19 replies to this topic

#1 Moongirl

Moongirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 07:55 PM

For about a year now (pre-dx) i have been having this pain, more like a pressure right above my hip bone on my lower right side. Sometimes it feels like its a burning sensation. More of an annoying thing then pain, but still worries me.
Just curious if this happens to other people.... :huh:
Dx & gluten-free since 12/09/05

Positive blood and endo test
Boston, MA

What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nettiebeads

nettiebeads

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 04:13 AM

For about a year now (pre-dx) i have been having this pain, more like a pressure right above my hip bone on my lower right side. Sometimes it feels like its a burning sensation. More of an annoying thing then pain, but still worries me.

Sounds similar to mine. It was like I was being sliced with a red hot butter knife. Turned out it was fibroids and one had attached itself to my pelvic floor. 4 1/2 yrs after my hyster. I still get the pain occasionally.
Annette
gluten-free since Oct 1996

#3 Lovinglife

Lovinglife

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 11:07 AM

I have experience such a WIDE variety of pains with celiac disease. If you want to know I can give you an extensive list. You should have it checked out, but first I would suggest making sure that you're not accidentally ingesting gluten because that sucker finds its way in nearly all (processed) foods. I am learning more and more about the disease and its shocking to see how many ways I was being "glutened" without realizing it. And that can be the cause of your pain, even if you've been gluten free for a while.

ALTHOUGH, again, I would suggest getting it looked at if it persists.

Good luck.

Much love,

Florence

#4 DonnaD

DonnaD

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 12:53 PM

I also have a pain in this area although mine is more a 'cramp' type pain since i was 16. It goes away unless I get gluted. My sister also has the same pain and we both have been dx as 'IBS & fibromyalgia'.
I hadn't had it for ages and just could not resist apple and almond tart in France 2 weeks ago, such a mistake!
Mum of 11yo dx celiac disease Nov 05 by biopsy

#5 anerissara

anerissara

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 07:07 PM

I have that exact pain! Right above my right hip bone, not even really a pain but more of an annoying feeling that comes and goes. I do notice that it gets MUCH worse when I have been glutened, and doesn't bother me if I've been really careful.

I used to have a similar pain on the right side but right under my ribs, which the dr. said could be gas getting trapped there and causing problems. There's a sharp turn in the intestines in that area. It looks like there is also a sharp turn in that lower right area (where the small and large intestines meet), so maybe it's a gas pain? That would explain why it's usually more of a pressure or wierd sensation than an actual pain.
"I will say of the Lord, 'He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.'" -Psalm 91

gluten-free since January 26th, 2005
Feeling up and down, but better!

Mommy of a gluten-free 8 yr old, a 6 yr old who (much to her dismay) will be gluten-free soon and a 2 yr old who is so far symptom-free. Contemplating putting the whole family on the gluten-free diet since crumbs have become my nemisis!

#6 Moongirl

Moongirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 07:11 PM

I have that exact pain! Right above my right hip bone, not even really a pain but more of an annoying feeling that comes and goes. I do notice that it gets MUCH worse when I have been glutened, and doesn't bother me if I've been really careful.

I used to have a similar pain on the right side but right under my ribs, which the dr. said could be gas getting trapped there and causing problems. There's a sharp turn in the intestines in that area. It looks like there is also a sharp turn in that lower right area (where the small and large intestines meet), so maybe it's a gas pain? That would explain why it's usually more of a pressure or wierd sensation than an actual pain.

that would make sense, ive been having this pain for a little over a year. I just got Dx this week.....Im being very careful with my food, its not too hard cause my mom was Dx 2 years ago....But i have noticed a huge difference in the pain...i will notice the next time if i get it what i ate before that....
Do you get it on just your right side, or both?

Boston, MA

#7 anerissara

anerissara

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 07:32 PM

For about a year now, almost always just the right side. However I've noticed lately that sometimes I get the same kind of pain on the left...not nearly as often, but occationally.
"I will say of the Lord, 'He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.'" -Psalm 91

Mommy of a gluten-free 8 yr old, a 6 yr old who (much to her dismay) will be gluten-free soon and a 2 yr old who is so far symptom-free. Contemplating putting the whole family on the gluten-free diet since crumbs have become my nemisis!

#8 jpsych

jpsych

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 12:00 AM

My pain has always come from the right side, however, I hurt right below the ribs on that side. It pulsates when it is really bad and feels like a "hot knife". It will also radiate over to my side/back. If I stay on my diet, it is much better, however it is still sore as I am in the healing stage.

#9 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 07:54 AM

moon girl-how long have you been gluten-free?
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#10 Moongirl

Moongirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 08:03 AM

moon girl-how long have you been gluten-free?

Just started a week ago, i was just diagnosed this week! ;) Figured i had it before they told me cause my mom has it, and everything was adding up to it, so it wasnt a big surprise, just have to get used tot he adjustment. It helps that i have my mom who knows a lot, and that my bf family owns a chain of supermarkets. Im trying to get him to run a gluten-free block in the sale flyer :P

Boston, MA

#11 anerissara

anerissara

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 08:08 AM

I used to have that below-the-ribs pain, too. For awhile I thought it was something with my ribs even, the pain was around the very lowest rib. It went away about the time that I started having the pain by my hip...or maybe it just moved. The rib pain quit shortly after I went gluten-free and the lower pain is much worse if I get glutened.

#12 Moongirl

Moongirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 08:12 AM

I used to have that below-the-ribs pain, too. For awhile I thought it was something with my ribs even, the pain was around the very lowest rib. It went away about the time that I started having the pain by my hip...or maybe it just moved. The rib pain quit shortly after I went gluten-free and the lower pain is much worse if I get glutened.

im starting to guess that mine is all gluten related too. i just was dx this week, and have been doing my best to be gluten-free. i have to say the pain has subsided considerably. so hopefully its related to my celiac disease and it will just go away....cause i had my ob/gyn check me out and everything in that area was ok, she said that a lot of digestive problems cause pain down around your ovary area b/c they are so close.

Boston, MA

#13 anerissara

anerissara

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 08:16 AM

That's good to know...it makes me nervous too. I'm really hoping that as I get better and if I can stop accidentally getting glutened it will go away completely!

#14 Moongirl

Moongirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 10:40 AM

heres another thing too, not sure if the same happens with you. Do you tend to feel better, like the pain would subside more if you went to bathroom? (not peeing i mean) lol

Boston, MA

#15 anerissara

anerissara

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 01:15 PM

Yeah, sometimes it will get better if I go. Always if I have the pain *Plus* I have to go, if that makes sense.

Also, it tends to be worse in the early morning or late evening.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: