This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Coca Cola Products

Thomas

Thomas Apprentice

I wrote to Coca Cola to find out which of their drinks are gluten free. And they just replied today. Here is the relpy.

Thank you for contacting The Coca-Cola Company,

We are able to confirm that Coca-Cola classic, caffeine free Coca-Cola

classic, diet Coke, diet Coke with Lemon, caffeine free diet Coke,

Sprite, diet Sprite, Vanilla Coke, diet Vanilla Coke, Cherry Coke, Fresca,

and our 100% juice products (without added flavors) are gluten free.

As with all medical conditions, we would suggest that you consult with

your healthcare provider to determine the appropriate foods for your

dietary needs.

If you have additional questions or comments, please visit our Web site

again.

Christine

The Coca-Cola Company

Industry and Consumer Affairs

• 10 months later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I just got this information from Coca-cola from August 2004:

"Coca-cola are ABLE to confirm that their products meet Codex's definition of Gluten Free (under 200 ppm), but are UNABLE to confirm that they are completely Gluten Free at this time".

What do you guys think of this? Are they just saying this to be safe? or is there actually traces of gluten in their products? Does anyone have an updated statement?

Here is a list of some of their products:

Powerade

Minute Maid

Sprite

Nestea

Bacardi Mixers

Coke, caffeine free coke, diet coke, coke c2, caffeine free diet coke, diet coke with lemon, diet coke with lime, vanilla coke, diet vanilla coke, cerry coke, fresca.

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

You have to remember to update your lists and such. August was seven months ago.

Here are some USDA codex stuff:

Open Original Shared Link

Carriefaith Enthusiast

ok...

Does anyone have any new information on their products?

I'm just wondering if they are safe or not.

celiac3270 Collaborator

This is one response from relatively recently--not sure exactly how recently:

Thank you for contacting The Coca-Cola Company.

We are able to confirm that Coca-Cola classic, caffeine free Coca-Cola classic, Coca-Cola C2, Diet Coke, Diet Coke with Lemon, Diet Coke with Lime, caffeine free Diet Coke, Sprite, Sprite ReMix Berryclear, Diet Sprite Zero, vanilla Coke, diet vanilla Coke, cherry Coke, Fresca, and our 100% juice products (without added ingredients) are gluten free.

Additionally, we can tell you that all of our other products meet Codex's definition of gluten-free, which is less than 200 ppm (0.02%) gluten. Codex has examined the data and determined that less than 200 ppm gluten is below the level in which people with celiac disease would experience adverse reactions. However, at this time the U.S. Food and Drug Administration does not have a regulatory definition of gluten-free.

We can assure you that the exact amount of gluten in these products is very low - perhaps even zero. Some minor ingredients in these products are manufactured from plants that gluten-sensitive people could react to, so we are unable to state categorically that they are totally gluten-free even though they may have undetectable levels of gluten in them. The Codex guideline provides a very low threshold for gluten content and exposures below this level are not expected to result in damage to the majority of gluten-sensitive individuals. However, extremely gluten-sensitive individuals should discuss consumption of these products with their health care provider.

We hope that this information is helpful. Should you have additional questions or comments, please visit our website again.

Gisele Industry and Consumer Affairs The Coca-Cola Company

They seem to say: the products listed are definitely gluten-free. Then they mention that ALL of their products meet the Codex standard, but some aren't gluten-free. The brandnames they list are gluten-free...the rest you can use, as they do meet the CODEX standard, but they cannot be guaranteed to be 100% gluten-free.

For those who are wary of Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Co. claims all softdrinks they make are gluten-free.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

celiac3270,

Thanks so much for your help! Since I am still feeling sick I am seriously re-evaluating all my food and other products to make sure what I am eating is 1000000% gluten free. For example, I used to eat humpty dumpty corn chips and I just found out that although they are gluten-free, they don't wash their lines between batches. Hello Contamination! <_<

Anyway... I really appreciate the help!

:):)

• 2 weeks later...
Fonda Newbie

I can't drink dark sodas with caramel coloring in them. On a list that I have it says "according to the FDA Code of Federation Regulations caramel color can be made from barley malt, but US companies use corn because it makes a better product." But, I can't drink coke (I can drink sprite) and I used a marinade the other night that had caramel coloring in it (unknowingly) and my stomach killed me. So, I don't know.... :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived