This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ingesting Gluten, But Where From?

Guest gillian502

Guest gillian502

After 7 months on the diet, I am showing high antibodies in my blood, and today and I had a diarrhea attack for the first time in a long time. I have had 2 celiac disease "experts" review my case, and they both agree I am "getting gluten from somewhere." I have absolutely no clue as to where from, and I'd like to post my usual food choices below to see if perhaps anyone sees anything that I should not be eating, or that others may have had reactions to. Thanks!

Typical Diet:

Chicken, Fish, Hamburger meat, Steak, Turkey Cutlets

Lundberg Brand White Rice, Brown Rice

Fresh Green Beans, fresh Carrots, fresh Potatoes, fresh Yams

Trader Joe's Brand Applesauce

fresh Cucumbers

Mother's Brand Rice Cakes

Smucker's Natural Peanut Butter

Trader Joe's Brand Jelly

Pocono Brand Kasha Hot Cereal

Ballpark Brand 100% Beef HotDogs

HerbOx Brand Chicken Boullion Cubes

Vlasik Dill Pickles

Safeway Brand Jello

Fresh Bananas, Pears

Condiments:

Giant Brand Ketchup

Sea Salt (Whole Foods)

McCormick Pepper

Trader Joe's Apple Cider Vinegar

Corn Oil (for cooking)

Beverages:

Sprite

Mountain Dew

Medications:

Modicon Brand Birth Control Pill

Prevacid or Aciphex

Oxycodone

Pamprin Tablets

Tylenol Caplets

Gavison Tablets

That's about it. That's everything I ingest, and the doctors are positive something contains gluten. I've called manufacturers about many of these items to make certain they are gluten-free. As far as cross-contamination, I use a separate toaster, no one dips in my PB or Jelly jars, and I have my own skillet and pans. There is no reason I can see for this diarrhea, and I'd really love some help! Thanks for taking time to read all this!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SteveW Rookie

hI gILLIAN

Have you checked your

Toothpaste

Mouthwash

Dental Floss

Hand Soaps

Dishwashing Liquid

Lotions?

I can't be for sure but a few things stand out are the pre made things

Hotdogs-does anyone really know what

terri Contributor

Hi!

You might want to check what kind of vinegar the pickles are in, does the hamburger contain fillers, does the Herb Ox bouillon contain MSG, Kasha cereal is made from Buckwheat but may be processed in a factory that produces wheat products on the same lines, and make sure the apple cider vinegar is not "flavored " but is really apple cider vinegar. Perhaps one of these is your unknowing culprit?

Good luck!!

Connie R-E Apprentice

Hi Gillian,

I agree with Terri on checking into the hamburger. Places like Walmart put in questionable flavorings....

And, in his younger years, my husband worked in a grocery store's meat department. His boss would regurally add bread crumbs to the 70% hamburger!!!! :o Can you imagiane?!!!!

I don't remember which store, but any could do something like that!

Just wanted to add my 2 cents!

Connie

PS Are you kissing someone who isn't gluten-free? B)

lauradawn Explorer

Is it possible that you have gotten cross contaimination somewhere, and it's not actually the food you are eating? Maybe like with the Kosha possibly contaminated, or even something at home.

As far as the vinegar and MSG I was under the impression that the MSG was not a threat is made in the us. With the vinegar they have changed the orginial thinking that it was unsafe to that it is safe.....

If this is incorrect I would love for someone to correct me. That's my understanding though.

lauradawn Explorer

Also, what about any mints or gum or snacky things like that. Sometimes it's easy to forget those things.

plantime Contributor

Check your labels for things like maltodextrin and starch. A lot of cereals are cross-contaminated in the factory, so you won't find it on the label. Rice sometimes has field contamination. I like Sam's Choice all beef hot dogs!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

terri Contributor

Almost all vinegars are safe except those that are malt vinegars. Some salad dressings use malt vinegars. MSG is supposedly ok if made in the US but will appear on most avoid lists for celiacs as many react to it. I know I sure do! I have found Better than Bouillon brand to work great when chicken broth or bouillion is needed in a recipe. I called them and they are gluten free and MSG free. Expensive though. I believe it is Ken's Steak House salad dressings that use the malt vinegar in all their products. It is also my understanding that maltodextrin is safe for Celiacs....

It's so hard sometimes!

Guest gillian502

Thanks so much for the replies, I will again check the meds, and call some manufacturers again to double check all that I'm eating, one by one. There's a culprit somewhere! As far as the kissing, don't I wish I was seeing someone to smooch with right now, gluten-free or not! :P

YankeeDB Contributor

Envelopes? Stamps? Communion wafers?

Guest gillian502

Nope, none of the above. I haven't checked my dental floss yet, but even if it does have gluten could such a tiny amount really keep my antibodies at as high of a level as before the diet? That's hard to believe, but maybe. I take Tylenol every day and the birth control pill, but both of those have told me no gluten in their products. I wonder. The applesauce I eat is pure apples, unsweetened, and the hot dogs I just added after my blood test, so that's not it. I guess I should check the meats again, but will they say right on the front of the package if they contain anything other than pure meat?

gfteen Rookie

The term "turkey cutlet" sounds suspicious. Are you very sure bread is not added? In my experience, anything that is called a cutlet (turkey, veal, etc.) uses bread as a filler or coating. Good luck, we share your frustration.

GFdoc Apprentice

Gillian - I was advised by the Univ. of Chicago Celiac Program that it can take a full year for the antibodies to drop after going gluten-free. Also make sure that your docs are checking the correct followup tests (they should be using the antigliadin antibodies for monitoring response to the diet). Don't panic, and don't give up!

Archived