This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Casein Intolerance

covsooze

covsooze Enthusiast

is casein the same as lactose? How do you get tested for casein intolerance? I suspect I may have problems with dairy and am wondering, should I wait until I've been gluten-free for a while or cut it out now? Would cutting it out now affect my biopsy results in any way?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenvan Collaborator

Hi there! Below I have pasted a recent post I made on the diff. of lactose and casein intolerance. If dairy/casein bothers you, go ahead and cut it out. It shouldn't affect the results of your biopsy for Celiac. If you are wanting to be officially tested for casein intolerance, you can order tests thru the following 2 labs. I used Great Plains (they billed my insurance), and many have used York:

Open Original Shared Link

Difference--basically, lactose intolerance means your body has trouble digesting lactose, which is the form of sugar present in milk. That goes for most of the population once they reach a certain age, and especially for Celiacs, b/c as we lose our villi, we lose the part of our intestines that secretes the lactase enzyme to break down lactose. A dairy/casein intolerance is an intolerance to casein, the protein in milk, similar to how gluten in the protein in meat and your body's immune symptom reacts to it. Usually, but not always, lactose intolerance presents itself in GI type symptoms--gas, bloating etc, and casein intolerance can present GI symptoms as well as other symptoms like respiratory problems, itchy etc. So, if someone has a casein intolerance, drinking a lactose free milk will still give them problems.

I am def. casein intolerant, and did have an intolerance test done. My biggest issue with casein/dairy is constipation. It definitely has that effect on me. I wasn't sure, so I kept a food journal and confirmed it that way.

This list is long--but it is a helpful list of word dairy can hide under in a food label:

ammonium caseinate

artificial butter flavor

butter

butter fat

butter solids/fat

butter oil

buttermilk

calcium caseinate

caramel color

caramel flavoring

casein

caseinate

cheese

condensed milk

cottage cheese

cream

cream curds

custard

delactosed whey

demineralized whey

dry milk

dry milk solids

evaporated milk

flavoring (this may contain milk products, so make sure it is dairy free)

ghee

goat's milk

half-and-half

high protein flour

hydrolysates

hydrolyzed casein

hydrolyzed milk protein

iron caseinate

lactalbumin

lactalbumin phosphate

lactate

lactic acid

lactoferrin

lactoglobulin

lactose

lactulose

low-fat milk

magnesium caseinate

malted milk

margarine (this may contain milk products so make sure it is dairy free)

milk

milk derivative

milk fat

milk powder

milk protein

milk solids

natural flavoring

nonfat milk

nougat

opta

potassium caseinate

powdered milk

protein (this ingredient could be milk protein so check to be sure)

rennet casein

Simplesse

skimmed milk

sodium caseinate

sour cream

sour cream solids

sour milk solids

whey

whey powder

whey protein concentrate

whey protein hydrolysate

whole milk

yogurt

zinc caseinate

DonnaD Apprentice
Hi there! Below I have pasted a recent post I made on the diff. of lactose and casein intolerance. If dairy/casein bothers you, go ahead and cut it out. It shouldn't affect the results of your biopsy for Celiac. If you are wanting to be officially tested for casein intolerance, you can order tests thru the following 2 labs. I used Great Plains (they billed my insurance), and many have used York:

Difference--basically, lactose intolerance means your body has trouble digesting lactose, which is the form of sugar present in milk. That goes for most of the population once they reach a certain age, and especially for Celiacs, b/c as we lose our villi, we lose the part of our intestines that secretes the lactase enzyme to break down lactose. A dairy/casein intolerance is an intolerance to casein, the protein in milk, similar to how gluten in the protein in meat and your body's immune symptom reacts to it. Usually, but not always, lactose intolerance presents itself in GI type symptoms--gas, bloating etc, and casein intolerance can present GI symptoms as well as other symptoms like respiratory problems, itchy etc. So, if someone has a casein intolerance, drinking a lactose free milk will still give them problems.

I am def. casein intolerant, and did have an intolerance test done. My biggest issue with casein/dairy is constipation. It definitely has that effect on me. I wasn't sure, so I kept a food journal and confirmed it that way.

This list is long--but it is a helpful list of word dairy can hide under in a food label:

ammonium caseinate

artificial butter flavor

butter

butter fat

butter solids/fat

butter oil

buttermilk

calcium caseinate

caramel color

caramel flavoring

casein

caseinate

cheese

condensed milk

cottage cheese

cream

cream curds

custard

delactosed whey

demineralized whey

dry milk

dry milk solids

evaporated milk

flavoring (this may contain milk products, so make sure it is dairy free)

ghee

goat's milk

half-and-half

high protein flour

hydrolysates

hydrolyzed casein

hydrolyzed milk protein

iron caseinate

lactalbumin

lactalbumin phosphate

lactate

lactic acid

lactoferrin

lactoglobulin

lactose

lactulose

low-fat milk

magnesium caseinate

malted milk

margarine (this may contain milk products so make sure it is dairy free)

milk

milk derivative

milk fat

milk powder

milk protein

milk solids

natural flavoring

nonfat milk

nougat

opta

potassium caseinate

powdered milk

protein (this ingredient could be milk protein so check to be sure)

rennet casein

Simplesse

skimmed milk

sodium caseinate

sour cream

sour cream solids

sour milk solids

whey

whey powder

whey protein concentrate

whey protein hydrolysate

whole milk

yogurt

zinc caseinate

That is really interesting, I tested positive to casein. I had allergy tested milk intolerant so never have cows milk products (I get Asthma and itchy skin) but I have continued to have a small amount of goats milk mainly in sauces and goats butter. I have suspected something else was a problem as being gluten-free for a while now I certainly have some days 'better' than others. I had assumed that the goats products were OK is the chemical structure of the protein very similar?. I had also wondered about soy milk. I think a spot of detective work after christmas looks possible!

tarnalberry Community Regular
I had assumed that the goats products were OK is the chemical structure of the protein very similar?. I had also wondered about soy milk. I think a spot of detective work after christmas looks possible!

Mammalian milk always has casein. It's one of the defining characteristics. (Soy, not being a mammal, doesn't have casein. ;-) ) Different mammal species, however, have sometimes substantially different compositions of chemicals that make up their milk. For instance, casein comes in more than one variety, and cow's milk has a much higher percentage of one of the varieties than goat's milk does. So, if it's just that variety you have a problem with, you may find that you do alright on cow's milk. But they both still have both kinds of casein, just in different amounts.

DonnaD Apprentice
Mammalian milk always has casein. It's one of the defining characteristics. (Soy, not being a mammal, doesn't have casein. ;-) ) Different mammal species, however, have sometimes substantially different compositions of chemicals that make up their milk. For instance, casein comes in more than one variety, and cow's milk has a much higher percentage of one of the varieties than goat's milk does. So, if it's just that variety you have a problem with, you may find that you do alright on cow's milk. But they both still have both kinds of casein, just in different amounts.

Ah hah that is interesting, so the goats could be causing the rhinitis/sinus trouble? I used to be 100% soy but found goats milk/butter etc easier to cook with.

Thanks T! ;)

Archived