16 replies to this topic

#1 anerissara

anerissara

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 07:14 PM

I would love to find a gluten-free cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup...especially a concentrate...that I can use in cooking things like casseroles or rice dishes. Does one exist?
"I will say of the Lord, 'He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.'" -Psalm 91

gluten-free since January 26th, 2005
Feeling up and down, but better!

Mommy of a gluten-free 8 yr old, a 6 yr old who (much to her dismay) will be gluten-free soon and a 2 yr old who is so far symptom-free. Contemplating putting the whole family on the gluten-free diet since crumbs have become my nemisis!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 hez

hez

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 09:43 PM

I have yet to find a condensed cream of anything soup. I have found several options that work well. One is that Health Valley has cream of chicken and mushroom soups that are gluten-free. As well as a creamy mushroon soup by Progesso. I have tried this http://www.gfutah.or...Cream Soup.html and it worked great. However, not as quick as opening a can.

Hez

#3 anerissara

anerissara

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 10:12 PM

Thanks, I'll have to try it!

Hey, I noticed that the recipe is off the gluten-free Utah board...are you in UT? That's where I live.
"I will say of the Lord, 'He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.'" -Psalm 91

Mommy of a gluten-free 8 yr old, a 6 yr old who (much to her dismay) will be gluten-free soon and a 2 yr old who is so far symptom-free. Contemplating putting the whole family on the gluten-free diet since crumbs have become my nemisis!

#4 grantschoep

grantschoep

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 09:21 PM

I would love to find a gluten-free cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup...especially a concentrate...that I can use in cooking things like casseroles or rice dishes. Does one exist?

Its not a condensed mushroom soup. But Progresso(General Mills) has a "Creamy Mushroom" Soup. I actually use it for a few different casseroles. Its a bit runny yes, I will try to let it simmer down a bit. Though I usuall simmer it up with a choppped up baked potatoe and the potatoe helps absorb the excess "soup"iness of it.
"If I start fighting a war... I guarantee you'll see something new" - Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity

#5 hez

hez

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 02:12 PM

No, I don't live in Utah. I am in Colorado. I got the recipe web site of this board!

Hez

#6 Claire

Claire

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 02:50 PM

I posted the following just recentl. The one below came recently from a board member but I don't remember who it was.

CREAMED SOUP SUBSTITUTES
http://www.gfutah.or...Cream Soup.html

CREAM SOUP RECIPE STARTER

1 cup non-instant dry milk or nondairy substitute
1 cup white rice flour (i sub some of it for sweet rice)
2 tsp dried minced onion
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp gluten-free powdered chicken or veg soup base

*i add other spices like thyme, white pepper, cayenne

mix this up well and store in pantry. this makes about 8 or 9 'cans' of soup. to make cream of chicken, blend 3 to 4 tbsp of soup mix with 1/4 cup cold water. add 1 cup hot or cold water and cook, stirring until thickened.

Give these a try. Claire

#7 cinda

cinda

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 05:51 PM

Thanks, I'll have to try it!

Hey, I noticed that the recipe is off the gluten-free Utah board...are you in UT? That's where I live.

What part of Utah are you in? I'm from Utah :D . By the base
Cin
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

#8 key

key

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 07:01 AM

I have used the Progresso cream of Mushroom soup. It is very good too, but has bigger mushrooms then the Campbell's. I can't get it at every grocery store though.
Monica

#9 anerissara

anerissara

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 03:56 PM

I'll have to try the progresso! Also, the recipes. Every now and then I miss things like hashbrowns with cream of mushroom soup and melted cheese...yum!

Cinda, I'm in SLC. I'd love to hear from someone who knows a good general practice MD, I've had a hard time finding a doctor who knows anything at all about celiac disease.

#10 grantschoep

grantschoep

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 08:21 PM

If your interested find a good gluten-free Dr. try

http://www.celiac.co...html?p_catid=22

They have 3 listings in Utah, one I see is in SLC

Linda S. Book, M.D.
Primary Childrens Hospital
Tel: (801) 588-3370

Janet Harnsberger, M.D. - Pediatric Gastroenterologist
Cottonwood Medical Tower
250 E 5770 S #330
Salt Lake City, UT 84107

Dr. Michael J. Sossenheimer
5810 So 300 East #235
Murray, Utah 84107
"If I start fighting a war... I guarantee you'll see something new" - Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity

#11 cdford

cdford

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 09:30 AM

Unless they have changed their formulation in the last few months, Tone's has a dried mushroom that you can add to the starter recipe above. Rehydrated, these are also good for use in other kinds of recipes.
Donna
South Georgia
9 yrs gluten-free
...also DH, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, osteopenia, hypothyroid...

After almost 10 years, I am doing soooo much better!

#12 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 09:33 AM

I use Progresso's Creamy Mushroom soup also....I heat it up, add 1 tbs gluten-free flour to thicken it. My mom made me green bean casserole and it was delicious!

#13 JacobsMom

JacobsMom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 02:51 PM

I can NEVER find the Progresso soup at any of my stores here in MS....I called and they said they should have it but I guess it goes pretty fast. At my Kroger store thou I have been buying a creamy mushroom soup in a box? Not sure who makes it but it is gluten-free....I had to get past the color of it:)

Good Luck...I love my pot roast with taters and mushroom soup...I also ordered Onion Soup mix from the Gluten Free Pantry...It is just like the Lipton's Beefy Mushroom soup mix I used to put in my roast...Now I am going to have to make a roast this weekend!!!

Have a GREAT New Year everyone...

Brandi

Mommy to Jacob 3 years old...gluten-free since March 2005
Brandi

Mommy to Jacob gluten-free since March 2005
Mommy to Peyton...Allergic to NUTS and Asthma

#14 Candy

Candy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 06:38 PM

I love cream soups,so I try to make my own.I use the recipe that's in the cook book and instead of flour I used corn starch,because at the time that's all I had handy.Cream of mushroom,cream of celery,... Websites serving Celiacs,recommend potato Starch for thickening gravies and soups.
A Betty Crocker I have says:
6 servings
3T.butter
2T. flr.use corn starch,potato starch
1t. salt
1/8 t. pepper
4C. Milk,or use part chicken broth(1-2 cups)-boil 1 min.
1C.cooked pureed vegetables or 1/2 C. cooked shredded chicken
1t.grated onion
Simmer 10 mins.- I stir the cornstarch in in the end and it thickens up better
There are a whole lot of recipes like this one-just substitute the wheat flr. with
something gluten free. Substitute the milk too,with rice milk if you can't tolerate
lactose or casein. I can ,so I eat the milk!
I have DNA ancestry in NW.EUROPE,where CELIAC'S known to be common.

DEC. '05 TESTED POSITIVE for the Celiac GENES HLA-DQ2 , and DQ3 SUBTYPE DQ8
Celiac Negative Endoscopy-Aug.'08 - Diagnosed with Hernia and GERD(Gastric Esophageal Reflux Disease),and prescribed Acid Reducing Medication. I hadn't eaten WHEAT for a year prior to the Endoscopy-maybe that's why result was Negative. I need TTG test to determine Active Celiac Status/

Disgnosed with Sjogren's 9/19/2008- Internist referred me to Eye Doctor and Rheumatologist.

#15 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 07:16 PM

Lipton's Onion Soup Dried Mix is gluten free to the best of my knowlege........the others are not. I use that in my beef stew as I have done before DX. Add herbs of your choice and butter just before dishing out...so good on a cold day, with gluten-free cornbread (I add sour cream, sweet cream of corn, that I put up, sugar and mexican peppers in the small can.)

Yum, maybe tomorrow night?
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: