so have not tried it yet LOL.

I swear by Stevia. It is all natural, gluten free and great taste.

I would highly recommend you try it.

Karen

Thanks everyone for your replies- I am going to stop using splenda. Where can I find Stevia? Is it FDA approved? Thanks

Checkout Stevia

You can purchase through that site and there is info about the FDA as well in the FAQ section.

Others may know if it's available in stores or through other sites.

I see stevia at pretty much all the health food stores and even some regular grocery stores have it in the healthy section. It comes in liquid form too.

Up here in Canada I buy it at a mainstream drug store we have here "Shoppers Drug Mart" in their health/vitamin section......

Karen

Kroger and Whole Foods carry it here, and probably else where, but way to expensive.

They carry the "sweet leaf" brand dunno anything about htat brand, but been watching the price. If it gets to about same price as Splenda I will definitly try it... or even cclcose. :)

Splenda, or any other artificial sugar, can cause problems in people who are sensitive to it. The only way to find out is to get rid of it for a bit, and try again. You don't even really need to replace it, if you're willing to give yourself some time to adjust to less sweet tastes. You can use things like agave (lower glycemic index and a bit sweeter than sugar, so you don't have to use as much), and simply use less of it. Or you can use natural fruits (particularly dates). But as you adjust your taste preferences, you'll find that you don't need, or want, as much sugar, if all sugars are a problem and you have to reduce them.

Splenda made me REALLY sick. I checked the ingredients -- maltodextrin is one of them -- but it is supposed to be safe if it is made in the US. At any rate, once I stopped using it, and switched to Turbinado sugar (raw sugar -- it seems I don't need to use nearly as much as processed), I got MUCH better.

It could be the Soda you are drinking every now and then.  I have read that although Soda is manufactured Gluten Free, some of the ingredients might not be totally gluten free.

It could be the Soda you are drinking every now and then.  I have read that although Soda is manufactured Gluten Free, some of the ingredients might not be totally gluten free.

First, you are replying to a 7 year old thread. Second, please state reliable sources to support your " facts" as they are accusatory ( to the soda companies) and do not match up with generally accepted facts.