Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Glutenyzme Plus

8 posts in this topic

I found this website through a link off of ebay.

http://www.ventris.org.uk/health_supplemen...zyme_b14730.htm

Has anyone tried this and does it work??? I know I'm grasping at straws, but it made me cry when I read it and I was hoping maybe someone had some success with it...

Ads by Google:

It says that people with Celiac Disease should not eat these grains anyways. Its not going to stop the autoimmune response from occurring so I don't see how it would be helpful. Sorry. :(

I read this...

"In individuals with coeliac disease other factors must be considered and avoidance of cereals containing gluten may be advisable."

I was more interested in possibly being able to enjoy stuffing at Christmas or Thanksgiving than going back to a gluten diet. I was hoping maybe someone had tried it for cheats. I got really sick after Thanksgiving and ended up sleeping 3 days away all for 1 serving of stuffing. I just couldn't help myself.

Yea, I think that's what everybody is hoping for someday. Something that would allow the occasional yummy cheat without the antibodies attacking the intestines. I'm a big proponent of alternative medicine, supplements, etc. But since this is just something that helps DIGEST the gluten, it wouldn't do anything to block the body's autoimmune reaction, and the antibodies would still go on the attack. I guess it might keep you from having as bad of a reaction bathroom-wise, but you would still be damaging your intestines. You'd probably still get the brain-fog, tiredness, etc. too.

Personally I'm anti-cheat, but I wonder if there's anything out there for post-glutened symptoms for the times you get contaminated...

Nancy

Edited by Nantzie

This is what it states further down the page:

Glutenzyme Plus is a digestive enzyme complex specifically designed to break down the gluten proteins in cereals and grains. However, people with coeliac disease should still avoid eating the grains.

Personally, I would skip the gluten foods and enjoy the holidays (w/out being sick). :)

Make your stuffing w/ gluten-free bread or rice and enjoy it without risking damage.

The problem with enzymes like that is 1) the gluten peptide is VERY hard to break down, 2) they need to break the peptide in the right place, as it's only a small portion of the protein that we react to, 3) you don't know which glutens it's talking about - which plant's protein, and 4) you can't be sure that all of the gluten protein molecules you consume are broken down.

Definitely not worth the risk.

I believe you or anyone else, cheat at your own peril. No, you will not die on the spot. Maybe you won't even feel any discomfort - but somewhere inside your body gluten is doing a number on you - your intestines. your joints, your brain. Can it possibly be worth it? Claire

I am making the stuffing out of gluten-free bread this year and the gravy out of cornstarch. Why suffer when you don't have to suffer.