13 replies to this topic

#1 travelthomas

travelthomas

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 06:07 AM

Im wondering if anyone has used cod liver oil successfully for their muscle and joint pains?

I read where a vitamin D deficiency, and a calcium deficiency, are common with celiac patients, and the results of these deficiencies are muscle and joint pains.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_LisaB_*

Guest_LisaB_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2004 - 07:52 PM

All I can say is that my muscle and joint pain is much better since starting on a good magnesium (ionic). Infact magnesium does a lot for Celiac patients. Too much calcium can be toxic and magnesium is needed to assimilate calcium and doesn't have toxic levels...I have put links to a few good articles on other post about magnesium if you do a search you will see a lot of good discussion on it. It really makes a huge difference.

#3 travelthomas

travelthomas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 06:19 AM

Thank you Lisa,

I picked up some Now Foods Calcium, Magnesium, and Vitamin D powder, and added it to my diet. I like that it says none under other ingredients. :D

#4 Guest_LisaB_*

Guest_LisaB_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2004 - 06:43 PM

Thomas,

Now you got me looking into Cod Liver Oil and Vit D and it is really good that you got the Cal/Mag/Vit D combo (I love NOW, they are a great company). Vit D helps with S.A.D., which I suffer from in a big way and it helps with Calcium retention in the bones and many other things. Only caution is that we probably need more Magnesium than Calcium in our supplements to get caught up, many symptoms people talk about having can be a toxic Calcium build since there is so much Calcium "fortification" going on around us. But of course that depends on how long you have been eating more whole foods and staying away from processed. One article said "symptoms of magnesium deficiency such as sleep difficulties, body tension, fatigue, muscle spasms or stiffness, heart conditions, PMS, depression, dispersal, diabetes, osteoporosis, asthma, nervousness, constipation" would mean you may have to look at correcting low Magnesium levels. Long story short, sometimes what looks like a Calcium deficency is actually Calcium overload. Anywho...Cod Liver Oil is a source high in D and I always like the whole food sources so I think I am going to get some as soon as possible, thanks!

#5 Guest_LisaB_*

Guest_LisaB_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2004 - 07:31 PM

Hey, I just read something on one of the articles on D that I found and thought I would share it, it said

Individuals who have reduced ability to absorb dietary fat (fat malabsorption) may need extra vitamin D because it is a fat soluble vitamin. Some causes of fat malabsorption are pancreatic enzyme deficiency, Crohns disease, cystic fibrosis, sprue, liver disease, surgical removal of part or all of the stomach, and small bowel disease (6). Symptoms of fat malabsorption include diarrhea and greasy stools (16).

And of course Celiac! This brings me to another important thing that I have found out and posted on other threads, Pantothenic Acid (B5). We know that we don't digest fat until our intestines heal up and of course for the length of time we lived with the damage we weren't getting our lipids metabolized so we are either recovering from that or still don't have the ability to properly digest our fats. Our bodies can manufactor 2 of the 3 components needed for lipid metabolism, the 3rd is Pantothenic Acid. I found out about it by researching acne treatments and long story short, it is fabulous and besides my skin getting better it has helped so many other problems. Again, there is discussion on it indepth on other threads (especially a thread on Gallbladder Flushes) if you do a search, but I think it is something all of us need greatly, especially if your still in pain.

#6 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 08:00 PM

And now that summer is getting started, don't forget to get out in the sunshine (sans sunblock) for a few minutes a day for additional vit D production.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#7 Guest_LisaB_*

Guest_LisaB_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2004 - 09:09 PM

Yes, good point, one article I read mentioned the medical field noticing an increase in lack of Vit D due to extensive use of sunblock. Saying giving your skin at least 15 minutes of sun a day is needed for the skin to produce D.

#8 plantime

plantime

My two handsome grandsons

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 05:16 AM

I was always told to expose the bare skin of the face, hands, and forearms for 15 minutes four times a week to avoud vitamin D deficiency. It is not long enough to get sun damage. It does help the mood to improve, too! Sunlight, sunlight, in my soul today!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#9 travelthomas

travelthomas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 20 April 2004 - 06:07 AM

I also have to mention that I noticed that I get muscle cramping after staying inside because of rain. My cramps cleared up with additional sunshine and supplements. :D

#10 travelthomas

travelthomas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 08:10 AM

I found this study on cod liver oil on line:

A small study of tissue taken from knee replacement patients found lower levels of chemicals linked to the disease (arthritis) in those who took pills (cod liver oil) before surgery.

There is quite a bit of information on this subject.

#11 plantime

plantime

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 12:59 PM

I am definitely going to have to try it. The last two years have been agony on my joints!
Dessa

The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you." Numbers 6:24-25

#12 travelthomas

travelthomas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 08:33 AM

Hi Dessa,

I was wondering if you knew anything about the joint pain associated with celiac disease. When I did research on fibromialgia, I read where the joint pain was not arthritis, just sore joints. Apparently with fibromialgia, the joints are not damaged like with arthritis.

Thomas

#13 plantime

plantime

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 02:27 PM

Yes, Thomas, I had heard of that. Sadly, my joints are damaged by arthritis. The doctor ran blood tests, and found way more of the osteoarthritis proteins than a woman my age should have (according to her, anyway!). I had been told by a different doctor that I have rheumatoid arthritis, but the proteins are not in my bloodwork. Since I do not feel like I am getting aggressive treatment from my doctor, I am looking for whatever I can do to help myself. I tried glucosamine, but my joints really swelled bad and I was in extreme pain. I do not understand the reaction, but the pharmacist said it could have been an allergic reaction to shell fish. I don't have the bottle, and I can't remember the brand, so I don't even know if it was made of shellfish! I just want to feel better all over!
Dessa

#14 travelthomas

travelthomas

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 01:12 PM

Hi Dessa,

I've been using Now Foods glucosamine with some good results. Their glucosamine does come from shell fish, and the odds are that the glucosamine you took was from shell fish. There are some other products out there now that are not from shell fish. Maybe one of these might work for you. One problem with glucosamine is that it is a sugar, so if you have diabetes it could present a problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: