This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is Anyone Else Tired Of Being Freezing?

jessika393

jessika393 Rookie

I'm so tired of being freezing all the time. I'm always cold! I can't ever get warm- unless I take a steaming bath and that only works for a while. The newest problem I'm having is that I'm freezing on part of my body I can be sweating down my back in the morning when I wake up. Does anyone have any helpful tips? I try to do the layering thing, but at my house, which I keep at 72', I was cold= I was even wearing long underwear! Ugh! I don't even live in the North anymore- and I'm still freezing! Sorry for going on and on! I'm just so frustrated! PS-I'm always cold in the car too- I have a heated electric blanket that I plug into the lighter! Will this ever go away? Thanks for "listeninn"! :wacko:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

traveljunkie Rookie

HI,

I'm freezing right now as I write this! <_< My hands and feet are always frozen. At night, I make my hubby come to bed when I go, so he can be my heater! I live in Canada and I can't wait for the day we move somewhere warm. I often take hot baths or go in the hot tub to warm up. I hope this goes away soon!!

Freezing in Canada :)

Charlene

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I'm cold most of the time too. I find that exercising really helps me get warm, for a few hours anyway. Also, when I am cold, I find that eating hot soups warms me up really fast.

jerseyangel Proficient

I'm cold all the time it seems--except after I've been asleep for a few hours at night. Then I wake up hot and sweaty. That, I think, has more to do with my age :(

julie5914 Contributor

I have the same thing, wake up hot as heck, freezing the rest of the day, coldest at night. It's like I can't produce my own heat. People always say put on more clothes, but that only works if you assume your body produces heat, which mine doesn't! I need an outside source, like an electric blanket (heaters are nice but when they turn off I get even colder). Drinking or eating something warm works for a while, but then I'm cold again. I will pay extra to keep my house at 70, I can't stand it at less than that without walking around in an electric blanket with gloves on! I don't think people realize how awful it is to be that cold. You just can't get away from it. And in the car, yeah, I always have a blanket, but then my little face is cold. One day my husband will find at home with gloves and a ski mask on! I am seriously thinking of buying a huge heating lamp for reptiles because that is what my body seems to think I am.

mommida Enthusiast

Can you get a humidifier? The more moisture in the air makes the same temperature feel warmer. Keep your skin well moisturized.

Laura

Nantzie Collaborator

I get really cold too. I call it being cold all the way down to my bones. It almost hurts to be that cold. I mever felt like I produced my own body heat either. But since having kids I alternate between being that cold to being totally hot and sweaty. I think my hormones are still off. I have a cousin who went through menopause when she was 32, so there's always that possibility. Lovely. I'm going to ask about it after I get this whole gluten thing figured out.

But for the most part, I'm cold. I have my heater set at 74. I told my husband when we got married, that I can do without most things, but heat wasn't one of them.

My mom used to keep the heater at 60 or 65 when I was growing up and just tell me to put on a sweater. It never helped. I think it's one of those things that only helps if you produce your own heat. The sweater would make me sweat, but not make me warm. So then not only was I cold, I was sweaty too. Yuck. Same thing with slippers. I'd rather have cold feet than cold and sweaty feet.

I can't even imagine feeling like this and living in Canada. Or anywhere that it snows. I'm freezing my toosh off in California. And it's supposed to be 63 today. :rolleyes:

Nancy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest kim07
I get really cold too. I call it being cold all the way down to my bones. It almost hurts to be that cold. I mever felt like I produced my own body heat either. But since having kids I alternate between being that cold to being totally hot and sweaty. I think my hormones are still off. I have a cousin who went through menopause when she was 32, so there's always that possibility. Lovely. I'm going to ask about it after I get this whole gluten thing figured out.

But for the most part, I'm cold. I have my heater set at 74. I told my husband when we got married, that I can do without most things, but heat wasn't one of them.

My mom used to keep the heater at 60 or 65 when I was growing up and just tell me to put on a sweater. It never helped. I think it's one of those things that only helps if you produce your own heat. The sweater would make me sweat, but not make me warm. So then not only was I cold, I was sweaty too. Yuck. Same thing with slippers. I'd rather have cold feet than cold and sweaty feet.

I can't even imagine feeling like this and living in Canada. Or anywhere that it snows. I'm freezing my toosh off in California. And it's supposed to be 63 today. :rolleyes:

Nancy

Oh Yes, the Cold,

My husband is the exact opposite of me, I swear he could survive perfectly fine in the Artic. I'm always cold too, and I live in Texas. It has been an unusually warm winter here, except for one week-end with some sleet and that was it. I don't know what I would do without my heating pads. I'm cold mostly at night, and I have 2 heating pads, the problem is the dogs like my heating pads as well, so they end up sleeping on top of me, which actually keeps me even warmer so I guess it works out.

My poor husband will have dreams of slowly catching on fire, and stuff like that because my heating pad will accidently get too close to him. It's very interesting!

I have always been cold, I hate it. I don't know if it's just me or if it's related to the disease. It does sound like it could be related sense so many of you experience the same thing.

Kim07 :)

i canary Rookie

I thought I was the only one. I freeze during the day and wake up sweating at night. I was feeling a little weird about it. At work when I'm at my desk I use a space heater (I've been known to turn in on in July) and wear a shawl or my winter coat. They think I'm nuts at work. :)

By the way I live in Tennessee - I don't want to even imagine how cold I would get in Canada!

Rusla Enthusiast

well Nantzie, sometimes in Canada (depends where you live), just pretend you have gone to sleep in your freezer. In BC which is much warmer than anywhere else you just think you have gone to sleep in San Francisco.

I have always been cold, ever since I was a kid. I always have a blanket on me when I am laying on the couch or sitting in my chair. I am a little better since I have been on Synthroid and gone gluten-free. I can honestly say that I was never cold in Cuba when I went there and I hope not be cold in Jamaica when I go there.

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Wow, I just came home from our work supper. I came into our house and thought, better leave your jacket on, because it's so cold. I sat down in front of the computer and came to this forum and the first thing I read is this. Haha :lol: , yeah, I'm always cold, too. I guess, I'll print this out for my hubby and my in-laws, cause my mil thinks I'm that cold, cause I'm skinny. Yeah, right. So why the heck are all thick people I know cold, too??? I really think, it has something to do with this disease. And I even think, I read this somewhere a couple of months ago, that our hot-cold feeling is messed up??? Maybe I can find this again. If I find it, I post it here...

Hugs, Stef

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I can't even imagine feeling like this and living in Canada. Or anywhere that it snows. I'm freezing my toosh off in California. And it's supposed to be 63 today.

Where I live in Canada, it can get pretty cold sometimes, like -25C or colder and that's without the windchill. Brrrr. Outside fashion and style no longer exist for me once winter hits :) When it gets super cold outside, I will wear my winter coat, snowpants, winter boots, a ski mask, mittens or gloves, a hat, a scarf, plus my hood. When I'm all bundled up like that, I don't get cold very easily! That's how I deal with the cold! Every year though, I'm surprized at the number of people around here that wear like a spring or fall jacket when the temperature is around -20C. They are braver than I am!

traveljunkie Rookie

I know what you mean, Carrie. I'm sure you've seen pics on the news, how some Calgarian's wear shorts in the middle of Feb. They're crazy. I just bought a truck with heated seats! :rolleyes: Ahhh...bring on winter.

Two Christmas's ago we went to Mexico, and I still was cold at night. I'll pack differently next time!

Charlene

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I know what you mean, Carrie. I'm sure you've seen pics on the news, how some Calgarian's wear shorts in the middle of Feb. They're crazy.
Yeah, that is crazy! I see that once in awhile around here too, more t-shirts than shorts though. Shorts usually make an appearance around here during the winter thaws, when the temperature goes from around -20 to +10.
jkmunchkin Rising Star

I totally thought the fact that I'm usually freezing during the day but am sweating to death while I'm sleeping was related to my thyroid disorder. Does this have something to do with the celiac?

My feet are always freezing (I have them wrapped around a blanket right now). Probably doesn't help that I hate to wear socks. Even during the summer I always wear a sweatshirt in the house. I just assumed I was always cold because I'm so thin and like I said thought the sweating at night was because of my thyroid.

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast
Even during the summer I always wear a sweatshirt in the house. I just assumed I was always cold because I'm so thin and like I said thought the sweating at night was because of my thyroid.

Boy, does this sound familiar. And I already thought, that I maybe also have thyroid problems, because of having the same symptoms than some of you people on here with thyroid problems. It never occurred to me, that this as well might be the other way around. Maybe this doesn't mean, that I have thyroid problems, maybe this just means, that it's a for celiac typical symptom... :blink:

nogluten- Newbie

I'm always cold too. I dress in layers, wear Wristies and take fish oil with gla capsules and vitamin e occasionally. That seems to warm me up...sometimes to the point of being too hot. I've been freezing my whole life too and would love to change that. My thyroid has been checked a hundred times but it's good.

DonnaD Apprentice
I'm always cold too. I dress in layers, wear Wristies and take fish oil with gla capsules and vitamin e occasionally. That seems to warm me up...sometimes to the point of being too hot. I've been freezing my whole life too and would love to change that. My thyroid has been checked a hundred times but it's good.

It is normally just my hands and feet that are freezing. When I was working I was famous for being cold, I even left one job because of the lack of heat in the office!!!We are moving to France mainly because I can't stand the cold! I do find that if I take kelp tablets (3 a day) that my feet are not so cold. I wonder if it is the iodine that helps and maybe I have a problem with my thyroid? I'm going to get that checked out soon

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Geez, and I thought this was an after effect of menopause. I had the worst hot flash ever over 3 years ago and never have them anymore. I am rarely comfortable, usually too warm or too cold--never just fine. I wake very warm at night too. I come home from work and I cant get warm until I crawl into bed. I also keep my home at 70 and I used to keep it at 68. I remember after my mom when through menopause, she was always hot, so I thought it strange that I get cold. BUT, I never really connected it to celiacs. Deb

Guest nini

my husband will not let me turn the thermostat over 68 and we use space heaters and I dress in layers but I am absolutely FREEZING all the time now. Before going gluten-free I used to be hot all the time, even on the coldest day of winter, but now, OH NO... I am freezing all the time. They think I'm crazy, but I just can't get warm. I thought it was because I've lost 95 pounds and don't have the insulation that I used to have, but after reading all these posts I'm wondering if it's something else.

jessika393 Rookie

WOW! It seems we are all having temperature problems!!! I've had my thyroid checked like many of you and it's coming up negative. I'm freezing as I type!!!!!! What should we dooooooo? :blink:

traveljunkie Rookie
WOW! It seems we are all having temperature problems!!! I've had my thyroid checked like many of you and it's coming up negative. I'm freezing as I type!!!!!! What should we dooooooo? :blink:

MOve to Florida! :) lol

Charlene

debbiewil Rookie

oh, yeah, me too. And my house doesn't have air conditioning, and all my friends think I'm crazy and wonder how I stand it in the middle of summer - that's the only time I'm comfortable. :D

Debbie

Merika Contributor

In winter, I'm cold too - and I live in Los Angeles! For the last two years I've slept with a heating pad, at least until i warm up. Last winter a nutritionist advised me to take some very natural probiotics that felt like it nearly killed me and I have never been so icy bone-cold in my life for the 3 days I took them. :o

I've had my thyroid checked and it's normal. I can't handle heat in the summer at all.

nogluten- please be sure your vitamin e pills are gluten free (it is sometimes derived from wheat germ...)

Merika

Guest gfinnebraska

Nice to hear I am not the only one always cold. The guys I work with make fun of me because I am always cold!! I bought a space heater to keep under my desk, and I use blankets at home. :) I sleep with socks on at night too for extra warmth. The funny thing is, when I was younger and non-celiac, I was known for always being hot!! Hmmm... I thought it was just my "age" making me cold. Well, whatever it is, I wish it would go away so I could be warm again!!! :blink:

Archived