This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Naturally gluten-free Meal Ideas

Guest nini

Guest nini

Naturally Gluten Free Menu Suggestions

Any fresh fruit and vegetables, Any whole, unadulterated meats: Fish, Beef, Chicken, Turkey, Pork, Rice, Beans, Potatoes, Whole Cheeses (American, Cheddar, Swiss, mozzarella, Cream Cheese, etc...)

cook with pure butter, olive oil, canola oil, corn oil and pure seasonings. McCormick will clearly label Wheat, oats, Barley, or Rye) salt and pepper. Hellemans Real Mayonnaise, French's Mustard.

Breakfast: Fresh fruit , Yoplait yogurt (read labels but most Yoplait is gluten-free), Scrambled Eggs, Grits, Post Fruity Pebbles or Cocoa Pebbles in a bowl w/ milk, Bacon and Sausage (Hormel lists safe ones on their website), Hash Browns (Ore Ida and Cascadian Farms label clearly if there is Wheat, Oats, Barley, or Rye), Omelets made with eggs, and cheese and whatever fresh veggies you like (and sausage if gluten-free)

Lunch: Salads with all kinds of toppings like, tuna fish (read labels), chicken, Hormel pepperoni, gluten-free deli meats (most Boar's Head meats are safe just ask deli to clean slicer before slicing yours), Hard Boiled Eggs, Cooked ground beef... (Kraft Salad dressings will be clearly labeled if there is WBRO and Annie's Naturals has some awesome dressings, the ones that are gluten-free are clearly labeled gluten-free on the back of the bottle)

Dinty Moore Beef Stew, Hormel Beanies and Weenies, Oscar Meyer or Applegate Farms Hot Dogs wrapped in Mission Corn Tortillas with American Cheese, Baked potato stuffed with steamed broccoli and melted cheddar cheese and Hormel bacon bits, Nachos made with Tostitos or Santitas chips, and shredded cheddar cheese.

Dinner: Baked Chicken, Pork Chops, Steaks, Tacos, (Ortega and Old El Paso Corn Taco Shells are safe), Enchiladas made with Chicken, Beef, Refried Beans or just cheese (Pace Enchilada Sauce is safe), Homemade Chili, Fish: broiled baked or grilled, Shepherd's Pie (mashed potatoes, ground beef, veggies, cheese), Steamed veggies and steamed rice with a meat or without, Baked Ham (do not buy pre glazed hams), Turkey, Oven Fried Chicken using instant Mashed potato flakes and seasonings, Fried fish fillets using pure corn meal as your coating (dip in egg, roll in cornmeal and seasonings), Pot Roast with pork or beef carrots potatoes mushrooms onions and seasonings cooked in oven roasting bag or in Crock Pot.

Snacks: Fresh Fruit, Fresh Veggies, Frito Lay's Stax, Cheetos, Fritos, Tostitos, Funyons, Popcorn (air popped is best but if you like microwave popcorn there are several brands that are safe always check labels or contact the company), Yogurt (Yoplait will clearly label WOBR) Cheeses

Desserts: Philly Swirl Italian Ice Cups and Italian Ice sticks, Mayfield Brown Cow and Fudge Pops, Hershey's chocoate bars, Hershey's kisses, M&M's, Baked Sweet Potatoes with Cinnamon and Brown Sugar and butter, Baked Apples

I hope this gives you some ideas, this is just a small sample of foods that are naturally gluten free. Read labels and if you think something MAY be safe, contact the company to verify. Remember, ingredients do change so always read labels, the products listed are only examples, I'm sure there are other brands that may be safe too, again, contact the manufacturer for verification of gluten-free status. Also, many foreign dishes may be naturally gluten free as well, don't be afraid to experiment with new recipes. Another tip: Cook in large quantities, put leftovers into individual sized reusable/disposable containers and freeze for quick microwaveable meals.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

chrissy Collaborator
Naturally Gluten Free Menu Suggestions

Any fresh fruit and vegetables, Any whole, unadulterated meats: Fish, Beef, Chicken, Turkey, Pork, Rice, Beans, Potatoes, Whole Cheeses (American, Cheddar, Swiss, mozzarella, Cream Cheese, etc...)

cook with pure butter, olive oil, canola oil, corn oil and pure seasonings. McCormick will clearly label Wheat, oats, Barley, or Rye) salt and pepper. Hellemans Real Mayonnaise, French's Mustard.

Breakfast: Fresh fruit , Yoplait yogurt (read labels but most Yoplait is gluten-free), Scrambled Eggs, Grits, Post Fruity Pebbles or Cocoa Pebbles in a bowl w/ milk, Bacon and Sausage (Hormel lists safe ones on their website), Hash Browns (Ore Ida and Cascadian Farms label clearly if there is Wheat, Oats, Barley, or Rye), Omelets made with eggs, and cheese and whatever fresh veggies you like (and sausage if gluten-free)

Lunch: Salads with all kinds of toppings like, tuna fish (read labels), chicken, Hormel pepperoni, gluten-free deli meats (most Boar's Head meats are safe just ask deli to clean slicer before slicing yours), Hard Boiled Eggs, Cooked ground beef... (Kraft Salad dressings will be clearly labeled if there is WBRO and Annie's Naturals has some awesome dressings, the ones that are gluten-free are clearly labeled gluten-free on the back of the bottle)

Dinty Moore Beef Stew, Hormel Beanies and Weenies, Oscar Meyer or Applegate Farms Hot Dogs wrapped in Mission Corn Tortillas with American Cheese, Baked potato stuffed with steamed broccoli and melted cheddar cheese and Hormel bacon bits, Nachos made with Tostitos or Santitas chips, and shredded cheddar cheese.

Dinner: Baked Chicken, Pork Chops, Steaks, Tacos, (Ortega and Old El Paso Corn Taco Shells are safe), Enchiladas made with Chicken, Beef, Refried Beans or just cheese (Pace Enchilada Sauce is safe), Homemade Chili, Fish: broiled baked or grilled, Shepherd's Pie (mashed potatoes, ground beef, veggies, cheese), Steamed veggies and steamed rice with a meat or without, Baked Ham (do not buy pre glazed hams), Turkey, Oven Fried Chicken using instant Mashed potato flakes and seasonings, Fried fish fillets using pure corn meal as your coating (dip in egg, roll in cornmeal and seasonings), Pot Roast with pork or beef carrots potatoes mushrooms onions and seasonings cooked in oven roasting bag or in Crock Pot.

Snacks: Fresh Fruit, Fresh Veggies, Frito Lay's Stax, Cheetos, Fritos, Tostitos, Funyons, Popcorn (air popped is best but if you like microwave popcorn there are several brands that are safe always check labels or contact the company), Yogurt (Yoplait will clearly label WOBR) Cheeses

Desserts: Philly Swirl Italian Ice Cups and Italian Ice sticks, Mayfield Brown Cow and Fudge Pops, Hershey's chocoate bars, Hershey's kisses, M&M's, Baked Sweet Potatoes with Cinnamon and Brown Sugar and butter, Baked Apples

I hope this gives you some ideas, this is just a small sample of foods that are naturally gluten free. Read labels and if you think something MAY be safe, contact the company to verify. Remember, ingredients do change so always read labels, the products listed are only examples, I'm sure there are other brands that may be safe too, again, contact the manufacturer for verification of gluten-free status. Also, many foreign dishes may be naturally gluten free as well, don't be afraid to experiment with new recipes. Another tip: Cook in large quantities, put leftovers into individual sized reusable/disposable containers and freeze for quick microwaveable meals.

thanks---it sure makes it easier when you are given suggestions of what you CAN eat rather than what you CAN'T eat.

christine

Jnkmnky Collaborator

All good ideas.

Guest nini

if anyone else has some ideas that I didn't mention, please feel free to add them to this list.

I agree that it is much easier if you know what you can eat rather than just what you can't. I try to focus on what I can have whenever I start feeling sorry for myself.

lonewolf Collaborator

Yum! Thanks for starting this thread!

One of my favorite dinners is Curried Chicken with rice. We also like to do a Baked Potato bar, Lentil/Curry soup, Black Bean soup, Chicken and Rice soup, "Camper Stew", Chicken Stew, Chicken Ranchero (chicken simmered in enchilada sauce, served over rice with sour cream).

My favorite dessert: Sharon's Coconut Sorbet from Trader Joe's. It's casein free too!.

Our favorite company meal is a baked potato bar (have guests bring things like sour cream, butter, salsa, things that you KNOW are safe and will be in packages so you can read the labels to be sure) and an ice cream sundae bar for dessert, with regular ice cream and sorbet for those of us off dairy. No one even realizes it's a gluten-free meal! I did this for a large dinner party (about 25 women) and everyone loved it.

Liz

Guest nini

Those are some awesome ideas Liz! I love the idea of a potato bar for a dinner for company!

That reminds me... My mom used to do an Indian Curry dish and I'm sure it can easily be made gluten free... curried chicken, rice, and all kinds of toppings, peanuts, raisins, shredded coconut, diced onions and peppers, tomatoes... I need to ask her what all went into this dish... I remember it was a lot of fun with company...

OK, I know it had Chutney with it, next post is recipe for Chutney

Guest nini

End-of-the Harvest Chutney

1 cup prunes

1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar

2 cups brown sugar

1 teaspoon coriander seeds, ground

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/8 to 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

3 medium-sized (crisp) apples, peeled, cored and chopped

1 cup currants, chopped

1 cup onions, chopped

2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped

1. Cover the dried prunes with water and boil for 10 minutes. Drain and chop.
  2. Combine vinegar, sugar, coriander, cinnamon, salt and pepper in an enameled or stainless steel pan. Heat to boiling: add prunes, apples, currants, onions and tomatoes.
  3. Cover and boil stirring frequently with a wooden spoon for about 20 to 30 minutes.
  4. Pour into pint jars, use two piece lids and adjust lids and process for 15 minutes.

Makes 2 pints.

Note: This recipe can be doubled or tripled with very good results.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lonewolf Collaborator

Mmmm, the chutney looks good!

One more idea - what I'm making for dinner tonight! Mexican Lasagne - Use corn tortillas instead of noodles, garlic and chili powder instead of italian seasoning in the meat and sauce, maybe a little cumin too. Layer like lasagne, with whatever type of cheese you can eat, or you can leave it out. I use goat cheddar and sheep milk romano on half and regular cheese on the other half. (Half of us can handle cow's milk, half can't.)

Liz

Guest nini
Mmmm, the chutney looks good!

One more idea - what I'm making for dinner tonight! Mexican Lasagne - Use corn tortillas instead of noodles, garlic and chili powder instead of italian seasoning in the meat and sauce, maybe a little cumin too. Layer like lasagne, with whatever type of cheese you can eat, or you can leave it out. I use goat cheddar and sheep milk romano on half and regular cheese on the other half. (Half of us can handle cow's milk, half can't.)

Liz

OOOOOOH That looks yummy too!!!

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

I make "Bronco's Mexican Suprise"

Instead of Corn Tortillas, use Fritos or Tortilla Chips

Then alternate layers of ground beef, beans, cheese, salsa

Yum Yum!!

Guest CD_Surviver

at my house we call it special chicken because my mom made it up night.

ok you will need skinless boneless chicken breasts and you will cut them in half the long way

you will also need cream cheese, bacon, celery, onion, butter, and rice.

with the chicken breast you will put cream cheese in the middle and rap it up then put the bacon around that and put it in an oven safe dish. now you will take the onion and celery and chop them up in to small pieces. and put them into a frying pan with some butter and saute them autil golden. then pour over the chicken and back at 350 for about an hour or intile done. while that is cooking make the rice as usaul. then when it is done there will be a souse at the bottem of the baking dish this gets poured over the rice and then you can eat we like to make asaugus to go with it.

any questions just let me know

Lauren

Archived