This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Right Abdominal Pain

Moongirl

Moongirl Community Regular

For about a year now (pre-dx) i have been having this pain, more like a pressure right above my hip bone on my lower right side. Sometimes it feels like its a burning sensation. More of an annoying thing then pain, but still worries me.

Just curious if this happens to other people.... :huh:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nettiebeads Apprentice
For about a year now (pre-dx) i have been having this pain, more like a pressure right above my hip bone on my lower right side. Sometimes it feels like its a burning sensation. More of an annoying thing then pain, but still worries me.

Sounds similar to mine. It was like I was being sliced with a red hot butter knife. Turned out it was fibroids and one had attached itself to my pelvic floor. 4 1/2 yrs after my hyster. I still get the pain occasionally.

Annette

Lovinglife Rookie

I have experience such a WIDE variety of pains with celiac disease. If you want to know I can give you an extensive list. You should have it checked out, but first I would suggest making sure that you're not accidentally ingesting gluten because that sucker finds its way in nearly all (processed) foods. I am learning more and more about the disease and its shocking to see how many ways I was being "glutened" without realizing it. And that can be the cause of your pain, even if you've been gluten free for a while.

ALTHOUGH, again, I would suggest getting it looked at if it persists.

Good luck.

Much love,

Florence

DonnaD Apprentice

I also have a pain in this area although mine is more a 'cramp' type pain since i was 16. It goes away unless I get gluted. My sister also has the same pain and we both have been dx as 'IBS & fibromyalgia'.

I hadn't had it for ages and just could not resist apple and almond tart in France 2 weeks ago, such a mistake!

anerissara Enthusiast

I have that exact pain! Right above my right hip bone, not even really a pain but more of an annoying feeling that comes and goes. I do notice that it gets MUCH worse when I have been glutened, and doesn't bother me if I've been really careful.

I used to have a similar pain on the right side but right under my ribs, which the dr. said could be gas getting trapped there and causing problems. There's a sharp turn in the intestines in that area. It looks like there is also a sharp turn in that lower right area (where the small and large intestines meet), so maybe it's a gas pain? That would explain why it's usually more of a pressure or wierd sensation than an actual pain.

I have that exact pain! Right above my right hip bone, not even really a pain but more of an annoying feeling that comes and goes. I do notice that it gets MUCH worse when I have been glutened, and doesn't bother me if I've been really careful.

I used to have a similar pain on the right side but right under my ribs, which the dr. said could be gas getting trapped there and causing problems. There's a sharp turn in the intestines in that area. It looks like there is also a sharp turn in that lower right area (where the small and large intestines meet), so maybe it's a gas pain? That would explain why it's usually more of a pressure or wierd sensation than an actual pain.

that would make sense, ive been having this pain for a little over a year. I just got Dx this week.....Im being very careful with my food, its not too hard cause my mom was Dx 2 years ago....But i have noticed a huge difference in the pain...i will notice the next time if i get it what i ate before that....

Do you get it on just your right side, or both?

anerissara Enthusiast

For about a year now, almost always just the right side. However I've noticed lately that sometimes I get the same kind of pain on the left...not nearly as often, but occationally.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jpsych Newbie

My pain has always come from the right side, however, I hurt right below the ribs on that side. It pulsates when it is really bad and feels like a "hot knife". It will also radiate over to my side/back. If I stay on my diet, it is much better, however it is still sore as I am in the healing stage.

jenvan Collaborator

moon girl-how long have you been gluten-free?

moon girl-how long have you been gluten-free?

Just started a week ago, i was just diagnosed this week! ;) Figured i had it before they told me cause my mom has it, and everything was adding up to it, so it wasnt a big surprise, just have to get used tot he adjustment. It helps that i have my mom who knows a lot, and that my bf family owns a chain of supermarkets. Im trying to get him to run a gluten-free block in the sale flyer :P

anerissara Enthusiast

I used to have that below-the-ribs pain, too. For awhile I thought it was something with my ribs even, the pain was around the very lowest rib. It went away about the time that I started having the pain by my hip...or maybe it just moved. The rib pain quit shortly after I went gluten-free and the lower pain is much worse if I get glutened.

I used to have that below-the-ribs pain, too. For awhile I thought it was something with my ribs even, the pain was around the very lowest rib. It went away about the time that I started having the pain by my hip...or maybe it just moved. The rib pain quit shortly after I went gluten-free and the lower pain is much worse if I get glutened.

im starting to guess that mine is all gluten related too. i just was dx this week, and have been doing my best to be gluten-free. i have to say the pain has subsided considerably. so hopefully its related to my celiac disease and it will just go away....cause i had my ob/gyn check me out and everything in that area was ok, she said that a lot of digestive problems cause pain down around your ovary area b/c they are so close.

anerissara Enthusiast

That's good to know...it makes me nervous too. I'm really hoping that as I get better and if I can stop accidentally getting glutened it will go away completely!

heres another thing too, not sure if the same happens with you. Do you tend to feel better, like the pain would subside more if you went to bathroom? (not peeing i mean) lol

anerissara Enthusiast

Yeah, sometimes it will get better if I go. Always if I have the pain *Plus* I have to go, if that makes sense.

Also, it tends to be worse in the early morning or late evening.

• 2 years later...
withnail69 Rookie

god.... This could be it.... A google search for my symptoms led me to this forum. So far I have been suspected of having kidney stones and gall bladder problems. I have had an ultrasound that has showed up nothing and I am booked in to have a c.t scan. Like you guys for two months I have had a recurring pain. I'll describe it in detail and then if any of you can confirm it sounds like celiac's I would be very grateful. Over two months ago a pain started just to the right of my belly button (left if you were looking at me) it would radiate to the sides and eventually to the lower back (any pain has always been on the right side) Right now it is in the area where the pain seems to be predominately. On my right side above my hip and below my ribs. Sometimes this pain can go for days and then come back again. So far the doctors are stumped. I should add that last year I had a couple of what seemed to be bad food allergic reactions this prompted me to send my blood off to be tested. It said my worse reactions were to wheat and gluten but it said it couldn't confirm celiacs. The nutricianist said if I carried on with my same diet symptoms would worsen but I didn't listen ..... Any advice would be gratefully recieved I spend a lot of nights lying on my right side cause it hurts a lot. The pain never feels too far beneath the surface of the skin it feels like someone with hot fingers is pinching if that makes any sense at all

gfgypsyqueen Enthusiast

I've had lower right abdominal pains for years. It finally turned out to be adhessions. I had a very hard time getting anyone to really take that pain seriously.

Celiacs and allergy to wheat are different. Go see a Gastorinterologist and get tested for Celiacs, provided you are NOT gluten-free now. If you are gluten-free, the test results will be skewed.

• 4 weeks later...
AGF4812 Newbie

Has anyone figured this out?

I first experienced the pain a year ago. I ended up going to the emergency room twice b/c the pain was so acute & sudden that I thought it was my appendix. I was volunteering in Mexico at the time, and eventually I saw a doctor there who did an ultrasound and said that I had a kidney stone. When I got back to the states, I had a CT done. It was completely normal. I don't know if I really had a stone or not.

I still randomly experience pain on my right side about belly button level. It is very manageable now, but it worries me. I have been to numerous doctors since and have tested normal -no STDS, no urinary tract infections, nothing to indicate kidney problems.

I am 24 and have been gluten free since I was 15.

Ken70 Apprentice

I've had the same pain for the last month. My Chiropractor friend thinks it might be my Ileo-Cecal Valve. Here is a quick link www.energybalancing.com/selfeval/ileocecal . I did a quick google search for this link.

Mine hurts right now. I was sitting here massaging the area when I cam across this topic. I personally feel like there is a sore in my cecum valve area that is not healing for some reason. It could be the early stages of an appendix problem too.

It would be great if there was an easy answer. It's been a long year with one problem after another needeing to be solved. This is just one more I guess.

Rhesa Newbie

I just joined this forum.. the reason I went to the Naturopath in the first place was because I was primarily because of pain I was having on my right side, just below my belly button, and sometimes on my left. It did sometimes feel like it got better after I used the bathroom or the pain came on sometime before I needed to use the bathroom. It also seemed worse around ovulation and a few days before my period. SO I couldn't tell if the pain was ovarian or intestinal. I got various tests done, some of which showed me to be hypothyroid and potentially celiac (it was a stool test so I don't think the results are confirmed as celiac, but it definitely shows I am gluten intolerant). An ultrasound also showed up a haemorrhagic cyst on my right side. My doctor said that the cyst is probably what causes the pain since it grows and subsides each cycle which explains the timing of the pain.

I've only just started to be gluten free and have had multiple slip-ups but either because I am eating so much less gluten or because I'm taking dessicated thyroid pill, I haven't had the pain this month.

It is strange and exciting how all these various symptoms and diagnoses can actually be related. I tulry beleive that by going gluten free I will probably be able to control both the cyst growth and the hypothyroid condition since they were probably both aggravated by my body's reaction to gluten.

I hope!

In any case, one reccomendation my naturopath gave for the temporary releif of the abdominal pain was warm castor oil compresses. She also said you could do a vinegar compress instead. Or if you don't have time for a compress, just rub some castor oil on the area and cover with a thin cloth to protect your clothing from the oil. She also recommended strong ginger tea or indian chai as ginger has anti-inflammatory properties.

• 9 years later...
Soph-88 Newbie

Hi 

I get this exact 'annoying feeling' above my right hip bone. I've had it for about 6 months on and off now. Was only told I had celiac about 2 months ago and I thought it may have gone but it still comes and goes! Sometimes a spikey pain, sometimes like now just a feeling of pressure/air/ almost like something is moving there or leaning against my hip!

very worrying but the doc said it is probably just gas from celiac - it still worries me though as celiac affects the intestines and this feeling is much lower down!

mine is also tender in varying degrees coming and going. 

X

• 6 months later...
EJP Newbie

Hi, I am new here and have been experiencing a similar sensation on my right side for about 4-5 months now. I know this post has not been updated recently but I would love to know if anyone has had an outcome or diagnosis for this. I have seen numerous doctors and have had many tests done with no answers. Along with a few other weird things going on with my body, I am at my wit's end! I follow a mostly gluten-free diet but am not strict.

Would love an update from anyone out there.... thank you!

kareng Grand Master
39 minutes ago, EJP said:

Hi, I am new here and have been experiencing a similar sensation on my right side for about 4-5 months now. I know this post has not been updated recently but I would love to know if anyone has had an outcome or diagnosis for this. I have seen numerous doctors and have had many tests done with no answers. Along with a few other weird things going on with my body, I am at my wit's end! I follow a mostly gluten-free diet but am not strict.

Would love an update from anyone out there.... thank you!

Mostly gluten-free?  That is your problem right there!  A Celiac has to be completely gluten-free>

Archived