4 replies to this topic

#1 voyager

voyager

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 09:05 AM

Hi guys, I have been lurking for a few weeks. Just a quick history I'm 48, male, diagnosed and gluten-free for about 27 months. My GI doc, 7 yrs ago smirked at my symtoms and said IBS. 25 years ago and until then, previous docs said Alceritive Colitis. They thought that when I ended up in the hospital for a couple of days for major dehydration due to a baaaad bout with diariea for a good 24 When I was about 27. (ONE of the worst days of my life).

Previous to my diagnosis It was rough. Down to 142 lbs. from 155, My wifes family and friends were acutually voiceing concern of my death because I looked so sick. But I just kept saying I was fine, and kept going until I finally went to my GP and he ordered a mri. While the tech was looking at the just taken picture, she came and ask me if I was in any pain. I said no, She immediatly called my doc to get permission for one more lower shot. I guess my small intestines were so distended, they were amazed I was not in pain. Hence the diagnosies. What sucks is, 5 years previous, my GI doc did a upper GI but didn't do the simple process of grabbing the biopsy while he was there. Makeing the next 5 years some of my worst.

BUT NOW! 27 months gluten-free I'm 185 lbs. Look and feel great! Regular bm's, no pain, no gas. I can safely say I have not had 1 problem in 2 years. I was thinking I am totally cured......until I started reading this forum, especially the part about 40% increase in colon cancer risk. Also trace glutens doing damage even if no pain or symtoms.

After 25 years of all of the problem I've had, adhereing to a gluten-free diet is a breeze. you whipper snappers out there complaining about the diet, count your blessings. Well, this is whats been on my mind. And I appreciate the chance to talk a little about it. As many of us that are out there, I don't believe I have meet one personlly. Thanks.

Craig
in central FL

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 09:29 AM

Craig-
You can't change the past. All you can do now is stay gluten free. As you said the gluten free diet is a pretty darn easy way to change how you feel!! We are lucky that we dont' have to spend hundreds of dollars on a medication!!

Get regular check ups to check for things like colon cancer and such. The damage of the years is already done. There is no guarantee that you will or will not get cancer. Your odds now that you are gluten free are much less than when you were eating gluten. You just have to look forward and stay gluten free!!

Congrats on feeling better!!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Hi guys, I have been lurking for a few weeks. Just a quick history I'm 48, male, diagnosed and gluten-free for about 27 months. My GI doc, 7 yrs ago smirked at my symtoms and said IBS. 25 years ago and until then, previous docs said Alceritive Colitis. They thought that when I ended up in the hospital for a couple of days for major dehydration due to a baaaad bout with diariea for a good 24 When I was about 27. (ONE of the worst days of my life).

Previous to my diagnosis It was rough. Down to 142 lbs. from 155, My wifes family and friends were acutually voiceing concern of my death because I looked so sick. But I just kept saying I was fine, and kept going until I finally went to my GP and he ordered a mri. While the tech was looking at the just taken picture, she came and ask me if I was in any pain. I said no, She immediatly called my doc to get permission for one more lower shot. I guess my small intestines were so distended, they were amazed I was not in pain. Hence the diagnosies. What sucks is, 5 years previous, my GI doc did a upper GI but didn't do the simple process of grabbing the biopsy while he was there. Makeing the next 5 years some of my worst.

BUT NOW! 27 months gluten-free I'm 185 lbs. Look and feel great! Regular bm's, no pain, no gas. I can safely say I have not had 1 problem in 2 years. I was thinking I am totally cured......until I started reading this forum, especially the part about 40% increase in colon cancer risk. Also trace glutens doing damage even if no pain or symtoms.

After 25 years of all of the problem I've had, adhereing to a gluten-free diet is a breeze. you whipper snappers out there complaining about the diet, count your blessings. Well, this is whats been on my mind. And I appreciate the chance to talk a little about it. As many of us that are out there, I don't believe I have meet one personlly. Thanks.

Craig
in central FL

Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#3 Guest_nini_*

Guest_nini_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2005 - 10:56 AM

the longer you are gluten free, the less your risk for cancer and other complications... you can't live your life in fear of what if, just be happy that now you have a dx and now you can begin the process of healing your body. And the body is amazing in it's ability to heal.

#4 nettiebeads

nettiebeads

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 11:03 AM

Hi Craig, and welcome to the forum!! I noticed on your post you mentioned being 100% cured. But as celiac goes, it's an autoimmune disorder with no cure. What you are doing is altering your diet for 100% elimination of symptoms and gluten reactions. Just like a person with type II diabetes can alter his/her diet so no more sugar is spilled into the urine and the body will act like it's cured. And as for increased risk of complications - the longer you are gluten free the increased rate of complications returns to that of the general non-celiac population. So keep up the good work in being gluten-free, watch for cross contaminations and hidden sources such as OTC and lotions and such.
Here's to healthy living!!!
Annette
gluten-free since Oct 1996

#5 voyager

voyager

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 12:34 PM

Hi Craig, and welcome to the forum!! I noticed on your post you mentioned being 100% cured. But as celiac goes, it's an autoimmune disorder with no cure. What you are doing is altering your diet for 100% elimination of symptoms and gluten reactions. Just like a person with type II diabetes can alter his/her diet so no more sugar is spilled into the urine and the body will act like it's cured. And as for increased risk of complications - the longer you are gluten free the increased rate of complications returns to that of the general non-celiac population. So keep up the good work in being gluten-free, watch for cross contaminations and hidden sources such as OTC and lotions and such.
Here's to healthy living!!!
Annette

I never thought of lotions or anything of the sort, only food. And I also thought I had more of a tolerance than others. Once cooking some noodles for the grand kid, I by instinct, tested by eating a few. I freaked out and waited for the bomb to hit.... it never did. Maybe it did affect me, but not noticably. I will do some more homework. And go back to my GI doc. for a another follow up that I have not been to in almost 2 yrs. Thanks again.

Craig

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: