This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Made Sugar Cookies!

key

key Contributor

Ok, I am SO happy I think I am glowing. I was going to make regular sugar cookies for my older kids to ice and put sprinkles on, but figured I better at least try to start learning stuff like this, because my baby that has celiac is 21 months and eventually will want some too. So I made the recipe in Bette Hagman's cookbook and they actually turned out. I took a picture of my little guy enjoying his. NO one, but a mom or someone with celiac would understand such excitement over something that simple! Anyway, I have had alot of stuff just turn out second rate from the real thing. Usually my motto has been, just don't even bother baking something gluten free, because it won't be as good, but these were excellent. I couldn't tell a difference. THere is hope!!!!!

I have not been a fan of stuff baked with Millet flour or the bean flours. THey are too strong for me. THe Millet was a bit gritty. Made chocolate chip cookies with bean flour once and they were thin and tasted off. This is the first cookie I have made that has turned out.

Ok, I will quit now!! LOL!

Just thought someone else might want to give it a try.

MOnica

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lonewolf Collaborator

I'm glad they worked for you! I haven't tried sugar cookies yet, but I'm planning to sometime before Christmas. (Yikes, that should be like tomorrow!) Don't give up on the other types of cookies. I use the Bette Hagman flour recipe, with a little xanthan gum and make all my cookies that way. I don't like millet or bean flour either, but this really does work well.

Liz

elisabet Contributor

can you please post the recipe here?

jenvan Collaborator

Monica-

great news! congrats :) gluten-free baking successes are no small triumph to be either !

Guest nini

I use The Gluten Free Pantry's Old Fashioned Cake and Cookie Mix to make sugar cookies every year, the recipe is on their website, and they are AWESOME!!!!!

key Contributor

I saw the Gluten free pantry recipe and thought about using it and saw another one someone posted on here that they said was very good(it was similar to the one I used). Anyway, I was happy with them. I will try and post the recipe later, but the recipe is in one of Bette Hagman's cookbooks. I only have one of her cookbooks.

Monica

jerseyangel Proficient

I used this recipe for sugar cookies and they were great--my family liked them as well as the ones with wheat--

SUGAR COOKIES

2 cups shortening

2 cups sugar

4 eggs

6 cups rice flour blend

3 tsp. xanthan gum

4 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. salt

In large bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add dry ingerdients and mix well. Divide in half, form dough into balls and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Roll out as desired. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.

RICE FLOUR BLEND

6 cups rice flour

2 cups potato starch

1 cup tapioca flour

FROSTING

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup shortening

4 cups 10x sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

Enough milk or substitute to get desired spreading consistancy

Beat butter and shortening. Add vanilla. Beat in sugar. Add milk a little at a time.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived