This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sugar Sensitivity

Heather22

Heather22 Rookie

I am becoming ridiculously sensitive to all kinds of sugar. From one marshmallow, to a banana, I feel like I am having a heart attack. I get shaky and my heart beats throughout my entire body....my breathing also increases. I feel like I just climbed up 10 flights of stairs...and it lasts ~30 minutes.

I was wondering if anyone has tried a sugar free diet, and if so, what kind of changes have you experienced?

Maybe I am hoping for a miracle, but does anyone have any explanation for this?..other than some Celiacs become sensitive to sugar? I have seen the Dr. and he claims there is no concern. I am VERY concerned and want to request some sort of test to figure this out. Any suggestions?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast

How long have you been on the gluten free diet? Villi in the small intestine contain the enzyme sucrose, which breaks down sugar. When the villi in the small intestine are damaged due to gluten, sugar cannot be digested, which would most likely result in certain problems later on (most likely GI problems). Once the villi heal, sucrose can then be digested normally.

Heather22 Rookie
How long have you been on the gluten free diet? Villi in the small intestine contain the enzyme sucrose, which breaks down sugar. When the villi in the small intestine are damaged due to gluten, sugar cannot be digested, which would most likely result in certain problems later on (most likely GI problems). Once the villi heal, sucrose can then be digested normally.

Thanks Carrie.

That makes total sense because coincidentally, I was glutened 3 weeks ago and have recovering since. And, these past few weeks my sugar sensitivity has been getting worse. I have been gluten-free for about 3 years, but still have most of the symptoms. I couldn't care less about the diet restrictions, its just the bloating, abdominal pain and additional food sensitivities that I can't stand. Would you suggest trying a sugar free diet?....that is so super hard though....but if I need to, I will.

Carriefaith Enthusiast
Would you suggest trying a sugar free diet?....that is so super hard though....but if I need to, I will.
Maybe you could try to eliminate refined sugar from your diet and see if your health improves. Try replacing sugar with honey in recipes. Honey should be easily digested and tolerated.
CMCM Rising Star
Thanks Carrie.

That makes total sense because coincidentally, I was glutened 3 weeks ago and have recovering since. And, these past few weeks my sugar sensitivity has been getting worse. I have been gluten-free for about 3 years, but still have most of the symptoms. I couldn't care less about the diet restrictions, its just the bloating, abdominal pain and additional food sensitivities that I can't stand. Would you suggest trying a sugar free diet?....that is so super hard though....but if I need to, I will.

I am still trying to sort out all my sensitivities, but I can tell you for sure that I am also highly sensitive to sugar and I feel so much better when I keep it out of my diet. I basically do not eat any at all any more, just on very rare occasions, and once it's out of your system staying away from it isn't such a problem. I still want certain sugary things, but I don't crave anything anymore, and can do without it. Since eliminating sugar I've also found that my sense of sugar taste is really acute now, and things I've had often tend to taste too sweet, whereas in the past when I was eating a lot of sugar, it took a LOT to taste too sweet!

Heather22 Rookie

Hi,

I know what you means about having the "too sweet" syndrome. When I dieted for a bodybuilding show, I thought the oddest foods were "too sweet". When I returned to my normal diet, it was hard to determine what it was that bothered me, as I jumped right back into eating gluten-free flours, fruit, nuts and sugar. It is onl;y now that I am realizing one by one what foods aggrevate me.

For interest sake, did your weight change at all when omitting the sugar? Again, when I cut out sugar, I also cut out a lot of other foods, so it was hard to say what accounted for my change in body composition. I find now that when I have anything with sugar in it, I gain 5 lbs of water weight.

traveljunkie Rookie

Hi,

I also have problems with sugar. Mainly fatigue, and diarrhea after consuming. I usually have problems with it on a empty stomach, otherwise I can tolerate some sugar with no problems.

Charlene

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 7 years later...
whatsit Newbie

I've been gluten-free for 3 weeks, and had a fat-free mocha (and a pack of almonds) for lunch. Two hours later I was extremely sleepy for a while, and somewhat bloated. The feeling passed, and I had a cup of decaf with a teaspoon of raw sugar; now I'm horribly sleepy again, very quickly this time. I'm crossing sweets (other than fruits and a bit of semi-sweet chocolate) off my allowed foods list.

frieze Community Regular

I would check into digestive enzymes.

Brandiwine Contributor

I did this exact same thing before I knew what was wrong with me. I cut sugar out of my diet completely (was hard at the time) but I did manage to add it back to my diet later with no problems. Chocolate still gives me some D if eat to much but doesn't usually come with any other side effects. You aren't alone though I remember feeling just like that after just one bite of my sons birthday cake, I hated it and knew something was wrong even though the Doc said nothing was wrong when I got tested for diabetes.

Archived