This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Quick Question Ladies

SammieMtz

SammieMtz Rookie

Ive had celiac disease for about 6-7months now and i havent treated it (im starting today) anyways I noticed when Im on my menstraul since having celiac disease that the cramps and mood swings are far worse.. I am however 16years old.. Does this happen to alot of you or is it perhaps my age and puberty as well??? :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Sweetie,

I am sorry that I can't help you with your question. I am on the flip side of your situations. I am 51, but wait until other chime in and they can better inform you. Hang in there and there will be an answer soon from someone your age...Take care

Merry Christmas to you.

Lisa B.

Guest CD_Surviver

i am also 16 and i have been gluten-free since i was about 6 but just recently went completely gluten-free and yes i have notice that my menstral cycles are more painful but the pain only last the first few days of the cycle.

Lauren

p.s. if you ever want to talk to someone you can always talk to me. either PM me or if you aim my sn is shackledtojesus

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I had extremely bad ones for a while but the diet has seemed to help. Maybe there is another factor involved or something that could help you because if they are anything like mine used to be they are disabling.

SammieMtz Rookie

yeah mine r still-altho i havent been gluten-free but before i had celiac disease they didnt faze me one bit so hopefully now that im getting gluten-free they will calm down a bit n thanks for the replies- means alot

nettiebeads Apprentice
Ive had celiac disease for about 6-7months now and i havent treated it (im starting today) anyways I noticed when Im on my menstraul since having celiac disease that the cramps and mood swings are far worse.. I am however 16years old.. Does this happen to alot of you or is it perhaps my age and puberty as well??? :unsure:

Age, puberty, and gluten are probably all working together. Most of us with celiac disease notice extreme mood swings after ingesting gluten. And being at the time of your cycle probably doesn't help any either. I used to have horrible cramps when I was younger. Much younger. That was before the days of advil. If you take advil (ibuprofen) just as the pain starts in, you may be able to head off the worst of it. The ibuprofen inhibits the formation of (I think) progesterone, which has been tied to cramps. Or one of the hormones that goes up and down with the cycle. But anyhow, it works. That and midol which has a mild diuretic which also helps in relieving the symptoms.

Those days are long gone for me, but I am a mother to one daughter and was step mom to three girls - Talk about hormone city!!!

Annette

num1habsfan Rising Star

I'm 21, but I got Celiac when I was 18 and since then(even since being on the diet) my menstrual cycle is shot. It comes any day it wants (sometimes a couple months since the last, sometimes a week after the last). It was last 2 to 13 days. Sometimes I have such pain I cant even move, sometimes no pain.

Probably doesnt help you much, but thats my side of the story.

~lisa~

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SammieMtz Rookie
I'm 21, but I got Celiac when I was 18 and since then(even since being on the diet) my menstrual cycle is shot. It comes any day it wants (sometimes a couple months since the last, sometimes a week after the last). It was last 2 to 13 days. Sometimes I have such pain I cant even move, sometimes no pain.

Probably doesnt help you much, but thats my side of the story.

~lisa~

no it does help. thanks.... ive never talked 2 other celiacs before so this is great, its jus great 2 know im not alone

tarnalberry Community Regular

one thing to keep in mind - if you're getting gluten, and your intestines are inflammed, the general inflammation in the area may be putting more pressure on and further irritating the uterus, so that the spasming that causes the painful cramps gets worse. there are a number of things you can do to help with cramps:

1) regular (daily, even not during menstruation) calcium and magnesium supplements

2) regular (daily, even not during menstruation) exercise

3) start taking advil or aleve (not tylenol, it won't help) at least a day or two before cramps would ordinarily start, and keep taking them, at maximum strength for up to a day after they usually stop. getting ahead of the game is important on this one.

4) ok... no one kill me for suggesting this to a 16-year old, but ... orgasm. really - the physiologic effect on the uterus is known to reduce the severity of cramps. orgasm by masturbation is technically the only thing I can suggest, of course, since anything other than that would technically be illegal. ;-)

5) if #4 isn't an option for whatever reason, then menstrual massage may help. you might want to look it up online, or look in "our bodies, our selves", as it's a bit more complicated than I can explain here.

princessfuzzball Rookie

I was just about to ask this as well. I started cycling last night and the pain was at it's peak around noon today. I have been gluten-free for about six months now with a LOT of "accidental" glutenings (long story about my work situation here) and noticed that this is the most pain I was in in a very long time. When I first went gluten-free and was not getting sick, I noticed that my cramping went down and was not as bad. I highly reccomend the pain reliver/ calcium magnesium combination.

Good luck!

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I wonder if some of your problems have nothing to do with celiacs. Many women have menstrual problems without being celiac. I was always very regular, but had a very heavy flow, to the point that I could not leave home for the first 2 or 3 days. I am thankful I am on the down side of menopause--I served my time ;) Deb

Mandya0503 Newbie

I just found out I am a celiac but I've always had extremely painful cramps. I also have endometriosis (which is extremely hard to diagnose) since I was about 14 or so. (I'm 26 now.) I don't think endometriosis and celiac are related at all. But things that work for my cramps are:

Thermocare heating patches (wonderful!)

Advil Liqui-Gels (although I haven't checked if they're gluten free)

Birth Control helps. I went on it when I was 16 to help with the pain. I am very sensitive to the Pill though so I am on Nuva Ring. (The 1st and only birth control that does not make me sick!!) Maybe check with an OB-GYN and see about your options.

:D Mandy

SammieMtz Rookie

thanx and i just moved 2 utah so i dont have a doctor yet.......but i will find one...once again thanx ladies- helps alot

pokerprincess Newbie

Sammie, I have been on the diet for about 3 years consistently. I have noticed a huge change in my menstrual. As long as I continue to stay extremely well it is very light and only last for about 3 days.

Last winter while visiting my sister, I kept getting glutened. I had the worst menstual I have ever had and it lasted for about 8 days with extreme cramps. Now that I am fairly well again it is barely noticable.

The diet should help you tremendously!

Good luck!

once and again Rookie

I read another thread that questioned the connection between mono and celiac disease. I'm also wondering about celiac and menstrual/gynecological connections. Although I am well past menstruating, I remember the horrible cramps. I also had endometriosis (twice) and fibroid tumors.

darkangel Rookie

A connection wouldn't surprise me. When I was on a completely grain-free diet is the only time I EVER had a period without cramps and all kinds of PMS woes.

I'm on a low-dose bc pill to help regulate my cycles and to keep cramps from getting too bad. I've had times when I've almost passed out from the pain.

A word of hope, though... I think it does get better as you get older. I remember my first couple of years of periods being horrible... lots of cramping and very heavy flow.

pokerprincess Newbie

Celiac is the direct effect of a hormone, we know the drastic mood swings that we experience, it only makes since that it would have an effect on something even more obviously physical.quote name='once and again' date='Dec 27 2005, 04:02 PM' post='86858']

I read another thread that questioned the connection between mono and celiac disease. I'm also wondering about celiac and menstrual/gynecological connections. Although I am well past menstruating, I remember the horrible cramps. I also had endometriosis (twice) and fibroid tumors.

anerissara Enthusiast

I had been getting progressivly worse cramps and bad pms the couple of years when the celiac disease started getting bad, before I went gluten free. I had never had either, so it was a real adjustment! After I went gluten-free, both things have really been reduced. I have no idea *why*, but it sure seemed to help!

SammieMtz, I live in Utah and got a suggestion from someone on a good Dr., I will look up her name again and post it here.

carriecraig Enthusiast

Huh, never made a connection, but my cycle has been out of whack for a few years, even while on the pill. I get spotting almost every month, and now that I've been gluten-free, I've had major mood swings and cramps. <_<

anerissara Enthusiast

Here are the dr.s in Utah (SLC area, there's a link somewhere that has others I think if you need it)

Linda S. Book, M.D.

Primary Childrens Hospital

Tel: (801) 588-3370

Janet Harnsberger, M.D. - Pediatric Gastroenterologist

Cottonwood Medical Tower

250 E 5770 S #330

Salt Lake City, UT 84107

Dr. Michael J. Sossenheimer

5810 So 300 East #235

Murray, Utah 84107

I had Dr. Harnsberger recommended to me by my kids' pediatrician, and since you're 16 she might be a good choice!

Kailynsmom Apprentice

My OB told me that diahhrea is normal with your period! Thank GOD! Otherwise I have a mild flu every month- haha!

Could it just be a combo of womanitis + celiac disease?

SammieMtz Rookie

ive never had the symptom^^^ but i do think that celiac diease really does interview or basically make our period worse....one day ill find out tho. Im going to college and then to medical school and im goin 2 study celiac diease and try to find a cure(doubt it.haha) or figure more out to help myself and other celiacs.... and anerissara thanks so much for the list of doctors- its greatly appreciated. and sorry guys Ill start sending out the emails right now

Archived