This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

39 And Newly Diagnosed

kray39

kray39 Newbie

Hi

Well, it's been a scary process, but here I am..39 and newly diagnosed with celiac. After my blood work, my doctor called and said that and I was like..what's that. Then I had the endoscopy and the biopsy and all has come back positive. I am having other issues with my stomach from a gastric bypass done 13 years ago and have recently started gaining weight rapidly. My doctor is in the process of consulting with a surgeon about that. In the mean time, I'm scared and a little on the intimidated side about labels and what I can and can't have. I guess I just needed anyone else to talk to who knows what I'm going through. When I tell people I have celiac disease they look at me like I have a third eye.

So if there is anyone else who can help me with this or just give a shoulder I would appreciate it.

I look forward to meeting some new people and thanks for this great forum

Kim

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

i canary Rookie

Hi Kim,

It is intimidating at first, but it gets better. More and more companies are labeling their gluten free items. For instance Wal-mart has started labeling their brand when it is gluten free. Where I live there isn't a health food store, but the local Krogers have a small health food section that have some gluten free items. And of course there is Wal-mart. There are websites with gluten free products listed. www.celiac.com I has list of safe and forbidden foods just click on site index and you will see it listed there.

It will get better. Soon you will be an expert shopper and be like a lot of us....excited to find "new" gluten free products on the shelves.

Good luck,

Regina :D

par18 Apprentice

Kim,

It's only been seven months so although I am new to this lifestyle I feel like a veteran. The choices you have today are better than yesterday and tomorrow will be better than today. Seeing the article on the front of last Friday's Wall Street Journal means we are getting noticed. The two most important items I have used to research where and what to eat are the computer and the telephone. If I have any question about any product I will look it up on the pc or call the vendor. The question I wanted answered the most when I was first diagnosed was how long before I would feel normal. Well most of the time people would give a conservative estimate of 6 mo to 2 years. This was hard to imagine. In my case it was quickly. Symptoms went away two days after starting diet. Weight came back slower but in about 2 1/2 months I was doing all the things I did before. Today I feel fine. I joined a local support group that is growing every month.( I think it has about 200 members) We had a gluten-free breakfast Saturday before last and over 100 people showed up. There are a lot of resources out there including this message board. I think the key for me was getting in a rhythm as far as the meals go. There will always be time to experiment later. Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Tom

mookie03 Contributor

Kim- welcome to the board! I have to say that this board has been completely vital to my adjustment to this new lifestyle- in just about every way. For labeling tips, recipe ideas, or just general support throughout the process, this board is an excellent resource. The people who post here are extremely knowledgable and caring and i am sure you will not only find answers but also a lot of comfort here along the way.

First just realize you are not alone, and that as you get the hang of this, it becomes pretty easy. And if figuring out the food labeling makes you nervous, you may want to start out w/ a lot of foods that are naturally gluten free - like fruit, veggies, meat, cheese, nuts, etc. Good luck, and let us know what questions you have along the way!

celiacat35 Newbie
Hi

Well, it's been a scary process, but here I am..39 and newly diagnosed with celiac. After my blood work, my doctor called and said that and I was like..what's that. Then I had the endoscopy and the biopsy and all has come back positive. I am having other issues with my stomach from a gastric bypass done 13 years ago and have recently started gaining weight rapidly. My doctor is in the process of consulting with a surgeon about that. In the mean time, I'm scared and a little on the intimidated side about labels and what I can and can't have. I guess I just needed anyone else to talk to who knows what I'm going through. When I tell people I have celiac disease they look at me like I have a third eye.

So if there is anyone else who can help me with this or just give a shoulder I would appreciate it.

I look forward to meeting some new people and thanks for this great forum

Kim

Hi there

You know I thought I was healthy because all my life I was never sick except when I was between the ages of 5 and 16 I had anemia on and off and dry skin in my feet. The reality I was sick but Idid not know it.

As I entered 17 years of age I was good looking, healthyand little skinny I played different sports and never was sick even the common flu.

I was about 32 years of age with some newly aqauired life stress,and all the sudden i devolped an Anxiety

problem and that was not me.I never knew fear even during Gulf war 1.

Well my doctor prescribed Paxil and I felt great like before,till December 2000 when I started having GI problems . Finaly I was diagnosed in the mid of 2001 with celiac sprue.

I was terrified had no clue what to do Iloved pizza and beer!!!. My doctor said the only cure is adherence to gluten-free diet which I have been on eversince.

Sorry to hear about you going through this, but I think u will do fine . Just remember "When in Dought do not eat out ". read all the labels carefully . I buy my food out of health stores and try to be carefull.

Wish the best

celiacat35

Hassan

Archived