Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

gluten-free Cream Of Mushroom Soup

17 posts in this topic

I would love to find a gluten-free cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup...especially a concentrate...that I can use in cooking things like casseroles or rice dishes. Does one exist?

Ads by Google:

I have yet to find a condensed cream of anything soup. I have found several options that work well. One is that Health Valley has cream of chicken and mushroom soups that are gluten-free. As well as a creamy mushroon soup by Progesso. I have tried this http://www.gfutah.org/recipes/Condensed%20Cream%20Soup.html and it worked great. However, not as quick as opening a can.

Hez

Thanks, I'll have to try it!

Hey, I noticed that the recipe is off the gluten-free Utah board...are you in UT? That's where I live.

I would love to find a gluten-free cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup...especially a concentrate...that I can use in cooking things like casseroles or rice dishes. Does one exist?

Its not a condensed mushroom soup. But Progresso(General Mills) has a "Creamy Mushroom" Soup. I actually use it for a few different casseroles. Its a bit runny yes, I will try to let it simmer down a bit. Though I usuall simmer it up with a choppped up baked potatoe and the potatoe helps absorb the excess "soup"iness of it.

No, I don't live in Utah. I am in Colorado. I got the recipe web site of this board!

Hez

I posted the following just recentl. The one below came recently from a board member but I don't remember who it was.

CREAMED SOUP SUBSTITUTES

http://www.gfutah.org/recipes/Condensed%20Cream%20Soup.html

CREAM SOUP RECIPE STARTER

1 cup non-instant dry milk or nondairy substitute

1 cup white rice flour (i sub some of it for sweet rice)

2 tsp dried minced onion

1/2 tsp pepper

1/2 tsp salt

3 tbsp gluten-free powdered chicken or veg soup base

*i add other spices like thyme, white pepper, cayenne

mix this up well and store in pantry. this makes about 8 or 9 'cans' of soup. to make cream of chicken, blend 3 to 4 tbsp of soup mix with 1/4 cup cold water. add 1 cup hot or cold water and cook, stirring until thickened.

Give these a try. Claire

Thanks, I'll have to try it!

Hey, I noticed that the recipe is off the gluten-free Utah board...are you in UT? That's where I live.

What part of Utah are you in? I'm from Utah :D . By the base

Cin

I have used the Progresso cream of Mushroom soup. It is very good too, but has bigger mushrooms then the Campbell's. I can't get it at every grocery store though.

Monica

I'll have to try the progresso! Also, the recipes. Every now and then I miss things like hashbrowns with cream of mushroom soup and melted cheese...yum!

Cinda, I'm in SLC. I'd love to hear from someone who knows a good general practice MD, I've had a hard time finding a doctor who knows anything at all about celiac disease.

If your interested find a good gluten-free Dr. try

http://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid=22

They have 3 listings in Utah, one I see is in SLC

Linda S. Book, M.D.

Primary Childrens Hospital

Tel: (801) 588-3370

Janet Harnsberger, M.D. - Pediatric Gastroenterologist

Cottonwood Medical Tower

250 E 5770 S #330

Salt Lake City, UT 84107

Dr. Michael J. Sossenheimer

5810 So 300 East #235

Murray, Utah 84107

Unless they have changed their formulation in the last few months, Tone's has a dried mushroom that you can add to the starter recipe above. Rehydrated, these are also good for use in other kinds of recipes.

I use Progresso's Creamy Mushroom soup also....I heat it up, add 1 tbs gluten-free flour to thicken it. My mom made me green bean casserole and it was delicious!

I can NEVER find the Progresso soup at any of my stores here in MS....I called and they said they should have it but I guess it goes pretty fast. At my Kroger store thou I have been buying a creamy mushroom soup in a box? Not sure who makes it but it is gluten-free....I had to get past the color of it:)

Good Luck...I love my pot roast with taters and mushroom soup...I also ordered Onion Soup mix from the Gluten Free Pantry...It is just like the Lipton's Beefy Mushroom soup mix I used to put in my roast...Now I am going to have to make a roast this weekend!!!

Have a GREAT New Year everyone...

Brandi

Mommy to Jacob 3 years old...gluten-free since March 2005

I love cream soups,so I try to make my own.I use the recipe that's in the cook book and instead of flour I used corn starch,because at the time that's all I had handy.Cream of mushroom,cream of celery,... Websites serving Celiacs,recommend potato Starch for thickening gravies and soups.

A Betty Crocker I have says:

6 servings

3T.butter

2T. flr.use corn starch,potato starch

1t. salt

1/8 t. pepper

4C. Milk,or use part chicken broth(1-2 cups)-boil 1 min.

1C.cooked pureed vegetables or 1/2 C. cooked shredded chicken

1t.grated onion

Simmer 10 mins.- I stir the cornstarch in in the end and it thickens up better

There are a whole lot of recipes like this one-just substitute the wheat flr. with

something gluten free. Substitute the milk too,with rice milk if you can't tolerate

lactose or casein. I can ,so I eat the milk!

Lipton's Onion Soup Dried Mix is gluten free to the best of my knowlege........the others are not. I use that in my beef stew as I have done before DX. Add herbs of your choice and butter just before dishing out...so good on a cold day, with gluten-free cornbread (I add sour cream, sweet cream of corn, that I put up, sugar and mexican peppers in the small can.)

Yum, maybe tomorrow night?

Walmart in Georgia carries Progresso soups for $1.50 per can. That is a significant savings over the grocery stores here.