Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Spelt Flour

8 posts in this topic

The local natural food store has a flour that is labeled gluten free and its called spelt flour. I made some great tasting bownies with it and loved them. Now someone told me I can not have spelt flour-is it ok? I never have had GI problems so I don't know if its bad for you or not? Would love some input regarding this. Cause it worked just like real flour and I can have some of my life again!

Ads by Google:

ABSOLUTELY NOT GLUTEN-FREE

Spelt is a form of wheat, and despite what any health food store employees will say (MANY are misguided on this), it is wheat and therefore, not gluten-free.

Even look it up in the dictionary and you'll see it, for example m-w.com (Merriam Webster's):

spelt

2 entries found for spelt.

To select an entry, click on it.

Main Entry: 1spelt

Pronunciation: 'spelt

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English, from Old English, from Late Latin spelta, of Germanic origin; perhaps akin to Middle High German spelte split piece of wood, Old High German spaltan to split -- more at SPLIT

: a wheat (Triticum aestivum spelta) with lax spikes and spikelets containing two light red kernels

Many bakeries, for example, are making bread of spelt flour, a slightly sweeter and more expensive form of wheat, says Guy Souerbry of Village Baker in Ashland, who makes about 50 loaves of it a month.

"It’s for people with wheat allergies, who say they get skin rash, digestion problems, tingling, welts. They don’t get it with spelt," says Souerbry, who also makes a yeast- free sourdough spelt for those allergic to yeast.

celiac3270:

I got this off the article you had posted in the news.

Thanks

Sally

Let us know what you think

People with lactose intolerance can tolerate some forms easier than others (i.e. some ice cream might be bad, but something else might not). But spelt still contains gluten--and it doesn't matter what type of gluten it is, it will still result in villous atrophy.

Look at the second point in this list on celiac.com: (re: spelt)

http://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodi...-53105044419.fc

Some people who have a WHEAT ALLERGY can have spelt - most shouldn't though. But that is DIFFERENT from people who have CELIAC. A celiac can NOT have spelt. Period.

this is one of the biggest mistakes many people make when trying to go gluten free... most health food store employees are under the mistaken impression that "wheat free equals gluten free" this is NOT TRUE. Spelt is wheat period. Some people with wheat allergies can tolerate spelt better, but it is not safe for Celiacs at all. Stay away from Spelt, Kamut, Einkhorn, Triticale... these are all forms of wheat.

SPELT=GLUTEN. As said, it is not gluten free! I was told it was too and they are giving out false info by saying that...it is not gluten free at all!!! Stay away from it.

Thanks guys: I would of eaten it based on that article. What a mistake that would of been. :blink: