This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What's Your Comfort Food?

mookie03

mookie03 Contributor

Just curious as to what everyone's food of choice is for when they are accidentally glutened... Before i knew it was gluten, my comfort food was always bread, bagels, crackers, etc., which obviously only made it worse! and of course Tums as well, which also aggravated my symptoms- awesome! Now I usually immediately turn to rice cakes w/ peanut butter, tinkyada pasta, gluten-free waffles (Van's) and nut thins w/ cheese- and i try to eat lots of small meals instead of larger ones...

Ok your turn, whats your comfort food? :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

laurelfla Enthusiast
Ok your turn, whats your comfort food? :)

pasta with a creamy sauce or cheese or chocolate. :D plus Lactaid.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hot tea and Enjoy Life's Gingerbread Spice Cookies.

key Contributor

Stonyfield's lowfat lemon yogurt, bananas and Kinnikinnick english muffins toasted with two poached egg's.

Monica

jerseyangel Proficient

How could I forget bananas?? They don't call them "the Celiac's best friend" for nothing!

Carriefaith Enthusiast

orange juice :)

jenvan Collaborator

Sprite. And some midel or enjoylife cookies, or glutano crackers--"like" saltines.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dlp252 Apprentice

I've found comfort in a baked potato a few times in the last few weeks, lol. :D

Jnkmnky Collaborator

real popcorn with real butter and extra salt and a coke. :P and a movie.

Guest nini

mexican food... the spicier the better! and the cheesier the better!

I don't know why but mexican food has ALWAYS been my fave. comfort food when I wasn't feeling good... it always would soothe my tummy!

Nachos with peppers and cheese and salsa and refried beans... YUM

traveljunkie Rookie

I like to stay with safe foods.

-organic brown rice

-brussel sprouts with cashews

-rice cakes with almond butter

-popcorn

tarnalberry Community Regular

homemade chicken rice soup - *nothing* preprocessed, just in case.

par18 Apprentice

Since I have never been glutened ( on diet since May 05), I don't really have comfort food. Most of the time if I want something to snack on it is usually fruit,yogurt, nuts or chips.

mookie03 Contributor
Since I have never been glutened ( on diet since May 05), I don't really have comfort food. Most of the time if I want something to snack on it is usually fruit,yogurt, nuts or chips.

SERIOUSLY??? You've been on the diet since may and have never been glutened? Well, either you are one of those who doesnt experience symptoms or you are just MUCH better than i am at this- and if thats the case, do you want to start cooking for me? :P

Thanks for all the responses, i was actually curious b/c I noticed how much i still rely on bread-like products as comfort foods, which i found strange considering how sick the real thing makes me- i was curious as to whether other people did the same- but it really seems like we are all over the place in terms of what makes us feel better! (for example, orange juice would be the last food i would turn to when glutened b/c it doesnt make me feel that great to begin with!)

happy holidays everyone!

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Hot tea and white rice. (G-d that sounds depressing - lol).

I also kinda like Glutino sesame seed bagels toasted with vegetable cream cheese (again with my hot tea); but not until some of the pain subsides.

CaliGirl Newbie

I have ginger tea to soothe the nausea, and then I try to get the biggest, healthiest salad I can. I figure the extra fiber helps get the gluten out of my system, and I try to be nice to my body and give it extra-nutritious food. Maybe it's just psycological, though, but I do feel better.

i canary Rookie

My favorite comfort food is a grilled cheese sandwich (made with homemade gluten-free bread). :)

jaten Enthusiast

Wow! That's a great question! Not only does it provide you with trends (or not, since answers are all over the place) but gives all of us comfort food possibilities. As a newly-diagnosed Celiac (about 6 wks) I'd love to hear more responses.

I, too, was a bread lover. Now a quick and easy comfort food is a baked potato covered with Dinty Moore's beef stew (made by Hormel and gluten-free).

Merika Contributor

Comfort food?!? Is there such a thing for a celiac raised in a gluten-eating country??? Blech, the last thing I could be comforted by is food......

Merika

mookie03 Contributor
Comfort food?!? Is there such a thing for a celiac raised in a gluten-eating country??? Blech, the last thing I could be comforted by is food......

Merika

Well i think that is exactly why i wanted to know. I spent most of my life loving food, and regardless how sick it made me, i loved it just the same. Sometimes it amazes me how much damage i was doing to my body by turning to bagel, toast, tums (!), etc. every day when i was sick. I always thought those were "safe" foods b/c i thought they were easy to digest- unlike dairy or veggies.

Despite all the years of being sick, i never lost my love of food and now that i am almost never sick, i have changed my entire diet. However, when i do get sick, i still crave those foods that i used to turn to all the time when i was sick. Yes, those same foods that made me sicker and sicker every day, though now i substitute them w/ the gluten free version. And recently i realized how crazy that is, that i still think of breads, etc. as comfort food, even after realizing it was what was making me so sick.

So thats why i was curious about this-- I mean, SHOULD i be relying on these "comfort" foods or am i only doing it out of habit? Part of me feels like i would be better off training my body to crave healthier foods when i am glutened b/c i need to replenish, like Caligirl said. But it seems so counterintuitive to reach for something difficult to digest when i am feeling crummy, ya know? And i can see now that many of you agree w/ me and reach for the bread substitutes!!!

danikali Enthusiast

When I get glutened (which has happened a lot these past couple weeks!) the only things that didn't hurt my stomach were organic applesauce, bananas and peptobismol helped too. :P

par18 Apprentice
SERIOUSLY??? You've been on the diet since may and have never been glutened? Well, either you are one of those who doesnt experience symptoms or you are just MUCH better than i am at this- and if thats the case, do you want to start cooking for me? :P

Thanks for all the responses, i was actually curious b/c I noticed how much i still rely on bread-like products as comfort foods, which i found strange considering how sick the real thing makes me- i was curious as to whether other people did the same- but it really seems like we are all over the place in terms of what makes us feel better! (for example, orange juice would be the last food i would turn to when glutened b/c it doesnt make me feel that great to begin with!)

happy holidays everyone!

Actually I don't want to cook for myself but I guees it has been the best way to avoid accidential gluten. I have only eaten 3 meals out .( had one today) I imagine one of these days it may happen but I not going to be disappointed if it doesn't. I have often thought what might happen it I ate just a little but can't make myself do it. Anyway happy New Year and wishing good things for everyone.

Archived