This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Soon After Becoming gluten-free Should I Get Blood Re-tested?

jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I have been gluten-free for close to 6 months now. I know once you are established on a gluten-free diet you usually only need to visit your GI once a year but I vaguely remember hearing something about getting your blood test done at 6 months when you initially start on a gluten-free diet to see how your numbers are. Does anyone know? If this is the case I'd like to think about making an appointment in the next couple of weeks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

aljf Apprentice

I heard that--

I saw Dr. Susie Lee at the Columbia U Celiac center, and she suggested doing follow-up blood work after 6 months and then a re-biopsy after a year.

(She also had me get a bone density scan.)

She's really good-- I recommend her!

par18 Apprentice

I had a blood test after about 6 months but not for levels of anti-bodies. Because I responded so well to diet and feel so good I was only checking things like blood sugar. I had a bone density test done about a month after Dx. I would probably get annual bone scan before blood tests if I still feel good with none of the previous celiac disease symptoms.

julie5914 Contributor

I was still having a lot of trouble, so I was retested at 3 months and will be tested again (I hope) next week at 6 months. I really hope the numbers are down this time since I feel better after nixing dairy. Then I will go to doing a yearly check-in on it. I never had endoscopy - I wouldn't do that at 6 months after because of cost and trouble - the blood test should be enough to show progress. If my blood numbers are still super high I may do endoscopy, but if yours are down from last time and you're feeling better, I'd skip it and stick with the blood numbers.

skoki-mom Explorer

I think it depends what "numbers" you are testing for. My GI told me that it was pointless to do antibody testing as the antibody titre is not a good predictor of disease. For instance, if my antibody level was half of what it was before, it does not mean I am 50% better than I was before. However, if you are testing for anemia and nutrient levels and stuff, I'm really not sure because I'm not getting tested for those either any time soon as they were all normal at the time of Dx. There is no reason they would decline with me on the diet. I will probably have another scope sometime in the next year, though, to find out what is going on in there.

jerseyangel Proficient

I had the CBC and metabolic panel done at 6 months because I was anemic and my white cell count was low and a few other things were out of range pre DX. I will be seeing my GI the first week of Jan. -- don't know if he will do any more testing.

julie5914 Contributor

My doc will be doing antibody testing because she says there will be no antibodies produced if there is no gluten to react to. And the tTG will show if damage is still being done. That's why we have to be on gluten for several weeks before a diagnosis blood test, right?

It's true that it won't show if you are healing, but it will show that you're not having reactions anymore and that the diet is working.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived