This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Lactose Intolerance ?!

romeo77

romeo77 Rookie

hey there, was diagnosed about 6 weeks ago and for the first 4 weeks i could stomach dairy , however was getting these unknown loss of breaths and a sort of reaction afterwards , didnt know at the time it could be attibuted to being also lactose intolerance.... iv started lactose/dairy free, i was wondering if this happened to anyone else?? the fact they also became lactose intolerant only a short time after being diagnosed???? whenever i have dairy/lactose now, like when i re-introduce it... it sort of makes me feel like im going to diahorrea and just yuck all day in the stomach in general , going to the toilet heaps after any food i eat etc...

should i wait maybe a few weeks on the lactose/dairy free diet (as well as gluten free) and then maybe try and re-introduce it again >?>

send your thoughts

thankyou

dan

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

That makes sense. In most celiacs, the villi (extremely small, finger-like protrusions from the intestinal wall that expand the surface area and absorb nutrients) are blunted to some degree... and the part of each villus that deals with lactose is the tip--it is the part that is damaged first and repaired LAST (since it grows back from bottom up). Lactose intolerance is common during the healing process and may continue later. A dairy-free or dairy-limited (or just lactose-free if you find casein doesn't bother you) is ideal.

glen4cindy Apprentice
That makes sense. In most celiacs, the villi (extremely small, finger-like protrusions from the intestinal wall that expand the surface area and absorb nutrients) are blunted to some degree... and the part of each villus that deals with lactose is the tip--it is the part that is damaged first and repaired LAST (since it grows back from bottom up). Lactose intolerance is common during the healing process and may continue later. A dairy-free or dairy-limited (or just lactose-free if you find casein doesn't bother you) is ideal.

I have a related question. I have been lactose intolerant for awhile now. I never used to have any lactose or gluten problems. The problems with lactose started first. I have been doing my very best to stay completely off of gluten and have been doing very well unless I get it by mistake, like because some restaurant tells me something is fine and it ends up not being so.

Anyway, does anyone here that has problems with lactose or anyone that may know, this question is for you. I have been using Lactade Milk. Carton says it is 100% lactose-free. I can no longer consume regular milk, cheese, or similar items just by using lactade or dairy tablets. I have not had any problems using the Lactade brand milk, but, drank some Lactade Egg Nog, carton says 100% lactose free, and got pretty sick, and to my knowledge did not get glutened.

On these products, the first thing listed on the label is MILK. Lower down the list is lactase enzyme. (May not be spelled correctly, item is not in front of me.) How can this be lactose free? Does the enzyme consume the lactose or what? Could this stuff say 100% lactose free if it really wasn't? Anyone else have any experience with this stuff? Thanks for any help.

Glen

laurelfla Enthusiast

Hi, Dan, Glen and celiac3270!

celiac3270, that was the best description of celiac disease-related lactose intolerance i've come across! thanks!

i'm currently doing the Lactaid thing... i think i had lactose problems for a while before i found out about Celiac, so i'm not sure whether mine will clear up or not. however, i don't have any problems if i use Lactaid milk with cereal or take the tablet when i eat ice cream, etc. i don't know why there would be the enzyme in lactose-free milk... interesting question. i don't think they could claim 100% lactose free, though, if it really wasn't. by contrast, i have talked to a couple of people who say they have to take more Lactaid *pills* than the indicated dosage on the package, in order to avoid symptoms from eating lactose.

Dan, i'd give it awhile on the lactose-freeness, i think. i'm definitely no expert on this stuff, but perhaps you want to be as kind to your small intestine as you can while it heals and not give your stomach extra things to worry about too soon. do you have the symptoms when you eat dairy without lactose? ice cream will send me straight to the bathroom, ahem, when i'm done eating it, but if i eat Kraft cheddar, for instance (0g of lactose) then i am just fine.

i feel your pain, though. just doesn't seem fair that any of us should have to cut more stuff out of our diet!

CMCM Rising Star
hey there, was diagnosed about 6 weeks ago and for the first 4 weeks i could stomach dairy , however was getting these unknown loss of breaths and a sort of reaction afterwards , didnt know at the time it could be attibuted to being also lactose intolerance.... iv started lactose/dairy free, i was wondering if this happened to anyone else?? the fact they also became lactose intolerant only a short time after being diagnosed???? whenever i have dairy/lactose now, like when i re-introduce it... it sort of makes me feel like im going to diahorrea and just yuck all day in the stomach in general , going to the toilet heaps after any food i eat etc...

should i wait maybe a few weeks on the lactose/dairy free diet (as well as gluten free) and then maybe try and re-introduce it again >?>

send your thoughts

thankyou

dan

Dan, for YEARS I thought I was just lactose intolerant. I bought the lactaid pills, but always ate dairy moderately....and whenever I did, big digestive upset etc, same stuff you mentioned. I didn't know about the casein sensitivity, and I never suspected celiac disease because I wasn't losing weight or skinny, which I thought always happened with celiac disease. I focused entirely on the lactose thing. The description in this thread is GREAT, it really explains things. I'm hoping that after a long stint gluten free, I can eventually go back to moderate dairy, but I can see that for awhile I just can't have it.

Carole

Archived