#1 nickra

nickra

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 09:27 AM

Hello,
Have read a bit about bone and joint problems relating to celiac disease, does anyone know more about this?
I have severe back, shoulder, leg problems that cant really be explained. i was wondering if it is just another sympton or am i guilty of thinking i have everything i read???

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 travelthomas

travelthomas

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 12:12 PM

Hi Nickra,

I did a little looking around and found this on celiac.com with their search engin:

ďAny food can cause allergic arthritis. Staple foods such as milk, eggs, and wheat (rye, oats, barley), coffee, beef, pork, and food additives are the most common food triggers.Ē

ď The most common cause of severe bone pain with untreated celiac disease is osteomalacia, which is malformation of the bones due to lack of Vitamin D and calcium. It affects mostly the hips, and sometimes the shoulders and back. It usually gets better with specific treatment, which includes the gluten-free diet for celiacs and sometimes includes Vitamin D supplementation and other interventions.
Another cause of bone pain is osteoporosis. It can often cause pain in the back, due to vertebrae which have become shortened and have begun squeezing the nerves. This condition is very painful and is not going to get better; once the vertebrae have shortened they are not going to stretch back up to their original size.
Muscle pain can also occur, due to Vitamin D deficiency. I have seen some leg pains as the initial presentation of celiac disease which cleared up with the gluten-free diet.Ē

Being I also have hip pain, finger joint pain, and leg muscle pain, Iíve started using glucosamine, and chondroitin. I might also add some vitamin D, and calcium to my diet to see what happens.

I have noticed that my muscle comes on after being inside for a few days. This would explain the lack of Vitamine D.

#3 travelthomas

travelthomas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 15 April 2004 - 03:22 PM

Hi again Nickra,

You might do a little investigation on cod liver oil. Itís high in vitamin D, and I also read some other good things about it. Careful not to take more than 1 table spoon a day (1,360 IU). More than 2000 IU a day can cause other problems!

#4 nickra

nickra

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 07:26 AM

Hi, Thanks so much for that info - I really found it helpful and will look into the things you suggested.

Cheers :rolleyes:

#5 travelthomas

travelthomas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 10:20 AM

Hi Nickra,

Here's some more information on diet and joint pain:

Foods to Include That May Relieve General Arthritis Symptoms:

1. Fruit: In particular those high in Vitamin C, like blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, kiwi fruit, peaches, mango, cantaloupe melon and anti-inflammatory fruits like apples.
2. Vegetables: In particular vegetables high in Vitamin A (beta-carotene) and Vitamin C. Carrots, squash, sweet potato, spinach, kale, collard greens, broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts.
3. Oily Fish: Rich omega-3 essential fatty acids and high in Vitamin E, like salmon, mackerel, sardines, herring, tuna and trout.
4. Nuts and Seeds: Rich in omega-3 essential fatty acids and high in Vitamin E. Unsalted nuts, like walnuts, brazil nuts and almonds, and seeds like sunflower, linseed and pumpkin seeds.
5. Pulses and Grains: Including lentils, chick peas (garbanzo beans), brown rice.
6. Anti-Inflammatory Foods: Turmeric, ginger, garlic and apples.

The most common culprits for causing arthritis are: sugar, caffeine, citrus, salt, red meat, pork, eggs, dairy products, additives, soft drinks, wheat, barley, rye, malt, corn, oats, peanuts, soya, nightshades (eggplants, red peppers, tomatoes, white potatoes, tobacco).

I got this information from a few web sights. They all seem to say the same things about diet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: