22 replies to this topic

#1 Moongirl

Moongirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:32 AM

So i contacted dominos pizza and they said that the buffalo wings and blue cheese are gluten-free!? But i was reading the ingredients and it has distilled vinegar in the blue cheese....isnt that non gluten-free?
Dx & gluten-free since 12/09/05

Positive blood and endo test
Boston, MA

What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Noelle126

Noelle126

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 10:40 AM

I thought veined cheeses were not gluten free...am I correct?
~ Angela

"If you love the life you live, you will live the life of love"

#3 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,536 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 10:41 AM

Virtually no distilled vinegar is made from wheat. Even if it is, the distilling makes it gluten-free.

richard

#4 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 11:11 AM

The veined cheese arguments is another one of those "trial and error" things.

Here are the arguments:

YES -- The yes people state that the bacteria used to make bleu cheese comes from moldy bread (which is accurate) -- the issue then becomes does the mnoldy bread infect the cheese? The yes people say it has to -- it is on the cheese and it did contain gluten at some point

NO -- These folks agree with the "yes" group in that the bacteria comes from the bread -- however, the bacteria/mold then feeds/works on the actual cheese and not the bread. Hence, the bread is used to start the process, but not to finish it.

What Science tells us - Scientific testing has shown that after the bacteria/mold has been applied to the cheese, the gluten is not carried through the process. The only gluten to be found was that of the moldy bread that was left on the actual cheese. This amount of gluten was found to be so small, it barely registered...

Furthermore, if the cheese is cleaned before it is shipped, it will have less if any gluten.

In my experience, I have not had any problems with bleu or gorogonzola cheese. I eat them all the time.

The choice is up to you...

Distilled vinegar is gluten free..

Edited by broncobux, 12 December 2005 - 12:25 PM.

#5 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:34 PM

Personally, I can't imagine why anyone would purposly eat moldy cheese. That's what makes blue cheese look the way it does. If it was called "Moldy Cheese", nobody would buy it. Interesting how it's expensive too. If we find anything in the back of our refridgerator having mold on it, we toss it out. As I recall, mozzarella gets pinkish when it gets mold on it.

Of course we're still talking about consuming the milk of an animal which isn't anything like humans. If apes are supposed to related to us...well, let's not go there...(sorry, rant over)
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#6 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,536 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:51 PM

A large number of blue or veined cheeses aren't even started on bread any more. They're started on an artificial medium.

I once read as post from somebody who knew a cheesemaker. According to the cheesemaker, even if every molecule of the starting culture were gluten, it would be less than 1 part per million. I have not researched this myself, but am merely repeating what I read at St. John's.

I love those moldy cheeses. Yum, yum.

richard

#7 elonwy

elonwy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 02:27 PM

Domino's buffalo wings are gluten-free?!?!?!?
You just made my week.
Elonwy
Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05
Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05
gluten-free since 7/23/05
Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

#8 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 02:35 PM

I would not risk risk it! Have you see how much flour is in the air at a pizza joint?

- Vincent -

#9 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 03:44 PM

Domino's buffalo wings are gluten-free?!?!?!?
You just made my week.
Elonwy

Poor buffalo. No wonder they don't fly very often :(
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#10 mytummyhurts

mytummyhurts

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 09:41 PM

As I recall, mozzarella gets pinkish when it gets mold on it.

Pink cheese, I think you just discovered a new food, rice guy!

#11 anerissara

anerissara

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 06:49 PM

I don't know about Domino's (although it would be terrific if it's true!) but I'd be careful about blue cheese. This week I almost bought a tub of crumbled blue cheese, and luckily looked at the lable....it specifically said that it contained WHEAT. Yipes! Maybe some blue cheeses add something else that makes them unsafe?

Boar's Head blue cheese is gluten-free.
"I will say of the Lord, 'He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.'" -Psalm 91

gluten-free since January 26th, 2005
Feeling up and down, but better!

Mommy of a gluten-free 8 yr old, a 6 yr old who (much to her dismay) will be gluten-free soon and a 2 yr old who is so far symptom-free. Contemplating putting the whole family on the gluten-free diet since crumbs have become my nemisis!

#12 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 10:58 AM

My husband has been a manager at Domino's for several years. We checked with corporate to be certain the wings were okay. Here is how to do this:

When you call in, ask for a manager. Explain that you want to place an order for the wings but have an allergy to wheat. Ask the manager to request that the person handling your order wash their hands just prior to handling the wings to avoid cross contamination. If possible, order other stuff along with it so that it is worth their while to do the special handling for you. Be sure to tip well so that they remember you next time and have an incentive to go that extra mile. I would question the bleu cheese just because I can't stand the smell of the stuff, but the ranch is definitely ok.

Since my husband did not work at the store which delivers to our home, he contacted the manager there and explained the situation. We order regularly. Our son enjoys the opportunity to get something with gluten in it (even if he does have to eat it in the floor away from us) while the gluten-free folks in the house hold are satisfied as well.

Good luck.
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

#13 mcalister14

mcalister14

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 05:21 PM

I'm so excited about this!!!
Happy day! :P
IgG- 120(severe+)
IgA- 18(normal)
Positive biopsy

Diagnosed July 2004

#14 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:53 PM

My husband has been a manager at Domino's for several years. We checked with corporate to be certain the wings were okay. Here is how to do this:

When you call in, ask for a manager. Explain that you want to place an order for the wings but have an allergy to wheat. Ask the manager to request that the person handling your order wash their hands just prior to handling the wings to avoid cross contamination. If possible, order other stuff along with it so that it is worth their while to do the special handling for you. Be sure to tip well so that they remember you next time and have an incentive to go that extra mile. I would question the bleu cheese just because I can't stand the smell of the stuff, but the ranch is definitely ok.

Since my husband did not work at the store which delivers to our home, he contacted the manager there and explained the situation. We order regularly. Our son enjoys the opportunity to get something with gluten in it (even if he does have to eat it in the floor away from us) while the gluten-free folks in the house hold are satisfied as well.

Good luck.

OK, so here's a post over three years old (I see Rice Guy was in rare form :D ). I was craving hot wings because of the Frank's Hot Wing Sauce thread and conducted a search.

I must admit to a rare lapse of judgement, but a while back I ordered some pizza , cheezy bread, and hot wings for a family get-together we were having. I feel it is my duty to feed my guests, and do not limit the selection to gluten-free items. So, I go get the food, get home, everyone's chowing down, yum yum, and I look at the wings. They don't "appear" to have any flour on them (I know, that's a very stupid assumption to make). I eat one. It's pretty damn tasty. I get a little anxious and don't eat any more.

I didn't get sick (thank you GOD!). But now I'm wondering if I could get away with following cdford's advise. I pick up pizza frequently for my guests and can't help but notice the employees are usually covered with flour (why do they always wear black shirts?). Seems to me there's probably nothing more nerve racking to a Celiac than being in a fried chicken place, a pasta place, or a pizza place.

Any thoughts on this?

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#15 CaitlinK

CaitlinK

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:07 PM

Domino's now offers gluten free pizza base! Check out there website.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: