This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do You Ever Miss The Stupid Things?

Lauren M

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Rachel, you look like a petite girl......2 Big Macs and Chicken Nuggets???? I wish I had your metabolism...WOW!!

I've eaten like that my whole life. One of anything was never enough. When my ex would pack me a lunch it would be 2 sandwiches, 2 bags of chips...etc. Maybe it was the Graves Disease but I just never gained weight. I always wanted to be bigger and finally I did gain some weight (and loved it). The malabsorption pretty much took care of that and now it's back to petite...even more than before. <_<

My appetite is still huge but I cant eat like I want to and stuffing my face all day with veggies just isnt filling. I miss my 2 BIG MAC'S!!!!

Well we have advanced since the days of "Chestnuts on the fire" you can throw them in the microwave for about 3 min. (i think) I need to check on it and make sure. Try a couple and see how long they take. In the mean time I will find out.

Enjoy and merry christmas

Just a warning for anyone wanting to make chestnuts. Anything more than 30 seconds in the microwave and they will EXPLODE all over the microwave. :blink: They will totally combust into tiny chestnut particles.

The initial explosion scared the heck out of me but afterwards it was pretty hilarious.

:lol::lol::lol:

It happened to me twice as I tried to figure out the correct amount of time. Wasn't as funny cleaning the microwave the second time around though. <_<

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jnkmnky Collaborator
I was shopping the other day when it hit me...I can't have corn dogs. Not, that I ate them much, but nevertheless, I grieved.

I use garlic onion chebe and roll it onto the hotdog, then bake. Corn meal is gluten free. you could make a corn meal, muffin recipe and roll your dog in it.

domineske Apprentice
I miss those Danish butter cookies that come out during the holidays. Don't know what they're called but they come in a round blue tin and have 2 layers of yummy cookies. I miss those. :(

Also, those round snowball type cookies and...oh yeah....hostess cupcakes and ding dongs and twinkies!!!

I was in Bed Bath and Beyond the other day and saw a Twinkie making kit, so I bought it and made gluten-free twinkies for my daughters. They came out pretty good, too!

Idahogirl Apprentice

Thought of some more:

Lucky Charms, custard filled donuts, Raviolis (Chef Boyardee), Tuna Helper, Oreo Blizzards, fish sticks, garlic bread, oyster crackers on my clam chowder, granola bars (chocolate covered..mmmm...), those rolled up things with meat and cream cheese in a wrap, mozerella sticks w/marinara sauce, club sandwich, Campbell's Tomato Soup.

I don't know why, but I got some satisfaction just thinking and writing about those foods.

Lisa

Guest mvaught

I'm from South Louisiana and I LOVE fried oyster po-boys..boy do I miss them.

mommida Enthusiast

I buy those girl scout cookies and make my neighbor buy 'em off me.

As for a replacement for the Hostess cupcakes/twinkies, this is what I came up with. Bake the Pamela truffles brownie mix as the cake in the bundt pan. Make up cream filling, (got the recipe off Epicurious.com) it's basically crisco whipped with sugar. I rigged up a funnel with a plastic ziplock bag to inject the cake with the filling. I made chocolate icing and drizzled it all over the cake. I thought it tasted better than all the Hostess stuff I was craving at the time.

I'm currently working on replacing those butter cookies, I think I'm pretty close.

Laura

CeliaCruz Rookie
I don't know why, but I got some satisfaction just thinking and writing about those foods.

I'm a firm believer in the concept that states "if you can say it, you don't need to do it." Like let's say you really hate someone at work and you have all these violent feelings toward them, if you can turn to a trusted friend or relative and say, "I want to kill that !@#$ing jerk I work with!" you might actually get some release and not actually resort to violence. And then you keep your job and don't have to go to jail on an assault and battery charge. If I can say to someone, "hey, I really really want to eat a Little Debbie's snack cake right now and it's driving me up the wall," I feel that I've just saved myself from going crazy with frustration and actually shoving that Little Debbie into my pie hole.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lauren M Explorer

HAHAHA

Thank you for the laugh, CeliaCruz, I NEEDED that!

- Lauren

Lauren M Explorer

OMG I just thought of another one today - Spaghettios!! They're hardly gourmet, but I could sure go for some right now! Is that weird or what??

- Lauren

Candy Contributor

I like all the traditional good foods too,but I don't feel so left out or hungry OR sick as long as I can get some gluten -free products.I bought gluten free flour and made bisquits.They make a pretty good bread.I felt full and satisfied,with no side effects.I also made gluten free Choc.chip cookies.I can hardly tell them from the regulars,And all gluten free foodis filling so I ain't always hungry.I still eat everything else regular,meats,cheese,sunkist soda,cola,tea,veggies,beans.It's not all good for you ,but I eat some of it.Some Celiacs are allergic to casein in milk.I haven't been tested for that ,but I don't have a major problemwith milk so I eat it and eggs in moderation.But I can't eat with my family unless I make separate pizza crust ,or fried chicken batter,or rolls,or pasta. My Mom frets,"Can't you eat this? That? I want something we all can eat." "What if I make these muffins with Barley? Can't you eat Barley? What about soy? Oatmeal? I tell her I'll make half a batch of muffins with gluten free flour for myself. We'll all eat gluten free muffins then,she says. I tell her No,you eat regular don't force yourself to eat gluten free ones.But she's discontent.

Diosa Apprentice

I think the food I miss the most is dairy. I've not been able to tolerate dairy in about a year. I miss cheese and sour cream on tacos. I found gluten-free taco shells and make my own taco seasoning, but it's CHEESE. Le sigh... :)

I used to miss PopTarts and the like til I remembered what they did to my waistline. ;) Suddenly any urge for them was gone.

Archived