This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Degenerative Disk Disease

txceliacmom

txceliacmom Newbie

Do any of you with celiac also have degenerative disk disease(DDD)?

Could this be related to celiac?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kejohe Apprentice

My blood test for Celiac disease came back negative, but my son has a confirmed dx, so I know it runs in our family. That said, I will tell you that I have degenerative arthritis in my lower back, and I am only 26 years old.

Also, now that you mention it, I must say that since my son was diagnosed and our family went gluten-free, I have had tremendous improvement in the condition of my back. I had thought that the improvement was because I had taken a job where I was on my feet more, and sitting seems to really agrivate the lumbar for me, so I atributed the recovery to that, but maybe it's because of the gluten-free diet after all...

It's an interesting theory anyway, and I'd love to hear any opinions.

kejohe Apprentice

Oh, I forgot to mention... bone loss is one of the common symptoms of celiac disease, so it wouldn't seem out of place to consider DDD as just one more of the myriad of other issues that can accompany celiac disease.

slimmroth Newbie

I am 36 and female. I am sure that I have had celiac all my life due to the nature of my symptoms since I can remember. Mom always said we had sensitive stomachs. I was diagnosed about 4 years ago (finally) and have been gluten-free (seriously) about 1 1/2 years. My blood work supports this just last week yet I am severly anemic. I am so tired yet I have a job at a hospital as a Director of Internal Audit that is demanding.

Last year in February I could not go to work because of low back pain. I had an MRI and the doctor said I had DDD and a slight bulging disk. He said it was not bulging enough to cause the pain I was having. I got two nerve blocks.

Last week I had a nerve block because I am again in severe pain. My doctor would not order an MRI because he said he would do a nerve block regardless of the results. I had the block on Thursday and I woke up today the same as before---a stiffness in my lower back that goes across my right hip. I cannot bend over to blow dry my hair from underneath because of the pain and stiffness. I am sitting here at work constantly aware of the stiffness when I move. A bone scan I had was fine.

Does anyone have any hope/suggestions for me? Why in one week would I be diagnosed anemic and require a nerve block? Yet, the different doctors do not communicate to one another. It is very frustrating. I wonder if I have arthritis. Last year, however, I was put on a drug for such that did not help. Your prayers and comments are appreciated.

Karina Explorer

My father has this. He is old, but he had had problems for a long time. He has had two hip relacements, but he says the back is what is causing the bulk of his pain. I just got diagnosed with celiac disease. My mom has symptoms so she is getting tested, but my dad thinks maybe HE is the one who has it. I guess he has some GI issues he hasnt discussed with me. Anyway, I can't really answer the ? because I don't know. Your bone scan was ok? I thought almost everyone with this has osteoporosis. I havn't had a bone scan yet. I have joint pain a lot, and sometimes painful bones. I am only 30 so I don't think this is normal. I assume it is secondary to celiac disease, as those are common symtoms. I fear what my bone scan will show. I am sorry you are having such pain. I hate to see my dad walking around in such pain. It really limits him, and he wants to be active but it just hurts so. Well, I will say a prayer for you as I log off.....

Karina

slimmroth Newbie

Thanks Karina,

My bone scan was very normal which I found surprising as well considering how undernourished I have been. Perhaps I absorbed calcium because to this day I absolutely love to drink milk. I am not lactose intolerant but I am 5' 5" and used to weigh a whopping 105. I am now at 125. The weight gain has been quiet an adjustment for me even though I am not overweight. You get so used to being a size one and now I am a 4-6. It just feels wierd even though I know that I am healthier now.

I feel as though my bones ache as well, and it is a difficult thing to explain to my husband. Even though I ache and am tired alot, I force myself to workout at least 4 days a week if not more. I run 8 miles three days a week with a group, and the improvement in my joints has been amazing even though I am now down in my back. I hate to give up running but I know it is not possible this Spring/Summer.

Sheila

Archived