4 replies to this topic

#1 CeliaCruz

CeliaCruz

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 07:27 PM

So I made this awesome turkey meatloaf a few nights ago (Lay's Stax instead of breadcrumbs etc. -- gluten free, all the way) and I got this weird feeling in my gut after I started eating it. I went and retrieved the package from the Shadybrook Farms ground turkey and noticed that the label said that it contained ground turkey...and NATURAL FLAVORING! My internet access was down but the symptoms just kept coming so I assumed there was something wrong. My internet goes back up. I log onto the Delphi forums and apparently Shadybrook Farms Ground Turkey is safe. Instantly, my symptoms recede...like magic. But then again, maybe it was just time for them to dissapate.

So is the Delphi info out of date? Or did I psyche myself into a faux-glutening? (Or did some evil fairy sprinkle breadcrumbs into my mouth while I was sleeping....) Anyone else with a bad experience with ground turkey meat from Shadybrook farms?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 08:34 PM

You psyched yourself out. Here's what Shadybrook says on its website:

Does Shady Brook Farms™ Turkey contain gluten or MSG? TOP

Most all of our products are MSG and gluten free. The only exceptions are our meatballs, a new Teriyaki Tenderloin and a new frozen Turkey Burger.

All of our deli meats are also MSG and gluten free.

We don't use flour on the conveyor belts in any of our Shady Brook Farms™ processing plants.

richard

#3 Kurly

Kurly

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:06 PM

So I made this awesome turkey meatloaf a few nights ago (Lay's Stax instead of breadcrumbs etc. -- gluten free, all the way) and I got this weird feeling in my gut after I started eating it. I went and retrieved the package from the Shadybrook Farms ground turkey and noticed that the label said that it contained ground turkey...and NATURAL FLAVORING! My internet access was down but the symptoms just kept coming so I assumed there was something wrong. My internet goes back up. I log onto the Delphi forums and apparently Shadybrook Farms Ground Turkey is safe. Instantly, my symptoms recede...like magic. But then again, maybe it was just time for them to dissapate.

So is the Delphi info out of date? Or did I psyche myself into a faux-glutening? (Or did some evil fairy sprinkle breadcrumbs into my mouth while I was sleeping....) Anyone else with a bad experience with ground turkey meat from Shadybrook farms?

I just ate some Shadybrook farms and am having a gluten reaction as well. Trying to figure out what I ate that could have had gluten in it. Nothing new in my diet today (I am new to the gluten-free diet and being really careful about reading all labels and eating a lot of fruits/veggies and almost everything homemade). Tonight I decided to try and made a turkey meatloaf and bought turkey meat from Shadybrook farms, the label looked safe enough, bought gluten-free bread crumbs. Threw in onions, an egg, and Heinz Ketchup (labeled gluten-free). So if the turkey is gluten-free can't figure why I've ran to the bathroom already in the hour 2 times! This is the first time since changing the diet that I've had a problem. I think that there might be a slight amount of gluten in the turkey even if they say there isn't... if we react to it, there must be!

#4 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:37 PM

A caution to readers: This topic is from December of 2005. A lot may have changed in over five years. Research current ingredients in the products rather than relying on old information here.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:42 PM

I think that there might be a slight amount of gluten in the turkey even if they say there isn't... if we react to it, there must be!

Well, no, not necessarily. Many of us have additional food intolerance issues beyond gluten. We are quick to blame gluten, but there may be other causes. I react violently to shrimp, but that does not prove that shrimp contain gluten. What it does demonstrate is that I am highly allergic to shellfish. A serious issue for me, but nothing to do with celiac disease or gluten.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: