This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Do You Ever Miss The Stupid Things?

Lauren M

pokerprincess Newbie
Do you ever miss the stupid things that have gluten in them?? I saw a commercial for those Little Debbie Christmas Tree snack cakes (the ones that are covered in that fake, waxy white chocolate) and I wanted one SOOO badly. They're not even that good! This was seriously the closest I've ever been to cheating on the gluten-free diet - I almost ran directly out to the grocery store and shoved the whole box of them in my face :(

Then, later that same day, I was thinking about Poptarts. Again I had the worst craving! I used to eat the brown sugar ones. But still, it's just a Poptart! There are much better things in life.

Sometimes I just think that I want these things because I KNOW I can't have them!

Sorry, I'm full of off-the-wall topics lately... anyone else out there miss the stupid things too?

- Lauren

this is weird but cool; I had chestnuts the other night and to me they tasted just like sugar cookies! Yummm!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nogluten- Newbie

I was just missing those things today. I went grocery shopping and got my husband some pop tarts and nutty bars. I felt like dying after he ate one. :P

hlm34 Apprentice

so strange! when people ask me what i've missed the most i always say "entemanns chocolate donuts and pizza hut pizza!!"its good to hear i am not alone! i swear - when a pizza hut commercial comes on the TV i practically lick the TV screen. Making your own pizza is just not the same - I want it to be delivered to my house in that cardboard box - all greasy, with the cheese just right and that great smell. oh god do i miss pizza!

mytummyhurts Contributor

Mmmm...Pizza Hut

The little powdered donuts that come in a 6-pack (those must be Entenmann's)

KitKat

Twix

Twinkees

Lot of stuff, all bad for me anyways. ;)

Ummm....are Sour Patch Kids not gluten-free? I've eaten them. :blink:

And...bismarck donuts...in case anyone doesn't know, those are the chocolate ones with the cream filling. We need a drooling smilie face. :D

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I guess the things I miss the most are girl scout cookies, oreos, pizza, and kelloggs cherry poptarts.

But hey it's better for me not to eat them and there are other things I can eat..I make a pizza that is really good and just try to look at the positives.

darkangel Rookie

I would think there'd be several gluten-free alternatives to the butter cookies. Pamela's makes a good shortbread.

Brown sugar cinnamon Pop-Tarts. I'm sorry, but it's hard to beat that combination of warm, crispy crust and sugary sweetness.

Since I'm gluten-free/CF, I also majorly miss Reese's peanut butter cups, tiramisu, custard-filled eclairs and my Mom's home-made apple pie with Crisco flaky crust.

Cindy H Newbie

I have a few things that I really miss. We have a restaurant near us called DJays and they make the best pizza, unfortunately not gluten-free. The other things I miss are: Subway sandwiches, Big Mac, onion rings, and MIni Wheats cereal. No wonder I was so sice, I used to eat Mini Wheats everyday.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rachel--24 Collaborator
this is weird but cool; I had chestnuts the other night and to me they tasted just like sugar cookies! Yummm!

Funny you should mention chestnuts. I just bought some the other day. I actually dont remember ever having tried them and I have no clue how to make them. :unsure:

Do I just put them in the oven for awhile or what?

teacher1578 Apprentice
Actually I don't miss certain foods as much as I miss the convenience of just getting something on the go. Having to get up early and fix breakfast and packing a lunch when meeting friends for an outing is really one of the real downsides of this disease. I did enjoy the occasional twinkie with a cup of coffee before but being 55 years old when diagnosed seven months ago I guess I have had more than my share. Look at the bright side when the scouts or other organizations try to sell cookies and doughnuts on the street you can honestly decline without any guilty feelings. Personally I would trade all the pastries in the world for just one "cheap" gluten-free beer! Merry Christmas to all.

Tom

You said it - CONVENIENCE. I was diagnosed 11/3/05 and am still not used to being inconvenienced. Yes, I wake up early and think about where I am going and what I am doing and how much food should accompany me :)

mookie03 Contributor
You said it - CONVENIENCE. I was diagnosed 11/3/05 and am still not used to being inconvenienced. Yes, I wake up early and think about where I am going and what I am doing and how much food should accompany me :)

thats it for me too, actually (though i will admit there are a lot of foods i miss on occasion). I hate having to be the annoying one in a restaurant (esp in groups) and i hate feeling like i dont even want to eat out b/c of taking the risk... but most of all, being in law school AND working makes it really hard to plan in advance or go food shopping ahead of time...those convenient delis on every block of manhattan are no longer so nice to me... :( but, i know how sick ill feel if i eat that stuff, so im totally ok with it!! its worth the extra effort!!!

key Contributor

I would love to have Thin mint girlscout cookies, a sub sandwich, bean burrito from Taco bell and go to Olive Garden and eat everything!!!

Ok, but I do enjoy not having horrible GI issues!

Ya'll have really made me start missing foods I can't eat anymore!

Oh yeah, a REAL homemade Nestle TOllhouse chocolate chip cookie fresh from the oven with a glass of milk!

POUT!!!

Back to reality!

Monica

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

A Grilled Cheese sandwich that tastes like a grilled cheese sandwich

KFC Fried Chicken (I know, its stupid, but I miss it)

Southern Buttermilk Biscuits and Gravy

Garlic Bread

Cheesy Garlic Bread

Chex Mix

Buttery Rolls

Krisy Kreme Donuts

Burritos

Pizza (Papa Johns) or Marions/Cassano's in Dayton, Ohio (SIGH....)

That's it, I'm done -- time to go to BW3's and get some wings :) :)

i canary Rookie

I miss saltine crackers. I found acceptable subsitutes for everything else I loved, but I haven't found a good gluten-free saltine cracker.

Regina :rolleyes:

Idahogirl Apprentice

I miss.....

Pizza Hut, *Subway seafood & crab sandwich*, Taco Bell 7-layer burritos, mexican pizza, gorditas, Whoppers, Quarter pounders w/cheese, chocolate cake w/milk (for $.89 a box), Oreos, Nacho Cheese Doritos, corn dogs, real grilled cheese sandwich, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Chicken in a Biscuit, Ritz, Golden Puffs, Cocoa Puffs, croutons, Girl Scout Samoas, bagels w/cream cheese, toast w/jelly, biscuits & gravy......and the list goes on.

This list makes me realize how much I really like bad-for-you food.

It's also making me hungry...... :(

Lisa

mytummyhurts Contributor

Oh yeah, Nacho Cheese Doritos, those were my favorite.

And Taco Bell, I loved it there.

Yeah, it's funny how it's all the really bad for us stuff that we miss. Although, I guess most things with gluten in it are bad for you. Hmmm....

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I miss Entemann's Chocolate frosted donuts. I know people rave about the Kinnickinick one's but personally I think they're nasty. The thought of never having a donut again makes me want to cry. (Ok not seriously to the point of tears - but I miss it a lot).

Reading through these I thought I'd add 2 more things I really miss.

The biggest of all - more than any food, like some others said is convenience. I've always been thin and I miss my life of just eating whatever I want whenever I want. I'd never even been on a diet before. I miss having a carefree life of eating anything I wanted.

I also really miss stealing a bite or 2 of DH's pizza and eating his crust. I cut out pizza long before diagnosed because while I would have good days and bad days with just about every other food; pizza was the one thing that consistantly made me sick. But DH loves pizza and whenever he would get a couple slices from whatever local pizza place I would still just a couple bites to satisfy the craving from the smell. I hate when he gets it now. I so want a bite. I know I can go to Risotteria but that doesn't help me at 8:00 PM when we're at home.

pokerprincess Newbie
Funny you should mention chestnuts. I just bought some the other day. I actually dont remember ever having tried them and I have no clue how to make them. :unsure:

Do I just put them in the oven for awhile or what?

Well we have advanced since the days of "Chestnuts on the fire" you can throw them in the microwave for about 3 min. (i think) I need to check on it and make sure. Try a couple and see how long they take. In the mean time I will find out.

Enjoy and merry christmas

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Can't believe I forgot to mention my *all-time* favorite. McDonald's BIG-MAC. I used to order 2 + chicken nuggets. Also Taco Bell bean burritos with sour cream...last time I had those I broke out in a rash though. :(

jkmunchkin Rising Star
Can't believe I forgot to mention my *all-time* favorite. McDonald's BIG-MAC. I used to order 2 + chicken nuggets. Also Taco Bell bean burritos with sour cream...last time I had those I broke out in a rash though. :(

Oh I loved McDonald's chicken mcnuggets with sweet and sour sauce!!

Has anyone tried the Ians gluten-free chicken nuggets in the frozen section? I was thinking of giving them a try. I heard that Bell & Evans (which is my favorite brand of chicken) is coming out with gluten-free nuggets!

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

"Can't believe I forgot to mention my *all-time* favorite. McDonald's BIG-MAC. I used to order 2 + chicken nuggets."

Rachel, you look like a petite girl......2 Big Macs and Chicken Nuggets???? I wish I had your metabolism...WOW!!

Jnkmnky Collaborator
I miss saltine crackers. I found acceptable subsitutes for everything else I loved, but I haven't found a good gluten-free saltine cracker.

Regina :rolleyes:

EnerG has a cracker called "wheat free CRACKERS". So much like a saltine, you can close your eyes and really think you're eating an actual saltine.

Open Original Shared Link

Kinnikinnick has a new cookie called K-toos. Perfect Oreo replacement. Trust me on this one. Not anything like those nasty midels. Blach! :blink:

CMCM Rising Star

I guess what I'm missing more than any one particular thing is just the ability to eat whatever I felt like without thought. Now, everything has to be examined. I was looking in my cookbooks today and I realized that about 95% of what I used to make is now off-limits, especially in my current situation where I'm unsure of what all affects me, but it seems to be not only gluten, but dairy, legumes, and who knows what else. I'd like to just lose all interest in eating, heck, I'm losing interest already. And eating is SOOOO boring now. My universe of eatable foods is pathetically small. Boo hoo hoo!

jpsych Newbie

I was shopping the other day when it hit me...I can't have corn dogs. Not, that I ate them much, but nevertheless, I grieved.

frustratedneicey Apprentice

I don't know how far they will ship them, since I think they have to be refrigerated, but I have to say that the Grainless Baker in Scranton, PA, makes these AWESOME "Butterfly" cookies.

I used to be a big fan of Krispy Kreme Rasberry filled donuts and I have to admit, these cookies blow them away!! In fact, I think they are better than anything I ever had with Gluten. They are some type of jelly filled with powdersugar on top.

They are reallllll expensive though. I had them once, about 7 months ago, kept them in the freezer and ate them for about a month.

They have a web site, if anyone wants to check it out. I can't remember the exact address, but search for Grainless Baker.

Denise

Guest nini

I got to try some of those Grainless Bakery Butterfly Cookies at our last support group meeting, They were incredible!!! They don't normally ship to our area though, one of the group members is a relative of the people who run Grainless Bakery. They had awesome Graham Crackers too...

I really truly miss Taco Bell's Bean Burrito, Enchirito, and Soft Tacos... Wahhhhh Wahhhhh Wahhhhh :(

Archived