#1 prana

prana

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 05:03 AM

Hello,
We'd like to make a deli platter for the holidays but I'm having trouble pinning down a brand of lunch meat that is gluten free. We'd like ham, turkey and possibly chicken but I find that when I try them randomly (from the deli case at my local Albertson's) that half the time I get sick. Does anyone know which brands of lunch meat are gluten free? I live in a very small town without access to any kind of health food store and it's a little late to order something online so it has to be something we can get from the regular grocery store. I really appreciate the help. Happy Holiday's all. Good luck and blessings, Prana
"In India when we meet and part we often say, "Namaste'," which means I honor the place in you where the entire universe resides, I honor the place in you of love, of light, of truth, of peace. I honor the place within you where if you are in that place in you and I am in that place in me, there is only one of us. Namaste'" - Ram Dass, Grist For the Mill

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 eeyor_fan

eeyor_fan

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 05:26 AM

Hello,
We'd like to make a deli platter for the holidays but I'm having trouble pinning down a brand of lunch meat that is gluten free. We'd like ham, turkey and possibly chicken but I find that when I try them randomly (from the deli case at my local Albertson's) that half the time I get sick. Does anyone know which brands of lunch meat are gluten free? I live in a very small town without access to any kind of health food store and it's a little late to order something online so it has to be something we can get from the regular grocery store. I really appreciate the help. Happy Holiday's all. Good luck and blessings, Prana

All Boars head is gluten-free (Checked with them in November and as of Nov. 20th their entire line went gluten-free)...also Black Bear Virginia Ham, Turkey, Smoked Ham and Bologna is gluten-free (Just make sure you get the pre packaged meat from the manufacturer because the deli slicer will contaminate the meat)....my deli guy won't even use a clean slicer because there is still too much risk of possable contamination for me)
Hugs
Bridget
I first tested positive for celiac in August 2004. Born/raised in Canada, now lives in NJ. Borderline RA and problems with GI muscle disfunction since Dec 2005...BUT FIGHTING BACK HARDER EVERY DAY!!!

Life has no dress rehersals so live each moment as if it were your last! At the end of the day it is YOU that you have to answer to. Karma and fate is what you choose it to be! Never sacrafice your dreams or beliefs. If someone truely likes you, they like you for who you are, not what they want you to be!
Bridget

#3 VydorScope

VydorScope

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 06:06 AM

Theres way to much risk of CC in a deli, unless they are CC awere/senstive. I just stick with Oscar Myer. All thier products will be clearly noted in thier ingredinets if there is any gluten in them.

- Vincent -

#4 hez

hez

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 02:09 PM

I also stopped going to the deli because of cross contamination. I use Oscar Meyer, Hillshire Farm and Kroger brands. I make sure to always read the label (it always grosses me out)!

Hez

#5 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 04:17 PM

Diestel and Applegate farms have prepacked deli meats that are safe.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#6 Guest_Mari_*

Guest_Mari_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2005 - 05:05 PM

Call me kookie, but I didn't know there were deli meats that had gluten in them. I always get my deli from the counter at my market (Whole Foods). I am asymtptomatic, so I don't know if I am ingesting gluten. Are you all telling me that I should only by prepackaged deli meat?

#7 eeyor_fan

eeyor_fan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 09:06 AM

Theres way to much risk of CC in a deli, unless they are CC awere/senstive. I just stick with Oscar Myer. All thier products will be clearly noted in thier ingredinets if there is any gluten in them.

Black Bear there was no risk...Deli Manager at Shopr rite got the pre sliced/ Pre Packaged ones from Black Bear...guarenteed gluten-free. My deli guy won't even use his slicer (no matter how clean) because he doesn't want the chance of making me sick. As long as it is sliced and packaged from manufacturer and guarenteed by them gluten-free...ther is no risk.
I first tested positive for celiac in August 2004. Born/raised in Canada, now lives in NJ. Borderline RA and problems with GI muscle disfunction since Dec 2005...BUT FIGHTING BACK HARDER EVERY DAY!!!

Life has no dress rehersals so live each moment as if it were your last! At the end of the day it is YOU that you have to answer to. Karma and fate is what you choose it to be! Never sacrafice your dreams or beliefs. If someone truely likes you, they like you for who you are, not what they want you to be!
Bridget

#8 Merika

Merika

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 07:16 PM

Call me kookie, but I didn't know there were deli meats that had gluten in them. I always get my deli from the counter at my market (Whole Foods). I am asymtptomatic, so I don't know if I am ingesting gluten. Are you all telling me that I should only by prepackaged deli meat?

I'm not an expert on this, having just converted from vegetarianism, but my understanding is that in the deli section are glazed hams and other meats with coatings and flavorings, and these can contain gluten. So, one, you'd want to check on the one you're buying, and two, the slicing machine slices all meats and doesn't get cleaned between meats/customers, so you run the risk of contamination.

Now, if you were at an old fashioned butcher, who only sliced 100% pure meats with no added nuthin's, then I would think it'd be safe. ??

Merika

#9 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 05:44 AM

hillshire farms packaged meats are gluten-free. i use the deli selects--they are gluten-free too. sara lee says all their packaged meats are gluten-free (that includes the hillshire farms etc). see the meats here: http://www.hillshire...efault.aspx?c=2
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: